Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th November 2013

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts
Re: E-M1 mystery noise (and battery life) issue

I have my EVF to LCD eye-switch off, as is the post shot review and just about everything else I don't need to get the shot

The life of these batteries does improve with use but I have rarely if ever seen less than 300 shots / charge and that's leaving the camera switched on but with a power down after 30 sec whenever I'm out and about shooting on the hoof
Old 19th November 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

If EVF sensor is on then the LCD stays active even with LV off
Yes with the sensor off the EVF is always on but LCD is not getting power until LV is pressed...then the EVF goes off...so only powering one display
Old 20th November 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am noticing the same erratic noise.

It happens when pressing half way the shooting botton and releasing it before the camera has got focus lock. If the camera got focus lock, the noise will not be there when the IS stops. If the focus did not lock, there will be a electronic noise when the IS stops working.

I am also noticing in the 12-40mm f2.8 a very low electronic noise when moving the zoom ring, more notorious in the 12-30mm range. This one can be easilu noticed as it is not there when moving the zoom with the camera off.

Is more people noticing same topic?
Old 20th November 2013

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I might have solved the problem with the camere waking up from sleep. In the last menu under Wi-Fi Settings change Wi-Fi Connect Settings from the default Select (Wi-Fi connection easch time) to Off. I'll have to check it further during the coming week end. I'm sure (or rather hope...) this will save battery life.

This may sound strange but try it for yourself. Try both settings and place the E-M1 on the table lens down. When it goes to sleep move it but make sure not to activate the EVF sensor.

In Select configuration the E-M1 wakes up right away, but not in Off configuration.

niels
Olympus OM-D E-M1, HLD-7, OM-D E-M5, HLD-6, E-3, HLD-4, E-400, ZD25/2.8, ZDED50/2.0, ZD11-22/2.8-3.5, ZD14-54/2.8-3.5, ZDED50-200/2.8-3.5, EC14, EX25, 2 x FL-50R, FL-36, Sigma 30/1.4, MMF-3, mZD12-50/3.5-6.3, mZD12/2.0, mZD45/1.8, mZD60/2.8MACRO, mZD75/1.8, mZD12-40/2.8PRO, mZD75-300/4.8-6.7II, Panasonic 1.7/20ASPH, Leica DG Summilux 1.4/25ASPH - Olympus OM-1 (35&100/2.8)
The Following User Says Thank You to nad For This Useful Post:
David Morison (21st November 2013)
Old 21st November 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Interesting observation. I normally keep wifi off and only use it to upload images through my phone or tablet to add to a tweet or to Dropbox so I probably wouldn't have noticed this behaviour.

Thanks

David
Old 21st November 2013

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
Is it the same as this one that's been recorded by someone else (whose trying to understand what it is)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2mtx7h02i...ch%20Kopie.mp3
YES this sounds very similar!! I am in dialogue with Olympus to try and further diagnose. Will report back.
Old 25th November 2013

Still no news back from Olympus - I think the issue has them foxed!
Old 6th December 2013

An update on this:

The response finally from Olympus (via Service Plus hotline) was (verbatim) as follows:

"I have checked this phenomenon with OIMC colleagues in Tokyo last week,
This is noise from 12-40 lens which can not be avoided. As 12-40mm lens uses linear motor for focusing mechanism, it needs to be working time by time to keep its position and to be able to focus fast & accurate. Our R&D dept has checked it and confirmed this is not a defect."

In living with this symptom I had become increasingly convinced that the noise was coming from the 12-40mm lens not the EM-1 and this confirms that.

However, they have also admitted to me that not all the lenses do this. And this noise is intermittent. Both of which facts are slightly at odds with the explanation put forward. So whilst this symptom is benign/"cosmetic" and something I will come to live with, I do think it took Olympus a little by surprise and is probably something that they will quietly address in future production.
Old 6th December 2013

PS: Battery life much improved though: seems that the theory of a new battery needing a few charge cycles to reach optimal performance has some merit.
Old 6th December 2013

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, Reference message 34 above. I have WiFi set to "private" and likewise camera does not wake from sleep.
Old 15th June 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just got a new EM1 yesterday, so still finding my way around the camera. I too have noticed a strange noise coming from the camera, and googling brought me here.

One noise is clearly the IS mechanism. I have no issues with that, and fully expected to hear it. It's common for IS gyros to make this normal whirring noise. It comes on when you half press the shutter, as you'd expect. You don't hear it if IS is disabled, as you would expect.

The OTHER noise is the strange one. As soon as I turn the camera on, it starts, and it runs constantly until I turn the camera off. Its the same sort of whirring noise as the IS, but quieter. I can hear it clearly with me ear to the camera, and in a quiet room I can hear it with the camera on a desk.

If I switch IS off, and switch focusing to manual... the noise is still there, constantly. Some motor or gyro or something runs all the time whilst the camera is powered on. Even in picture playback mode, this noise is still there.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I am stumped, I have to say.
Old 15th June 2014

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts

that is the way it is with the EM/5/1, I believe what you hearing is the system that keeps the sensor set in the correct place (its electro-magnetically suspended as I understand it) and the louder IS action noise is what you get when its moving the sensor from its stable resting position to compensate for movement.

(the noise is there even if you disable IS by the way)

I must admit I was so used to the background noise I had forgotten about it and it was only when I made a conscious effort and held it to my ear when switching on and off that it became apparent

Welcome to the site by the way, there are a lot of lovely people here
Old 16th June 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, Brian. And thanks for the warm welcome!

The only other "anomaly" I have noticed is that the 12-40 lens is a bit wobbly at the front. More so when extended, but even at 12mm the front is slightly loose. I don't know whether this will be an issue optically, but given the rave reviews and people everywhere saying the lens is mechanically superb, it is somewhat surprising. I was expecting everything to be nice and smooth and tight, with no loose wobbly stuff.

Do you know if this is normal too?

(Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but it didn't seem starting a whole new thread over.)
Old 17th June 2014

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

My 12-40 makes an audiable whirr type noise whilst the camera is on (As reported previously in this topic). Battery life seems about right, although honestly i never shoot it enough to empty a battery. I always have the back screen turned off with no auto review. But it's still lit, just not displaying.

A well built camera, but my loudest from an operational standby perspective.
Old 17th June 2014

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

my 12-40 has never struck me as being wobbly at the front. it seems very dampened and sturdy. one of the best mid zooms I've played with. You might want to shove it under the nose of an Olympus rep to see if its within tolerances.

Good luck!
The Following User Liked This Post:
pault (17th June 2014)