Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 10th August 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question E520 - stick, wait or upgrade now?

I've just joined this Forum, having been on another Forum about 7 or 8 years ago.

I have an E520 in great condition and 4 lenses - the two kits, 9-18, 70-300

I also have two Olympus film cameras - OM2 and OM2 N with about 6 lenses (inc a 1.2 50mm)

I have a converter to use the OM lenses on the E520 - though seldom do so.

I like the E520 for its lightness. I don't like heavy kit. I tend to lug either 4 lenses or 3 lenses and a flash gun on long walks around countryside and cities, so I've been put off heavier systems.

I am looking at whether it's a good idea to upgrade to the micro 4/3 system.

I could buy one of the micros - maybe an M5 or an M10. If I did, I'd probably go for one with kits lenses as these tend to be great deals.

I could also wait until the next models come out which may also be worthwhile. The way systems change and become obsolescent, there may be something to be said for missing out one development - depending on what is around the corner next.

I know I could buy the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adaptor, though I believe that some of my 4/3 lenses would work better on some micro 4/3 bodies than others...I hear the kit lenses aren't great, but the others focus faster. Is that right?

I'd rather not buy a complete micro 4/3 set up and replace all my lenses - may cost me 1500+
I guess I could do that in time.

Is the weight of the micro system about the same as the 4/3 or less or more? Am I going to see an improvement by getting the micro system and using the 4/3 lenses on it, or do I have to have all micro lenses to see an improvement?

How about using OM lenses on the micro compared to the 4/3? Is this easier and better or the same?

So what's the advice?

Stick, wait or upgrade now?

Many thanks.
Old 10th August 2016

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: E520 - stick, wait or upgrade now?

I confess that I've never used the older Olympus 4/3 gear but I took a close look at it years ago when I eventually went Canon. The sensor in them is very dated now and an upgrade to m43 will be well worth it for this reason alone.

If you want to use your 4/3 lenses then you should get the E-M1. It's the only m43 camera that has the PDAF and necessary circuitry to operate the AF properly. They'll work on the other bodies but AF will be very slow and unreliable.

If you have the money though, if be tempted to sell all the 4/3 gear and buy new. It you don't want to spend too much initially, just get the 12-40 and then add others later. The m43 lenses are generally smaller and lighter and will focus faster and more reliably.

As to timing... Well, we know that the new E-M1 is just around the corner, but I'd be surprised given the rumours of production delays due to earthquake damage at the fab plant if any real users (as opposed to reviewers) get their hands on them before Mar-April next year. I also suspect it'll be pricey - probably 1200 or more (the Pen F is still around 999). So - I'd say do it now and maybe buy a used camera to keep the cost down. A used E-M10 will likely be 200-250 and is an excellent camera in all ways. I bought one for my wife and it's actually better than the E-M5 IMHO.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Snookerman (10th August 2016)
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great. Thanks.

Well, the present E M1 seems to weigh about the same as the E520. Will the new E M1 still handle the old 4/3 lenses the same as the old one? I'm not sure if that info is avial.

I can certainly wait till next year - no problem at all, though I guess I could get the present E M1 cheaper new at that point - prob with some kit lenses.

Ok, so the new micro sytem will be much better processing-wise - that seems to be the message.

It seem that an E m1 is going to be a better bet if I want to keep using the lenses - hopefully at not too much cost in being overly cumbersome or with the handling.

I guess buying an EM10 with two kit lenses is still going to be cheaper than an E M1 - but then I have the two non-kit lenses from the 4/3 system to use with it at a disadvantage over the E M1, I guess.

Last edited by Snookerman; 10th August 2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Welcome aboard, Snookerman.

That's a pretty broad question you asked so I'll take a slightly different tack from Paul.

If you like your OM lenses (and the 50/1.2 is gorgeous) there should be no problem using it with any Micro-4/3 body and you may well find it better than using it on your E-520. You can get adapters to fit OM directly to m43 - have a look at SRC-Griturn - http://srb-photographic.co.uk/micro-...tor-6041-p.asp

Of course you will only get manual focus, as there are no electronics or motors in the lenses, but you may find that the electronic viewfinder in m43 bodies is more helpful than the small optical viewfinder of the E-520. Some, possibly all, m43 bodies allow you to magnify the image for manual focus as well, and you will get the benefits of image stabilization.

Paul has already mentioned that the only m43 body that does good autofocus with older 4/3 lenses is the E-M1. If you are not concerned with AF performance you should find that the lenses will perform as well on any micro-4/3 body as they did on older "big" 4/3, but if you want to shoot moving subjects they will definitely struggle on anything except the E-M1.

As a low-cost option I'd suggest getting hold of any used well-priced OM-D body (the OM-Ds are the E-M1, E-M5, E-M10 - the micro-4/3 bodies that look like SLRs with an integrated viewfinder) plus adapters for your OM and older 4/3 lenses. Then you can try it out and see if you get on with the system - if you do, you could spring more ackers for a higher-spec body like the E-M1, if you don't your losses will be relatively limited.

The original OM-D body was the E-M5 and it was a real beauty - coming from OM film cameras via the E-system it was the first digital camera that felt just right to me. Now that the E-M5 Mark 2 and the E-M1 are around, you may well be able to find a second-hand E-M5 for a good price. You will miss out on the latest developments in technology but it can still take wonderful photos.

As for waiting for what might be in the wings - as with all things electronic you could wait for ever as there is always something "better" just around the corner!

Good luck ... John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ok. Good advice.

Where do recommend for decent second hand deals - and in fact new (Bristol cameras?).

I take it my 4/3 OM adaptor is no good now? Or would it fit on the other adaptor to join the two together whilst running m$/3 and OM together?

BTW, what happens to focal length and F stops with adaptors?

I suppose I could run 2 bodies:
keep the 2 non kit lenses and use them on the E520
Get a new camera and use a new lense on that.
Saves swapping lenses a lot.

I guess I could try to sell the lot - but wouldn't get much, perhaps.

Could also try to sell the OM2s and some of the lenses.

If that raises enough, then it may be worth starting from scratch.
Old 10th August 2016

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

I'll throw in my bit now as well & welcome (from downunder ).

While the E-M1 is the only one that does PD-AF those two lenses 9-18 & 70-300 will both work & are optimised to work in Live View (CD-AF, as you would have noticed on your E520 so long as they are up to date with their firmware) on all the other models as well using CD-AF. I first used the 70-300 lens on my EM-5 but as you know that lens is not a fast focussing lens anyhow (& noisy too), but it did work. The E-M1 won't use CD-AF with those lenses as it defaults to PD-AF & in low light it can be a slight disadvantage (with those lenses) over CD-AF in the later bodies, however, I still prefer the E-M1 over my E-M5.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Ross, thanks for your input

I don't remember ever having updated firmware on my E520 system, though I may have done as it's regularly attached to my PC to upload shots.

I don't use live view much as in brighter light, the eyepiece is better and I just like using the eyepiece.

Yes, the 70-300 is very noisy!

What I think I hear you saying (though I may be wrong) is that the advantages of using the EM1 over the EM5/10 for the 70-300 and 9-18 are not that large and don't merit buying an EM1 on their own. There are however other reasons for going for an EM1.
Old 10th August 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
Hi Ross, thanks for your input

I don't remember ever having updated firmware on my E520 system, though I may have done as it's regularly attached to my PC to upload shots.

I don't use live view much as in brighter light, the eyepiece is better and I just like using the eyepiece.

Yes, the 70-300 is very noisy!

What I think I hear you saying (though I may be wrong) is that the advantages of using the EM1 over the EM5/10 for the 70-300 and 9-18 are not that large and don't merit buying an EM1 on their own. There are however other reasons for going for an EM1.
Yes, there are other reasons for the E-M1 that make it worthwhile. It would feel more like an E-520 in your hand than the others & if you like that grip (as I do) then that is part of the camera without spending extra for one (battery grip for E-M5 & Mk II etc). The E-M1 Mk II is expected to be announced this September but we may not see stock till early next year if components are still delayed (from the earth quake) & the E-M1 is much better in price right now than a new model would be.

Maybe I can take a photo side by side of the E520 & 70-300 lens & the E-M1 with the M75-300 lens so you can get a good comparison, plus the E-M1 with the 70-300 lens mounted. I'll do that in the morning though as it is bed time now. BTW, the 70-300 lens was last updated in FW in Feb 2012. You can update through Olympus Viewer 3 (it needs to be updated to the latest, 2.0.1 for all camera updates as well).
Quote:
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Update

ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.4
has incorporated the following upgrade.

[Modification]
Focusing during MF operation has been improved.
* Upgrade history *
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.3

Resolved unstable sequential shooting when using C-AF on the E-3 and E-30.
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.2

IMAGER AF is available when supported by the camera. *Depending on the condition of the subject, the focusing speed near the telephoto end may slow down to maintain focusing accuracy.
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.1

Stabilized exposure precision.
EDIT: Some people have to have the latest & best & these rumours keep feeding their GAS.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Old 10th August 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

The only valid reason to upgrade any camera/system is when the end results are not good enough for what you want them for.

If your images only ever get shown on an HDTV or printed into photo books, then the kit you have is perfectly adequate. The Image Quality of the final media as it is presented is the determining factor.

Having said that, there are some very good reasons to update to obtain capability. I like to use tethered capture and had this on the E-500, but when WiFi control appeared and I could use an iPhone, that was a big reason for me to update.

Finally, of course, there is GAS...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (10th August 2016)
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Ross,

Yes, I'd like to see those pics. It will give me some idea. Thank you for that
I'll take a look at the firmware update soon.

Graham,
I do sell some pics to a magazine brand. Not a lot but I have a few printed every year and it makes me a little bit of money. The E520 is fine as you say, but there are two things that it is not so good at -
the skies can be a bit whited out when it is overcast - I often shoot on -0.3 or even -0.7 to help with this or use filters.
It is not great in low light - pics can be a bit over grainy and it doesn't focus so well.
From what I've heard, any of the M43 cameras will impoove on these features.

I suspect that I will either wait for the new EM1 to come out (I am in no rush) and then bounce that off the reduced price of the mk1 to see which is the better bet for me, or I will go for an EM10 - with two kit lenses. I will then buy an adapter, but maybe keep the E520 and if I need to go out with two bodies, I may stick either the 70-300 or (more likely) the 9-18 on it.

How have people who used the adaptor found it for handlability? Is it much more cumbersome? I take it it does not affect the focal length, but what does it do to the apperture?
Old 10th August 2016

Liked 848 Times in 543 Posts

I had an E-620 for a couple of years and then changed to an E-M5. I much prefer the EVF to the tiny optical finder on the FT bodies, and the quality of the images from the M5 is much better. I have the 12-60 and 50-200 FT lenses but seldom use either now because of the focussing issues - especially with the 50-200. If you want to use your OM lenses on a mFT body I can confirm that you can stack a FT-OM adaptor and a mFT-FT adaptor. Not especially pretty, but it works . There is no effect on aperture but focal length of the OM lens is effectively doubled on mFT as per FT.

With software like DxO Optics Pro to correct the lens aberrations I can barely tell the difference in the results from the mFT 12-50 compared with the much bigger and heavier FT 12-60, and I know which I'd rather carry around! The IBIS and improved noise performance of the E-M5 more than compensates for the wider aperture of the 12-60 - unless the wider aperture is important for depth of field effects.
Old 10th August 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I strongly recommend that you get the 4/3rds to MFT adaptor and the OM to 4/3rds adaptor, as that caters for both the OM & FT lenses, directly, plus there are many other adaptors that will fit into those in various combinations.

I use that set up and can even mount old lenses with an OM to 52mm reversing ring. One favourite is the OM Bellows with an 80mm Bellows Macro lens.

At the other end my 400 & 600mm Sigma lenses still have their useses...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th August 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I had an E-620 for a couple of years and then changed to an E-M5. I much prefer the EVF to the tiny optical finder on the FT bodies, and the quality of the images from the M5 is much better. I have the 12-60 and 50-200 FT lenses but seldom use either now because of the focussing issues - especially with the 50-200. If you want to use your OM lenses on a mFT body I can confirm that you can stack a FT-OM adaptor and a mFT-FT adaptor. Not especially pretty, but it works . There is no effect on aperture but focal length of the OM lens is effectively doubled on mFT as per FT.

With software like DxO Optics Pro to correct the lens aberrations I can barely tell the difference in the results from the mFT 12-50 compared with the much bigger and heavier FT 12-60, and I know which I'd rather carry around! The IBIS and improved noise performance of the E-M5 more than compensates for the wider aperture of the 12-60 - unless the wider aperture is important for depth of field effects.
I have only bought my 12-60 & 50-200 SWD lenses (used) during the last 18 months to use on my E-M1 since that model does work well with them. I would have loved both those lenses when using the E520 & E30 though.

EDIT: I'll get to those photos after breakfast.
Old 11th August 2016

OK, here's my photos comparing the E-M1 & E-520 with the ZD70-300 lens (& M.ZD75-300 lens).

And the ZD70-300 lens on the E-M1 (with MMF-3 adapter).

I hope that helps. BTW, it is only the E-M10 models that include a pop-up flash in the body while the others have a small flash that fit in the hot-shoe & also connects to the Accessories Port (covered) just beneath the hot-shoe.

Old 11th August 2016

Liked 665 Times in 343 Posts

Welcome.

All the points are already addressed by the seniors/veterans. As for me, I must admit I am a GAS head. I moved from the FT to mFT and sold most of what I have except for a few items.

The FT lenses are superb and they are slightly brighter than the mFT equivalents. Other than that, if you are nit picky, then you may not like the over corrections in some of the mFT lenses as compared to the FT ones. (very subjective and dangerous statement)

In early 2015, I went to an Airshow with the FT 70-300/4-5.6 instead of the mFT 45-200 (panny). All because of the 100 mm difference. HUGE mistake. The 70-300 AF was hunting like crazy I missed a lot of shots and the Tracking was almost non existent.

But that lens did get some pretty good shots..

If you don't mind, try picking a used EM-1. I think in the next few months, there may be some sellout as the replacement for it will be launched.

All my garbage so far.

Tags
e520, four thirds