Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th June 2015

Liked 3,104 Times in 1,670 Posts
The Old Boiler Needs Replacing

It seem that HM the Queen is "down to her last £1million".

Buck House needs some repairs. Those who should have got the building repaired have been swinging the lead for decades and now the cost of plumbing alone might pay off the Polish national debt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...condition.html

Harold
Old 24th June 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,451 Times in 726 Posts
Re: The Old Boiler Needs Replacing

Methinks it's not just the boiler that needs replacing... some slackers need to be moved on. As for the Polish national debt, get a few more of their nationals over to do the work as it appears from a news item a few months back we have a dire shortage of the relevant trades-peoples.

On a more 'serious note', this situation should be used by DC and Co., to kick-start his flag-ship apprenticeship idea. Plenty of youngsters to press-gang into various needed trades as well as, giving the impression HMG are actually doing something useful... for a change.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (24th June 2015)
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
It seem that HM the Queen is "down to her last 1million".

Buck House needs some repairs. Those who should have got the building repaired have been swinging the lead for decades and now the cost of plumbing alone might pay off the Polish national debt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...condition.html

Harold
There is no lead left to swing Harold.

Firstly Health and Safety banned it, then the Romanians nicked it!

(They nicked ours anyway.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th June 2015

Just a thought: maybe the Privy Council could sort out the toilet plumbing. They could form a Sitting Committee to devise some Standing Orders.

Harold
Naughty Nigel (24th June 2015)
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
On a more 'serious note', this situation should be used by DC and Co., to kick-start his flag-ship apprenticeship idea. Plenty of youngsters to press-gang into various needed trades as well as, giving the impression HMG are actually doing something useful... for a change.
I quite agree Wally. For far too long the emphasis has been on getting 50% of school leavers into university, to do Media Studies, Sports Technology and Leisure Studies rather than something useful. As a result we no longer have enough plumbers and electricians to keep the house warm and the lights on!

Do school age children not like to work with their hands any more, or to take things apart and put them back together again? (Ours do.)

We should also be teaching people to repair things when they go wrong instead of polluting the planet by throwing them away after two years.

My HiFi equipment is still going strong after more than fifty years, and the manufacturers still repair and service it; so were has 'progress' taken us?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
On a more 'serious note', this situation should be used by DC and Co., to kick-start his flag-ship apprenticeship idea.
From what I can see the 'apprenticeships' that the government (and our local MP) keep banging on about, bear little relation to the one I served! The one I served was a 5 year indentured apprenticeship, which was made when I left school and constituted a contract between my parents and the company.

It seems that any on-the-job training at any age is being labeled an 'apprenticeship' now.The 'apprenticeships' that are often mentioned in Watford are in 'hospitality'. What does that mean - 6 months training as hotel staff? I guess soon that 3 months training stacking shelves in a 'pound shop' will count as an apprenticeship (Though I guess that's fair enough, as the main economic activity in Watford appears to be Pound Shops!).

Jim
Old 24th June 2015

@ Jim. I agree wholeheartedly that an apprenticeship should be just that. Full term as it was as you have described before the numpties in their ivory towers decided to fix something that wasn't broken.

As an example on the shortage of skills we have, several years ago we had to bring out of retirement bricklayers as the skills to do 'barreling' was unknown to the more recent 'skilled' bricklayers. Barreling, aptly named as the finished brickwork resembled a barrel - was required to repair one of the local viaducts. Even more recently, we had to get bricklayers from Portugal as our own crop was so thin on the ground that house building got put on hold.

IMO, far too much emphasis was put on the wrong business model at the expense, where we had too many eggs in one basket. We are all, still suffering from the fallout and as yet, I haven't seen any of the dosh from fines trickling down from on high. Nor have I seen any of the perps in court?

As for coming down hard on tax evasion / avoidance etc., etc., I think the very recent Cherie Blair issue say's it all.

Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
As for coming down hard on tax evasion / avoidance etc., etc., I think the very recent Cherie Blair issue say's it all.
I went to look this up on the net, landed on the Mail Online website, and was then distracted by photographs of Shanina Shaik, so I am none the wiser!

Good photography though.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I went to look this up on the net, landed on the Mail Online website, and was then distracted by photographs of Shanina Shaik, so I am none the wiser!

Good photography though.

Look here ->Down the tubes

Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
Look here ->Down the tubes
Hmmm. Thank you but I think I would rather look down Shanina Shaik's tubes (again).

You would have thought that the Blairs with all of their high profile contacts including Gordon Brown, Ed Balls, Ed Milliband, Lord Goldsmith and so forth couldn't fail to succeed in a venture like this. Perhaps it's just as well they aren't running the country.

It looks as if Tony's tax avoidance schemes could provide a useful template for other tax dodgers, although I'm sure he is only doing it for the good of 'Hard Working People'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

It was under Thatcher that we got rid of apprenticeships. I was at Jaguar then, and remember the Apprentice Training School closing. After the crisis of 1979-80, as the firm adopted more and more of government's pronouncements about how you should run industry, so higher and higher bigwigs came and visited. However, it was Thatcher who said "We don't need manufacturing, service industries will do nicely." We're now paying the price.

Of course, we're following good banking practice - leech off everyone else. Why train anyone when you can get trained craftsmen from Poland etc for nowt? If we got it really right, we could do an exchange - all our untrained "scroungers and layabouts" for Polish, Bulgarian and Romanian craftsmen.

The problem is, of course, that is how the Greeks thought, and look where it's got them. How many Greeks does it take to change a light bulb? None! That's what Albanians, Macedonians, Turks etc are for......
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd July 2015)
Old 2nd July 2015

How many royals does it take to change a light bulb?

One doesn't do that kind of thing!

Harold
Old 2nd July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
How many royals does it take to change a light bulb?

One doesn't do that kind of thing!

Harold
One has a "man" to do that kind of thing. A "man" who is willing to be paid a pittance....doff his cap...bow and scrape....etc
Old 2nd July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
It was under Thatcher that we got rid of apprenticeships. I was at Jaguar then, and remember the Apprentice Training School closing. After the crisis of 1979-80, as the firm adopted more and more of government's pronouncements about how you should run industry, so higher and higher bigwigs came and visited. However, it was Thatcher who said "We don't need manufacturing, service industries will do nicely." We're now paying the price.

Of course, we're following good banking practice - leech off everyone else. Why train anyone when you can get trained craftsmen from Poland etc for nowt? If we got it really right, we could do an exchange - all our untrained "scroungers and layabouts" for Polish, Bulgarian and Romanian craftsmen.

The problem is, of course, that is how the Greeks thought, and look where it's got them. How many Greeks does it take to change a light bulb? None! That's what Albanians, Macedonians, Turks etc are for......

At the time Maggie may have been right (if you measure success by the bottom line), but that would have been a very short term view in my opinion.

Unfortunately, many in business (and some senior politicians for that matter) only keep their jobs based on this quarter's or this month's results. It is all far too short term.

In my line of business I see a huge difference in approach between similar businesses operating in Southern Europe and the UK.

If I recommend rejection of a job in Italy, for example, they will initially throw their hands up in the air, but are usually persuaded that they really don't want the job to go out of the shed with their name on it looking as it does, and will do their best to put things right.

If I rejected the same job here in the UK, senior management would pull out the Contract, go through the text with a fine tooth comb, and then argue that the Contract doesn't say anything about X, Y and Z; and no, 'we aren't going to do anything about it'!

If I then try to persuade them that it isn't a great advert for their business they will ask, "so who is going to pay for the rework then?"

Any guesses where the repeat business goes?

Sometimes you can be so busy counting the pennies that you don't' notice the pounds floating down the river!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
At the time Maggie may have been right (if you measure success by the bottom line), but that would have been a very short term view in my opinion.

Unfortunately, many in business (and some senior politicians for that matter) only keep their jobs based on this quarter's or this month's results. It is all far too short term.

In my line of business I see a huge difference in approach between similar businesses operating in Southern Europe and the UK.

If I recommend rejection of a job in Italy, for example, they will initially throw their hands up in the air, but are usually persuaded that they really don't want the job to go out of the shed with their name on it looking as it does, and will do their best to put things right.

If I rejected the same job here in the UK, senior management would pull out the Contract, go through the text with a fine tooth comb, and then argue that the Contract doesn't say anything about X, Y and Z; and no, 'we aren't going to do anything about it'!

If I then try to persuade them that it isn't a great advert for their business they will ask, "so who is going to pay for the rework then?"

Any guesses where the repeat business goes?

Sometimes you can be so busy counting the pennies that you don't' notice the pounds floating down the river!
"May" of course being the operative word! She of course was convinced that she was infallible....

Sounds like your business was another run by accountants! Price of everything, value of nothing. The problem being that, when they run the show, they base predictions on what went wrong last time - in their blinkered view.

BL was a classic example. They would fight every warranty claim to the bitter end, oblivious to the fact that the customer would go elsewhere next time. I had a Triumph Dolomite in the 70s, and it had a number of annoying problems. The local main dealer didn't give a tuppenny damn. So one day, I rang JLR service on the internal phone, and complained about them. The voice said, "You've come through on internal - do you work here?" I said, yes, at Browns Lane. "Oh, well, I can tell you that we've stopped recording complaints about (this dealer) because we've had so many." "So" said I, "why are they still selling our cars? Why not let them mess up our competitors instead?" Answer? "Oh, you can't think like that!" Not many years later, that main dealer closed with the loss of 70 jobs. The damage it did in the meantime to BL reputation locally was the stuff of legends.

I can also quote another apocryphal story, from many years after. I was told, among the many tales about Colin Chapman, that he often asked his senior execs "Why are we always looking for new customers?" No-one, it was said, dared tell him.