Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: What'so happened to Kerso?

I was not necessarily advocating that we all buy UK stock. It is all about maximising VFM and I am the same as everyone else when it comes to this. In fact my last two lens purchases were from HDEW. I did put a after my statement.....
As has been said, if prices were equalised across the market there would be no need to buy non UK sourced stock.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (23rd October 2014)
Old 23rd October 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
You're spot on with your comments there Late Starter.
Of course we all know that most multi-national companies operate in this way so Olympus are not the only guilty party.
I would add that in all likelihood their operating margin differs as well from country to country. If a business feels the market will stand a higher price they will take advantage of it, which is why we are where we are.

Edit: I should add I'm not blaiming Olympus for the situation, it is what it is.
To equalise it all competing companies would have change and adopt the same stratergy.
No one company would take the step of equalising pricing on their own..
It's not just cameras but cars, white goods, electronics and many other types of products. By coincidence the issue has been highlighted in the general media this week.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Greytop (23rd October 2014)
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's not just cameras but cars, white goods, electronics and many other types of products. By coincidence the issue has been highlighted in the general media this week.
Quite right John, pretty much everything has pricing disparity between markets. The problem is we happen to be in the wrong market

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Zuiko (23rd October 2014)
Old 23rd October 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Quite right John, pretty much everything has pricing disparity between markets. The problem is we happen to be in the wrong market
The thing is, we are supposed to be part of the huge European market....

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 543 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
The thing is, we are supposed to be part of the huge European market....
Yes, we are! See recent thread about buying the new 40-150mm f2.8 lens from Germany at a cheaper price ...

Andy
Old 23rd October 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
Yes, we are! See recent thread about buying the new 40-150mm f2.8 lens from Germany at a cheaper price ...

Andy
That's the whole point! If we really are part of that market we should be paying the same here as in Germany!

Old 23rd October 2014

Liked 543 Times in 187 Posts

It would be nice to have the lower price in the UK, but buying from Germany is not grey market, VAT is paid, and you should get a European warranty. Just like prices can vary in the UK, they can vary across Europe and if you are going to order online it doesn't make much difference where you order from.

Andy
Old 23rd October 2014

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

Always find it strange that new bodies and lenses are priced to the penny amongst shops, with occasional offer or their reputation being the only means we have on making the decision were to buy. Strange that the new 40-150 is not bringing offers to the market all prices seem the same with not even a sole bit of kit being offered. The OMD EM1 had free batteries and camera bags to tempt us to use vendors.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th October 2014

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts

News about Kerso - this is from his website

http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/

Seems there has been some very sad family events.
I have used Ian over the years and never had any problems.

Ooops - just read through the whole thread and it seems chrism's post (post 9) said the same thing but way before me. Ah well, late to the party again..
Old 30th October 2014

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
I too have bought grey imports; from Kerso and others and would still consider doing so. Where though has it ever been suggested that Olympus are going to ban freedom of choice or users of grey imports. There was a justifiable exception raised to a person promoting their business on this site. Try walking into any business premises, setting up your own stall and begin selling cut price products or services. You'd soon be out on your ear. Any self respecting business is going to protect it's interests.

***Steve***
After my post I was reminded "that Olympus sponsor this site" - which is a fair point but which could be construed as a warning shot across my bow.

There is a "Dealers Den" on this site so forgive me for not understanding why there was a "justifiable exception" to a person promoting their business on this site. I don't know if the Dealers from the Den have to make a financial contribution to the site - if they do then so should Kerso if he wishes to promote his business here. Let's just treat everyone equally and fairly.

We are supposed to live in a free market which encourages cross border trading.

The newly aligned and clarified Olympus Warranty policy just makes that a little harder to achieve.

As far as I am aware, the grey market is not illegal and Kerso and others are not doing anything wrong in operating in this section of the market.

The Grey Marketeers appear to be trying to offer all the benefits of the free market / cross border principles whereas Olympus and UK suppliers are trying to restrict the market and ring the prices UK customers have to pay - to the exact penny between suppliers.

I am grateful that this site exists and for the Olympus sponsorship of it but that does not mean they own me or my thoughts on the free market.

Olympus would not sponsor this site if they did not believe there was something in it for them.

Enthusiastic customers, praising products are worth their weight in gold and Olympus know that.

To have all that "positivity" concentrated in one website is a valuable sales and marketing asset to Olympus which is why I am disappointed with them over their new Warranty policy.

These views are entirely my own and no cameras were harmed or sold during the writing of this post.
Old 30th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I can't answer all your points 'cos I don't know the answers but a) Kerso was not an "exception". As far as I know no-one has been asked to stop posting, but Olympus like all other companies frown on people by-passing their own distributors, people who Olympus pay and support to sell their products, and b) no-one pays to be in Dealers Den. Indeed, dealers only appear here by dint of members posting.

I personally used Kerso for many years, both for Canon kit in the olden days, then Panasonic and Olympus, so have no axe to grind.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 30th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
..... but Olympus like all other companies frown on people by-passing their own distributors, people who Olympus pay and support to sell their products, and b) no-one pays to be in Dealers Den. Indeed, dealers only appear here by dint of members posting.

I personally used Kerso for many years, both for Canon kit in the olden days, then Panasonic and Olympus, so have no axe to grind.
Hi Stephen, my post is not intended to inflame the situation but to help me understand what is going on here.

What I am not clear on is why Olympus would be concerned at the Grey import market. Cameras are already being sent from the UK to Portugal for warranty repairs.

There is supposed to be international free trade across borders as has been highlighted many times by consumer watchdogs like Which? and the BBC's programme "Rip Off Britain".

I work in the building industry and the days of building companies operating cartels and "price fixing" so that customers are effectively corralled into paying a fixed price with no effective competition or competitive pricing have long since been outlawed.

Why would Olympus frown upon the "Grey Marketeers" if no laws are being broken and free trade between countries is welcomed and encouraged by all Governments?

Olympus may wish to support and give priority to their UK dealers and that is admirable but the grey market legally exists and is a viable economic option to many customers.
Old 30th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I don't know the true answer to this, but remember that Ian Kerr imports all he sells from the USA, not Europe.

I'm not trying to excuse it, or stop Britain from becoming "Rip-Off Britain", just explain what has happened in this particular instance. If you want official answers, go straight to the marketing departments of Olympus, Nikon, Canon et al, or to the British Government.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 30th October 2014
Administrator

The simple answer to why Olympus UK don't like grey imports being sold in Britain is because they don't get credit for any of those sales and they have their own targets to meet. Why would they give any encouragement to dealers who are bypassing them and making it more difficult to meet their own performance expectations? It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas!

That said, Olympus have never said that members cannot mention or discuss grey importers on this site, but I think they might be justified at drawing the line when such a dealer runs a promotional competition on the forum!

It's OK to expect free speech on a forum such as this, but it's a two-way street and the sponsor who finances the site must be expected to have some input too.

Old 30th October 2014

Selling Grey imports is not illegal.

Price fixing, which disadvantages the consumer and rigs the market so that all dealers are selling at the same price is.

If the UK prices were lowered to match those in other countries the grey import market would cease to exist and UK sales would increase.

We are supposed to have a free market economy in the UK with cross border and international trade openly encouraged.

Free speech and freedom of choice should be encouraged and Olympus are to be thanked for permitting it on their site.