Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > E-group equipment hire

E-group equipment hire This board is dedicated to questions about our Olympus gear hire service and feedback from customers.

Old 10th January 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
300 hire?? EOS converter

hi all, and I wish you all a healthy and happy new year. I wish to try the 300 f2.8 or similar for birding. Possibly with a converter. I would need it for 14 days (holiday) I have the new OMD1 m/43. What would be the cost please. Having just dipped my toes in the oly camp. I believe I would need a converter? Does this this converter give me full A/F. Or another way round the problem if the hire is to expensive is get an adaptor for my EOS lenses. is there an adaptor that would give me A/F please help
Kind regards mike
Ps there little difference in the weight between the oly and my soggy 500f4.5
Old 10th January 2015

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts
Re: 300 hire?? EOS converter

Hello, the Oly 300mm F2.8 works just fine with both 1.4 & 2x converters, though hand holding can be a bit tricky with the latter.
Don't forget that compared to your Canon the Oly has a smaller sensor, which is actually quite helpful for wildlife at a distance. You would effectively be hiring a 600mm F2.8 in full frame equivalence.
Whilst I do have an E-M1, I've never really played about with that combination, normally using my E-5 with the big lens and the E-M1 with the 100-300mm Panasonic. I'm kind of waiting for the 300mm F4 m4/3s to be out for a year or two, in the hope of picking up a used one at some time in the future.
I understand that others have used your proposed combination with some success.
As far as I'm aware, due to the difference between both Data and Electrical protocols, there aren't any adaptors available for Canon to m4/3s.
The prices are available from the Olympus Hire link at the top of this very forum.
see HERE
I hope you have a generous hand luggage allowance if you're flying anywhere, as I certainly wouldn't want it in the hold.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (10th January 2015)
Old 10th January 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Hello, the Oly 300mm F2.8 works just fine with both 1.4 & 2x converters, though hand holding can be a bit tricky with the latter.
Don't forget that compared to your Canon the Oly has a smaller sensor, which is actually quite helpful for wildlife at a distance. You would effectively be hiring a 600mm F2.8 in full frame equivalence.
Whilst I do have an E-M1, I've never really played about with that combination, normally using my E-5 with the big lens and the E-M1 with the 100-300mm Panasonic. I'm kind of waiting for the 300mm F4 m4/3s to be out for a year or two, in the hope of picking up a used one at some time in the future.
I understand that others have used your proposed combination with some success.
As far as I'm aware, due to the difference between both Data and Electrical protocols, there aren't any adaptors available for Canon to m4/3s.
The prices are available from the Olympus Hire link at the top of this very forum.
see HERE
I hope you have a generous hand luggage allowance if you're flying anywhere, as I certainly wouldn't want it in the hold.
hi bill, Thankyou for your reply, I have taken my kit on holiday before, the only bit of kit that goes in the hold in my suitcase is my tripod hand and all chargers etc. hand held luggage is usually my 7D and 650d and my 150-500 siggy and iPad. Smaller lenses can go into my coat. I don't know what planet I am on sometimes I have looked up the specifications of the oly 300 F2.8 and did not realise that it's that heavy, so as you suggested I will wait in anticipation of the 300f4 which I already have in EOS, which brings me nicely on to adaptors I would have thought that electrical protocols could be got around, but maybe there's not enough demand for these items. It seems rather expensive to hire this lens?
please could you tell me of your 100-300 lens are they any good?
Kind regards mike
Old 10th January 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

I believe that David Morrison uses a Canon 400mm on his E-M1 with an adapter, without AF of course, just manual focus.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th January 2015

Liked 167 Times in 111 Posts

It's probably not that expensive to hire really, when you consider that they are well on the way to six grand to buy new in the UK http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-300mm-f2-8-zuiko-ed-digital-lens/p1002691?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-camera-lenses-_-four-thirds-fit-_-olympus-300mm-f2-8-zuiko-digital-ed-four-thirds-lens_1002691&utm_source=googlebase-extension

The 100-300mm does seem to work well enough, but isn't particularly bright at the long end. The 75-300mm even slightly smaller F stop as well.
The Panasonic one is sometimes claimed to be slightly better quality, at the expense of size and weight, but I don't have the other to compare it to. There are a few comparisons around on the net.

To be honest, if you are considering waiting for the 300mm F4 Oly, you could always pick up a used m4/3 Oly75/Panasonic100-300mm zoom and have a play. Provided you buy used, and pick the lens carefully, you should be able to sell on for more or less the same price; cheaper than hiring (sorry Ian).

It might be worth researching the 50-200mm 4/3s with converter and adaptor, as I understand some folks have had success with that combination. With this option, you would also retain the weather sealing, which may be important depending on your holiday destination.

I've used the 50-200mm with both 1.4 & 2x converters with reasonable success when we went to Sri Lanka, albeit on the E-3 not the E-M1, so I'd expect the IQ to be higher with the newer camera

Thse was taken from a rocking Landrover;
Green or Little Bee-Eater - Merops orientalis by peak4, on Flickr

Malabar Pied Hornbills - Anthracoceros coronatus by peak4, on Flickr

Both were pretty much bulk processed with little individual diddling around, so I'm sure the results could be improved with better processing.
They were taken @ 400mm; the 1.4 converter does give slightly better results.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 11th January 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I believe that David Morrison uses a Canon 400mm on his E-M1 with an adapter, without AF of course, just manual focus.
Yes, I regularly use the EF 400mm L f5.6 and 1.4X TC with my E-M1 and provided the relevant focal length is manually set with IBIS then magnified MF produces excellent results. The TC reduces contrast slightly but doesn't otherwise affect IQ. The big advantage compared with using on a Canon crop or FF camera is the additional magnification offered by 4/3 format. It is surprising that a lens designed in 1993 is still capable of delivering such excellent results. I use a plain adapter but I have tried one with a built in diaphragm, however this causes vignetting. If you are using the E-M1 you may find that the sensor will out-resolve the Sima 150-500 and equal results may be achieved with the 75-300mm and extra cropping.

David
Zuiko (11th January 2015)