Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 6th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Found Some!

Signs of winter that is

I went to Hatchett Pond this afternoon, it's here . I was amazed to find it almost completely frozen over.

Here are one or two from the first edits.

A skating swan, on its way to the only part of the pond that wasn't frozen. I used the "expose to the right" rule, and was a bit disappointed by the result

A pony looking for water to drink, the pond is frozen frozen right the way across so it was unlucky, although I did see water coming out of a spring a short distance away, so it won't go completely thirsty.

Sunset, with the swans in the only are of clear water.

Some old posts growing out of the ice, caught by the sunset

It's a bit disappointing that the water doesn't really look as if it's frozen in any of the pictures, but I don't really know what to do about it.

Any ideas?
Old 6th January 2009
Makonde

Re: Found Some!

I also hared off to a local pond, which was frozen over, to find all the birds had deserted it and the local yobs had thrown sticks and rubbish across the ice.....
Old 6th January 2009
MarkVarley

Cool Re: Found Some!

Some lovely shots there!
I start shooting for my new book tomorrow (5 months of shooting begins in the morning!) and hope to see some signs of winter, something more picturesque than people shivering at bus stops!
Old 7th January 2009

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I used the "expose to the right" rule, and was a bit disappointed by the result
Use the camera histogram.

As long as you didn't blow any but the specular highlights, you did the right thing and captured as much data as the sensor was capable of. How you PP that data would determine the look of the final image. If you exposed towards the left, you would have drastically reduced the amount of data the sensor was capable of capturing, and as a result would have had less data to subsequently manipulate. The more data you can capture, the more you have for later adjustment 'to taste'.

In the case of the swan, you exposed too far to the right, and 'blew' the body (swans are difficult anyway - I've given up trying with them!).

Jim
Old 7th January 2009
Henk

Very nice shots with lots of atmosphere Ellie, the pony is my favorite.

Quote:
I used the "expose to the right" rule, and was a bit disappointed by the result
I found that often highlights are not visible on the histogram and now use the highlight display function which gives me better results.

Quote:
It's a bit disappointing that the water doesn't really look as if it's frozen in any of the pictures, but I don't really know what to do about it.
Ever seen a swan walk on water?
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVarley View Post
Some lovely shots there!
I start shooting for my new book tomorrow (5 months of shooting begins in the morning!) and hope to see some signs of winter, something more picturesque than people shivering at bus stops!
Good luck with the book, Mark, let us know how it progresses.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Ellie, you've got some fantastic pictures here - and the water looks frozen enough for me.... I had to put another fleece on just looking at them!

They're all good but I particularly like No 3, with the swans occupying the small pool of open water and the ducks apparently waiting patiently in line on the ice until it's their turn! The swan with open wings is a real bonus. Superb image, wish it was mine!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau