Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 16th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Sharpness

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Thanks Andy - some useful advice there. I might be getting CS3 so will certainly try your solution.
Just a quick word of advice - if you are running on a Mac with the new OS Leopard, then you may want to hang back as I have read in several places that people are having trouble running CS3 on the new version of Leopard.

Old 16th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Thanks for the warning but Windows Vista pour moi
Old 17th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Here's a little experiment I did quickly last night.

This is a shot of my chess set - using my E-1 - 35mm macro - tripod - remote - available electric overhead light.

What do you think of the sharpness factor? Ignore WB, exposure etc as I didn't bother about anything but trying to get the sharpest image I could in bad light conditions
Old 17th December 2007
Scapula Memory

Just looked at your chess picture and I assume you focussed on the central piece. OK I am no expert but to me it looks slightly soft but this is hard to tell because of unfamiliarity with the subject. I could not gain any exif info, and you do not say if you did any PP? The bad light does you no favours so maybe this test was not under the best conditions?

I think for sharpness values maybe try a test portrait on a person. This way you can concentrate on critical focus on the subjects eyes, and maybe from this it may help determine what level of sharp you are getting from current settings.

I have posted a pic ( cropped ) of my 7 month old daughter from yesterday. The aim was to get in focus and sharpness around the eyes. This is jpeg with in cam setting of +1 sharp and +1 contrast. CS3 sat level and CW metered. FL36 flash. I did slight PP in Studio but did not apply sharpening. Irfanview I think does apply some sharp for the resize but you could not tell the difference between this and the original image. You should be able to produce similar image details and sharpness.

Do persevere, can you try any other lenses? Maybe get a 14-42 or 14-45 and do some tests in more favourable conditions? Those lenses are pretty cheap at the moment and might help you nail this one down. I recall an improvement when you took some more pics with the 40-150 on a tripod a week or so ago, so probably unlikely there is an issue with your camera.

Keep at it, you will get there and find the E1 very rewarding.

regards

John

Old 17th December 2007
E-P1 fan

I mistakenly thought that the bad light conditions and the macro would be a good test. Watch this space for better tests using Richards test chart