Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 12th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Comments please, a difficult exposure to get right

Hi All

May I have your comments on this image please? I took a few test shots from this location, and investigated them on the E-3 histogram etc, and spotted that some areas were a tad dark, and others were too bright. So, I tried a few alternate settings and metering to see if I could get a decent exposure on it.

As you can see, the image has a wide range of shadows & highlights, so I used an ND4 Graduated filter AND a polarising filter too in an attempt to get the best metered result!

Not sure if I have done so, and hence am asking for your comments please. Ta.

I have made a very slight crop to the original image, maybe a hundred or so pixels that's all - as on the very left of the original image were metal railings and a barrier hiding a construction site. I increased the 'clarity' slider a little, but nothing else was amended.

Thoughts...?

Old 12th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Comments please, a difficult exposure to get right

I wonder if it needs a bit more contrast? I've seen some brilliant work by some other photographers who can take an image like this and through intensive post processing add some amazing dyanmic effect. Such techniques can involve darkening the corners of the frame, adding noise and increasing contrast, and also careful dodging an burning.

By the way, the bridge in the distance, are the towers actually vertical, neither look vertical in the picture

I do like the composition, though - it's a tough image to develop!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 12th November 2008
Chillimonster

Hi John

I've just had a play with the limited sized Jpeg above in lightroom (Hope you dont mind ), and found that there is a lot of scope for giving the image a little more 'punch' with around +14 Saturation, +17 Recovery +2 Fill Light and aounf 2/3 stop +ve exposure (for my taste anyway)

Looking at the histogram its a well exposed image with little data lost due to lowlights and highlights so well done on the ND4 and CPL for keeping it all in check.

Chris
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

I like the composition and light but would definitely want to work this file a lot more.

Probably most of all I struggle with the sdark shadow on both the near and far banks. At the very least I would want to bring up the posts a fair bit.