Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 10th January 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Jessops to go into administration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
... The big concern now is the lack of reliable cameras shops with a good product range, reasonably knowledgeable staff and the opportunity to try a good hands on test - sight unseen may give good prices but lots of potential handling issues.
Great news for our Ian and the 4M here - because how else will sales be generated ? and post purchase support ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Jessops used to mail me all the Kodachrome I used in the 70s, always a big order for the three week trip to some interesting place.
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I've always felt sorry for their staff because the training they've undergone must have been totally inadequate - whenever I've visited a shop they always appear out of their depth and embarrassed at their own lack of knowledge, not only of any particular product but the market as a whole.

It must be good for somebody, perhaps my favourite shop - Harrison Cameras of Sheffield, at present there are 3 Jessops shops within 12 miles of them, although to be honest I'd doubt that this meant a lot of real competition. Perhaps good for LCE as well.

David
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts

Well I think it's been on the cards for a while really....our local Jessops as many have said already on here just stocked what they wanted to sell, no Olympus when I wanted to talk lenses etc...the main independant camera shop closed many years ago, so we don't have a local store now where you can 'touchy feeley" the kit you are considering.

I like to buy online like everyone else, BUT i still like to go and see and touch what I am proposing to buy....never again will I buy a computer online, the last time i did the service was appalling when something went wrong...so when I bought my new laptop recently it was a local purchase....the High street will survive but not perhaps as we know it now....

Peter
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

I think the Finchley Road shop opened in the early 80's. I was living just of Finchley Road at the time, but at the Finchley end. Despite living locally I hardly ever went there. A few years later the New Oxford Street branch opened with a pro dept downstairs.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Ha, something else we have in common. I used to live in Finchley not far from the North Circular at a place called Glanfield's corner.
Went back this time two years ago and the garage my father and I built in the early sixties is still standing.
The swimming pool has gone can't remember if my old school Finchley Grammar School for boys was still there.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 66 Times in 22 Posts

I guess no one is really surprised at the news – it's been on the cards for a long time. I've had friends ask me about cameras and where to buy, I've never recommended Jessops. The impression I always got was that they'd try and sell you what they wanted to sell you, regardless of what you wanted or needed. Maybe that's why there are thousands of people going round with low end Canon SLRs permanently stuck on auto (you can spot them - they're the one's who are always using the onboard flash, even in the most ridiculous situations...).

My work wanted to buy a camera for something last week and asked me for recommendations – I went to straight to Wex and pulled up a few options and they were cheaper there than anywhere else I looked. Why go to Jessops, when it all came next day delivery?

I'm lucky being in Edinburgh that we still have at least one independent (Camerabase in Morningside) as well as a Calumet (though I've only ever bought film from them), but the last few times I've bought a lens I've done so from Ffordes, their service is great and I'd trust their advice – how many retailers would you say that about?

Incidentally, on the subject of hardware stores, we used to have one called Grays in the centre of Edinburgh. It had been there since the late 19th century but closed a year or two ago – it was still family-run I think, but no one was interested in taking it on when the owners retired. Shame, but I guess that's the way of the world now.

Mike
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

Interesting interviews by public outside Jessops on the news yesterday. Most seemed to say that they'd never think of going in, because they had a nice camera phone already!

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for your offer Peteboo,I cannot PM you as I have not enough posts.I"ve decided to go for a brand new om-de-m5,thanks again.

Alex.
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Weirder and weirder, I lived on the south side of the North Circular in Golders Green. Actually it was between Golders Green and the North Circular, I want to say Temple Fortune but it 30 years ago so it's all a little hazy.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.