Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 7th November 2008

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts
Re: E-1 dillema

Once again, I would say the E1 is a brilliant camera. I use mine professionally, and after four years I have no intention of changing it yet. In fact I rely on it so much I bought one of the very last E1s from Park Cameras as a spare.

In terms of quality, don't worry too much about the 5 MP resolution. I have printed to A3 size many times with excellent results. If you seriously need to go bigger than that at high quality then you would be better advised to use medium format film.

On the subject of firmware, don't forget that the firmware in E System flashguns and lenses is also upgraded from time to time.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I would say GO FOR IT - My only digital camera is an E-1 with a couple of lenses and the 5mp thing has never bothered me. I rarely print images, but the tests I did to A3 size were impressive. I view my results on a 22inch monitor and they look grand.

We have a couple of 10mp cameras in the house (my Wife and Son's) - they produce superb images too. However, I still have no interest in purchasing a second body with higher megapixels. As far as the E-1 is concerned, there is more to it than simply pixels.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
As DekHog says, you only really need Viewer for firmware updates. Using a high-speed card reader will download your images much faster than thru the camera. To check your firmware version, switch the camera on, open the card door (door open warning appears on LCD), press the "Image playback" and "OK" buttons together (see www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html )

The latest body firmware version, I believe, is 1.5 (see http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...a/download/sof... )

I would have thought further updates to the E1 are unlikely, but who knows...

A Flickr contact had a similar problem with a software-less E1. I did eventually find this link: http://fourthirdsphoto.com/uploads/viewer1.0win.zip but I don't know if it's OK - looks as though it is from the responses on the 4/3 Photo forum page I found it on ( http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=24574 ), but AYOR, I fear.

Incidentally, when you have a copy of Viewer, depending on your OS you may need to also install a driver http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...a/download/sof...

I think the E1 is a fantastic camera. If it had IS and live view (and a bigger LCD) I probably wouldn't use anything else...
Thanks for that. Version is 1.4. Nothing for lens...[?] thanks for the links.
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Photoshop and windows will recognise the files from you card no problem. The only reason you'd need the Olympus software is to perhaps update the firmare on your E-1 - I think the latest firmware version is 1.5.

If you want Olympus Viewer, I have it on my HDD and can email it to you through sendthisfile.com if you wish?

Good choice of camera!!

P.S Picasa 3 is fab for viewing raw files now - just remember and take the option to integrate the Picasa viewer when installing.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm expecting a CD...so will hopefully be fully equipped soon.
Old 7th November 2008

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

ISTR the E1 was described by AP as "a formidable picture making machine" when it was tested back in 1993, and was also awarded a score of 91%.

If it was that good then, it will be just as good now. Added to which, more recent RAW processing software will produce even better results than the very limited software we had back in 1993/94.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing