Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts
Re: Jessops to go into administration?

On a more parochial level Walden Travel, who operated the school bus on which my daughter travels, went out of business at the end of December. Another bus company have taken over the route, but it leaves me with 114 of pre-purchased tickets which are now useless.

I've learnt my lesson, in future all advance purchases for tickets, gift vouchers, etc will be paid by credit card to gain some protection. I anticipate that many more companies will fold as the policy of closing down Britain continues......

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I visited both Jessops shops in Glasgow this morning,came home mid afternoon to the news they were in administration.I was in to get a look, "feel", handle the
om-de-m5 with a view to buy.They had only one on display,none in stock,and little knowledge of the camera,all nikon ,canon.The price for it in Jessops is as good as most UK dealers,if they had it in stock they had a sale,only options was deposit with 2-3 day delivery to shop, or payment upfront with home delivery I declined both, as after travelling in to Glasgow I wanted to go home with the camera.Close call ?.Still feel for the staff as they were most likely the last to find out they had no job.

Alex.
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts

[quote=Simon Bee;208052]Not me if I can bloody well help it !

My family have been retailing in Bridgend County since 1872 and I have been running my "Traditional, good old fashioned Ironmonger's ( hardware store to our US / Canadian friends ) since 1995 . We offer "proper" service, sound advice, quality products most of which are cheaper than the likes of B&Q ( Home Depot ) and a huge and diverse range, all with 'family business values' ../quote]

Good for you, Simon.

We have a fantastic quirky hardware store in Morpeth, John Smailes & Son which for years was run by aged spinster Smailes sisters. They would have lost their inheritance if they'd married. Young Miss Smailes was in her 80's when I arrived in Morpeth.

They have EVERYTHING on their 3 floors, line dancing boots, furniture, china, muslin, fishing tackle, wellies, grapefruit spoons, onion setts, whitworth nuts & bolts, lilo repair kits, large plastic gorillas, persian rugs, bottles of "Barmans Friend", Vim, the things that go on the back of the bit on the bottom of the thingy and all tools known to man. After a flood in the late 60's they were checking their stock and found a box of spats. I suspect they'd be able to knap you a flint scraper.

These shops are the opposite of Jessops and should have listed business status. I love them. And, most importantly, use them.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh1960 View Post
Channel 5 news at 6.30 said they will not be honouring any vouchers or taking any returns.

Yep that's a "PLC" for you ( Public Limited Company ) , like I said "small is beautiful !" SUPPORT WHAT INDEPENDENTS REMAIN ! Using a small family independent will nearly always be a better all round experiance .... come on Britain ... WAKE UP ! .... before it's too late.

Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
gregles (9th January 2013), Zuiko (9th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

[quote=jdal;208073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
...We have a fantastic quirky hardware store in Morpeth, John Smailes & Son ...
I MUST go in it!
It's not the little place with the woodstore in the back then.
Old 9th January 2013

[quote=jdal;208073]
Quote:
Not me if I can bloody well help it !

My family have been retailing in Bridgend County since 1872 and I have been running my "Traditional, good old fashioned Ironmonger's ( hardware store to our US / Canadian friends ) since 1995 . We offer "proper" service, sound advice, quality products most of which are cheaper than the likes of B&Q ( Home Depot ) and a huge and diverse range, all with 'family business values' ../quote]

Good for you, Simon.

We have a fantastic quirky hardware store in Morpeth, John Smailes & Son which for years was run by aged spinster Smailes sisters. They would have lost their inheritance if they'd married. Young Miss Smailes was in her 80's when I arrived in Morpeth.

They have EVERYTHING on their 3 floors, line dancing boots, furniture, china, muslin, fishing tackle, wellies, grapefruit spoons, onion setts, whitworth nuts & bolts, lilo repair kits, large plastic gorillas, persian rugs, bottles of "Barmans Friend", Vim, the things that go on the back of the bit on the bottom of the thingy and all tools known to man. After a flood in the late 60's they were checking their stock and found a box of spats. I suspect they'd be able to knap you a flint scraper.

These shops are the opposite of Jessops and should have listed business status. I love them. And, most importantly, use them.
Thank you John,

It sounds as though you have a great Ironmonger/Hardware store near you too

I may 'only' be in my late 40's but I remember when our village had two greengrocers, two butchers, a bakery, a sweet ( candy ) shop,a newsagent, a shoe shop, and a sports shop. All are gone now .... 'killed off' by the big supermarkets that are within a five mile radius ? No ( although they didn't help ), killed off by the locals who didn't support them

If 1/3rd of the village population supported those small stores they would still be trading today. And who are usually the first to complain when the small store has closed ? Yep ... the villagers who NEVER used the store ..... "Oh have you heard, the bakery has closed, that's such a shame" .... to me yes but to you .....really ? Then why did you never buy a loaf of bread there ? ....." U'mmm , well I thought they would be too expensive, I guess I will have to jump in my car and drive a few miles to the supermarket to buy a loaf of bread now. You know it looks quite shabby with all these empty shops, what this village needs is a shoe shop, maybe a Deli, or a butchers." .........HELLO ! It had them and maybe if you had supported them they would still be here now

OK, rant over, and John regarding your last paragraph ..... spot on, "Use them of lose them !" it is as simple as that.

Regards Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Andrew Riddell (9th January 2013), The Technician (10th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

....Oh rant not quite over ! ......... I couldn't give a rats a**e about Jessops because in the few times I "looked" ( never bought, just passing time during a city shopping trip ) in their store I found them expensive, product range in stock not wide enough and the staff although polite not that knowledgeable which was probably down to the type of training they had received.

I DO however "feel very sorry" for that same staff as they are always the last to know and often 'crapped on' from a great height.

I employ a couple of staff and consider them as "part of the family" , without them it would be a hell of a lot harder for me to run my business. But sadly to a "PLC" the staff are just a number and like 'my' feelings for Jessops I wager the board don't give a rats a**e about their staff

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (9th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexr View Post
I visited both Jessops shops in Glasgow this morning,came home mid afternoon to the news they were in administration.I was in to get a look, "feel", handle the
om-de-m5 with a view to buy.They had only one on display,none in stock,and little knowledge of the camera,all nikon ,canon.The price for it in Jessops is as good as most UK dealers,if they had it in stock they had a sale,only options was deposit with 2-3 day delivery to shop, or payment upfront with home delivery I declined both, as after travelling in to Glasgow I wanted to go home with the camera.Close call ?.Still feel for the staff as they were most likely the last to find out they had no job.

Alex.
Sounds like a lucky escape, Alex.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
My family have been retailing in Bridgend County since 1872 and I have been running my "Traditional, good old fashioned Ironmonger's ( hardware store to our US / Canadian friends ) since 1995 . We offer "proper" service, sound advice, quality products most of which are cheaper than the likes of B&Q ( Home Depot ) and a huge and diverse range, all with 'family business values'
Ahh, but does the shop have bare floorboards and smell of creosote and paraffin? If it doesn't, then it's not a proper ironmongers!

Jim
Old 9th January 2013

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,282 Times in 1,083 Posts

Sad to see Jessops go although I think it's been on the cards for a while. Probably only staved off a little by the earlier demise of Jacobs. I actually got my E510 from Jessops as it was an end of line offer and it was just as cheap as anywhere on the net at the time plus I could take it back locally if it had had any problems.
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

All this talk of ironmongers reminds me of the 'four candles' sketch on The Two Ronnies.

The only newsagent in a 50 mile radius closed about 7 years ago in this part of Ontario.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Not surprised at all, Jessops attitude to what they called " niche " camera brands was laid out in a Head Office Memo over 5 years ago. The staff were categorically told to steer to Canicon on all occasions.

I was shown the memo by a Branch Manager three days after they told him at9:00 o'clock Monday morning that the shop was closed as of that moment.

Not been near the chain since.
peak4 (10th January 2013), Zuiko (10th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
My family have been retailing in Bridgend County since 1872 and I have been running my "Traditional, good old fashioned Ironmonger's
Oh wow, I know where you are - I sometimes use the public loos behind you.
The Mayor's car is kept in a lock up garage in Tondu.
I might surprise you and call in one day!

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 10th January 2013

Liked 2,969 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Ahh, but does the shop have bare floorboards and smell of creosote and paraffin? If it doesn't, then it's not a proper ironmongers!

Jim
Preferably with brooms and gardening implements standing up in galvanised dustbins.

I am a sucker for traditional ironmongers and always have to explore it if I find a new one. When we were on holiday in a cottage in Wells-next-the-Sea recently we bought a crab from the fishmongers and then realised that we needed some nutcrackers to tackle it. A visit to the local traditional ironmongers revealed a selection and, as we couldn't decide, we bought two pairs.

Ron
Old 10th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
Hi Jim,

The "bare boards & sawdust" have gone I'm afraid, part of the need to evolve to encourage the next generation of customers in. The 'youngsters' are into high tech gadgets and 'shiny clean stores' so you have to adapt if you want to get their business.

The shop does however still have that 'old hardware store smell' to it, and yes the paraffin and creosote add to that.

Regards Simon