Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th June 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts
Re: Moving from Windows to Mac

Somehow, I think I'm not unhappy with my HP laptop but sometimes a little frustrated with my iPad (Air). If only it (iPad) could just take peripheral USB HDD & flash drives & transfer files like Windows. The main reason I have the iPad was for Olympus OIshare & to show photos with friends on the iPad screen (as well as general browsing) after my budget Android tablet died as I had made a comment to my family that maybe I might try an iPad, so it was duly bought for my birthday last year. I would like to easily transfer whatever file I want from my laptop to the iPad with having to "sync with iTunes" (or having to buy some other program to do that but still requires iTunes on my laptop)!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (24th June 2015)
Old 24th June 2015

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_ View Post
I'm fairly certain one can use a 4g dongle or access point on either a Windows device or Mac if you purchase the compatible model.

Its not worth worrying about the weird reasons people brew up for one OS or the other although its entertaining to read!
Good points Rich. The base of my current laptop is only about one centimetre deep at its thickest point, and the Ethernet port definitely stands out in the magnesium alloy casting!

With regard to 4G access; I find it incredibly useful to have the device built into the laptop, not least because I can't leave it at home or snap it off.

This is a feature that I have enjoyed in my last three Toshiba laptops (since about the same time I bought my Olympus E1), so it has been around for quite a while.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Somehow, I think I'm not unhappy with my HP laptop but sometimes a little frustrated with my iPad (Air). If only it (iPad) could just take peripheral USB HDD & flash drives & transfer files like Windows. The main reason I have the iPad was for Olympus OIshare & to show photos with friends on the iPad screen (as well as general browsing) after my budget Android tablet died as I had made a comment to my family that maybe I might try an iPad, so it was duly bought for my birthday last year. I would like to easily transfer whatever file I want from my laptop to the iPad with having to "sync with iTunes" (or having to buy some other program to do that but still requires iTunes on my laptop)!
There is a dongle thing that you can buy for the iPad which accepts an SD card, and automatically transfers images from the card to the iPad. The iPad will then allow you to view raw OR Jpeg files directly. The dongles cost £25 GBP here in the UK.

The only downside is that the iPad will only accept one image of each file name; so if your camera is set to write both Jpeg and raw images as mine is, only the Jpeg will be uploaded. There is no choice in this matter.

As a point of interest, my Sony S3 phone comes with a USB adapter socket, so it can be connected to a camera via the usual USB cable, and the images uploaded and viewed just like a PC (raw images included).

Unlike some other phones the Sony can easily be fitted with 64 or 128 GB micro SD cards, so there is plenty of storage space on board.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
There is a dongle thing that you can buy for the iPad which accepts an SD card, and automatically transfers images from the card to the iPad. The iPad will then allow you to view raw OR Jpeg files directly. The dongles cost 25 GBP here in the UK.

The only downside is that the iPad will only accept one image of each file name; so if your camera is set to write both Jpeg and raw images as mine is, only the Jpeg will be uploaded. There is no choice in this matter.

As a point of interest, my Sony S3 phone comes with a USB adapter socket, so it can be connected to a camera via the usual USB cable, and the images uploaded and viewed just like a PC (raw images included).

Unlike some other phones the Sony can easily be fitted with 64 or 128 GB micro SD cards, so there is plenty of storage space on board.
Thanks, I do have that SD card dongle but I want to show off my (select) photos that I've edited with Capture One etc as well or I might want to load a PDF or Word (or equivalent) document & I did buy a transfer program for my last laptop (before it went belly up trying to update to Win 8.1 & with a couple of hardware faults) & it needed iTunes on the laptop as well, so I wouldn't mind buying (at a cheap enough price) a transfer App for the iPad (PC files) now that I can use those iTunes prepaid cards (there's no way I will give Apple my credit card details to just charge when ever). Neither do I want to upload to a web site for what I want but to be able to just connect via the Lightning to USB cable to my PC/laptop.

I guess I'm just one of those that won't let go my Windows/PC.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

To correct a few statements
I am very much aware of Log Books and slide rules. Computers for people came in long after I finished and could claim " I is an engineer"

I had a PC at home in 1984 and played with one in Boca Raton (the home of the PC) in 83.

My concerns with Windows stem from the use of shared application library, a shared DLL library and the binary Registry file. Mac being a Unix based system keeps the application files in individual package files so avoiding corruption or overwriting of same named files.
Old 25th June 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Yes if one is worried to a high degree about whether their applications are in a sandboxed environment then any Unix based software is going to be more up their street. It is also the gift and the curse of IOS, protection but lack of granular control.

Windows has changed a lot since the 80s.

Personally Since Windows 8.1 I have had 0 issues with viruses or poorly coded software causing my windows directory to crawl. The applications are sandboxed to a certain extent and when a local app crashes out, it will typically no longer wipe out Explorer. You can also roll back in a few clicks to a fresh Windows install with your apps and files intact. SSD's also negate any discernible change in performance if the folder gets a bit bloated. Saying that i'd never roll out Windows 8.1 to a corporate environment as the front end is such a bloody mess. All of my old clients (Alternative Investment/Hedge Funds) used Windows 7.
Old 25th June 2015

Quote:
Indeed it has. I only wish my iPad was as stable as my current Windows versions (7, 8.0 and 8.1).

However, what I really dislike about current Apple products is that you cannot use them out of the box without spending a heck of a lot of money on special adaptors just to connect to industry standard USB and Ethernet devices. Surely Apple could bundle these connectors with a MacBook or iPad?

(Even the Mac Mini comes without a keyboard and mouse.)

I also dislike the fact that Apple has made it nigh on impossible to expand its products. We know that you cannot add micro SD cards to iPhones or iPads (I believe there is a court case pending on this matter), but the SD card slot on the MacBook is purposely designed so that you cannot fit an SD card for added storage.

The obvious alternative is to use a Micro USB flash device, but there is no USB socket, so you have to pay Apple £400 extra for a bigger SSD that in reality is only worth about £250 in total!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th June 2015

Quote:
Yes if one is worried to a high degree about whether their applications are in a sandboxed environment then any Unix based software is going to be more up their street. It is also the gift and the curse of IOS, protection but lack of granular control.

Personally Since Windows 8.1 I have had 0 issues with viruses or poorly coded software causing my windows directory to crawl. The applications are sandboxed to a certain extent and when a local app crashes out, it will typically no longer wipe out Explorer. You can also roll back in a few clicks to a fresh Windows install with your apps and files intact. SSD's also negate any discernible change in performance if the folder gets a bit bloated. Saying that i'd never roll out Windows 8.1 to a corporate environment as the front end is such a bloody mess. All of my old clients (Alternative Investment/Hedge Funds) used Windows 7.
I'm running Win7 on the HP (with an option to install Win8 with a supplied disk), but I've had a prompt from Microsft to reserve a free update to Win10. I'm going to stay on 7 (at this point & probably not update).
Old 26th June 2015

Quote:

Personally Since Windows 8.1 I have had 0 issues with viruses or poorly coded software causing my windows directory to crawl. The applications are sandboxed to a certain extent and when a local app crashes out, it will typically no longer wipe out Explorer. You can also roll back in a few clicks to a fresh Windows install with your apps and files intact. SSD's also negate any discernible change in performance if the folder gets a bit bloated.
I like Windows 8.0 and 8.1 a lot. Both are 'streamlined like a Porsche' to coin a phrase and are very fast loading.

My only gripe is that Adobe has taken the opportunity to block ACR updates for Photoshop CS5 as of Windows 8.1.

I know it is an old version but up until Windows 8.0 it worked perfectly well on my laptop for processing the odd raw file from my E5 and OMD-EM5.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th June 2015

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Some tine ago I offered my partner's granddaughter a CD with some data. She stated that her Mac laptop didn't have a CD/DVD drive.

As earlier in this thread it was stated that Macs also don't have USB ports, what do Mac owners do if they need to access a CD or DVD - do they have to buy a special (and probably expensive) drive?

Jim
Old 28th June 2015

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

My MacBook Air certainly has a couple of USB ports. And yes, should you desire/need one, you can buy a disc drive unit which plugs in, but I can't honestly say I've found the need for it, and am quite happy not to have had to pay for something I don't need.

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 28th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Some tine ago I offered my partner's granddaughter a CD with some data. She stated that her Mac laptop didn't have a CD/DVD drive.

As earlier in this thread it was stated that Macs also don't have USB ports, what do Mac owners do if they need to access a CD or DVD - do they have to buy a special (and probably expensive) drive?

Jim
Yup!

You can buy a Thunderbolt to USB socket from the Apple store. I think they cost 25.00. I believe the Ethernet adaptor costs 45.00.

The older MacBooks did have USB sockets, but the current models don't have any - just Thunderbolt.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th July 2015

Liked 685 Times in 295 Posts

When I moved from Windows to Mac, Windows XP was still the dominant OS, and Microsoft were just getting over the Vista debacle. And Apple had Aperture, which I fell in love with having played with it. Fast forward a good few years, and:

- Under the hood, Windows 8.1 is by far the best and most stable Windows yet.
- And Windows 10 is going to add back some of the familiarity that old Windows users were missing.
- And Apple has subjected Aperture to a murder most foul!

I still think OSX, with its UNIX underpinnings is a better OS, but I don't think the reasons for moving are quite a clear cut.

I recently bought a new Surface 3, for travel. I like it. However, if I find it slows down after a year of use*, I'll perhaps not like it as much.

* My MacBook Air is three year old and, since the Mavericks upgrade, it boots up faster and performs better than it did on the day I bought it, and I've never had to think about starting from scratch with it.
Old 7th July 2015

The Mac OS is undoubtedly very good, and stable, but much of that stability is gained at the cost of compatibility. The fact is that Apple only has a comparatively small number of hardware devices and software apps to support, so stability is almost guaranteed.

However, I have always likened the Mac system to a high speed train journey. It is fast, comfortable, stable and extremely safe, but the nearest railway station is twenty miles from where you want to be, so you still need a car (or Windows in this case) to finish the journey!

I also dislike the attempts of computer manufacturers to control what I do and buy. Steve Jobs was a known control freak, and that remains clearly visible in his company's product strategy to this day.

Apple's marketing strategy is also very clever, especially their policy of recruiting impressionable teenagers and university students as acolytes by offering them very generous discounts; but it does rather remind me of the king's new suit of clothes!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing