Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 22nd March 2013
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, from the (not so sunny) Isle of Wight

Just spent a mind boggling week researching the specs of affordable (older !!) DSLR's. Made my mind up (with some very high recommendations from DP Review) and was lucky enough to grab an Olympus E520 on thieves-bay. Day later I added a 'fast' 14-54.

Combine that with my existing Minolta A2 and I'm a happy bunny.....

Further research got me to this site, so we're stuck with each other. Perhaps one of you would advise what should be the next lens ????

Off to the 'wanted' section now in search of a Battery Grip.

Ta, DAVE
Old 22nd March 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Hi, from the (not so sunny) Isle of Wight

A warm welcome to the group Dave.

The E-520 is a fine camera and you should get some excellent results from it.
One of the great strengths of Olympus is the quality of all their lenses. Even the "kit" lenses are superior to most other brands. Sigma made some pretty reasonable 4/3 lenses too. If you give us an indication of your priorities for subject matter I'm sure plenty of members will be along with recommendations.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 22nd March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts

Hi Dave and welcome.

Next lens really depends upon what you want to photograph and your budget. If you want a telephoto zoom there is a choice of 50-200mmm, 70-300mm or 40-150mm. Cheapest of these would be the 40-150mm and the Mk1 is particularly noted for astonishing quality for the price. If you want to go wider the 9-18mm is an excellent choice and macro is well served by the 50mm f2 or Sigma 105mm f2.8. In addition there is a vast array of manual focus lenses from the pre-digital era which can be used with readily available adapters. Let us know a bit more about what you want to photograph and your available budget, then we can be more specific with recommendations.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd March 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

I also recommend the MK1 40-150mm f3.5. a super walk round lens and great quality.
Old 23rd March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A third voice in the choir for the original f/3.5 40-150mm (another significant advantage that it has is a metal lensmount, rather than the plastic of the later versions . . .)

I almost hate to admit this - owning both lenses as I do - but on a lot of images I most likely couldn't say with confidence whether I shot them with the 40-150 or the 50-200SWD. It just lacks the additional 50mm of reach, is all.

John

Website @

http://trihelic.net/