Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th July 2015

Liked 3,095 Times in 1,663 Posts
Re: Freedom of Panorama Petition

We visit private gardens, open to the public to raise funds for charity, on summer weekends. Each has a poster, provided by the charity, which has a condition that no photos may be taken for commercial purposes without the permission of the owner. Nobody bothers me as I photograph flowers, I would challenge them to show that my image was from their plant (as it was weeks, months or years prior to their complaint.

In English law, to share information, and image, etc. with a third party is to publish.

"Publish" rhymes with "bullish". Almost an apt match, to a tee!

In the meantime, no pictures of the Tower of London without permission from William the Conqueror.

Harold
Old 4th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

I have said in many places; Google's lawyers will have something to say about the effect it will have on street view, etc...

Getty Images will likely take a "position" on this as well.

To say nothing of the Bus Tours full of Japanese tourists.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th July 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,436 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
Maybe we should leave the common market before it eats away all our rights?
No, let's just do as the French do - observe the laws that suit us and disregard those that don't. We really need to learn how to play the EU game!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (6th July 2015)
Old 5th July 2015

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

I believe the issue is only related to commercial use, and it's not the photographer's commercial use that is the crux but rather FB/Google's practice of effectively making themselves money by running targeted ads next to the images.

So my first point is that all the outrage being whipped up in well meaning amateur photographers like us is actually to FB/Google's commercial benefit rather than necessarily our own, and we should think a bit about that.

Secondly, I have not yet seen it pointed out that we in the UK already have this very same problem with commercial use of identifiable images of people. The prevailing wisdom is that model releases are not required if the images are not used by the photographer for commercial purposes. Well, what if they're published on FB/Google and they are the ones profiting?

I'm glad to see that the laws of inadequate thought and unintended consequences are still alive and kicking in the jolly old EU

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (6th July 2015)
Old 6th July 2015

Liked 2,250 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
No, let's just do as the French do - observe the laws that suit us and disregard those that don't. We really need to learn how to play the EU game!
Well said john!

However, when mentioning the French you forgot to add 'creating laws only to be upheld by other EU members'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I believe the issue is only related to commercial use, and it's not the photographer's commercial use that is the crux but rather FB/Google's practice of effectively making themselves money by running targeted ads next to the images.

So my first point is that all the outrage being whipped up in well meaning amateur photographers like us is actually to FB/Google's commercial benefit rather than necessarily our own, and we should think a bit about that.

Secondly, I have not yet seen it pointed out that we in the UK already have this very same problem with commercial use of identifiable images of people. The prevailing wisdom is that model releases are not required if the images are not used by the photographer for commercial purposes. Well, what if they're published on FB/Google and they are the ones profiting?

I'm glad to see that the laws of inadequate thought and unintended consequences are still alive and kicking in the jolly old EU
I can only add that we in England have been very good at that over the centuries, and it only ever gets worse! We taught the others how to do it, didn't we?

The problem with all this is that the law may actually be targeting the wrong people. I'm all for jumping up and down on the likes of Facebook; but one organisation that is deeply concerned is Wikimedia. It's product, Wikipedia, benefits us all; and though it carries some advertising, it does have to fund its very existence. Unlike FB and Google, who are out to make a profit. I think FB and its ilk is a rather 'underhand' way of turning a mass movement based around "fun" into a hugely profitable business, and in the process, as I understand it, also undermining e.g. copyright and legitimate professional photographers. I don't know what the solution is; but I am rather concerned to see such a law as this being proposed.