Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 9th July 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E500 Parts

Whilst out enjoying some shooting in the beautiful city of Tallinn this afternoon I changed batteries as the warning for low battery had come on, during the process the battery compartment door/cover came adrift and fell off.

Sadly not only had it become detached but as I was atop the highest tower in the city, St Olaf Church, (once the highest tower in Europe) it descended with a clatter never to be seen again.

The only saving grace is that the camera still works without the door and I should be able to continue shooting for the rest of the trip. The battery is quite exposed and prone to falling out but I should be able to fix this with some paper packing and a plaster (must add gaffer tape to kitbag for running repairs!).

Anyway does anyone know of a good source for parts where I may be able to get a replacement, or indeed does anyone have a defunct E500 with a battery door? I seem to remember reading about a store that someone else had used for parts (it may have been in Luton, or I may have imagined that ).

I would rather not return the camera to Olympus for repair as it looks like the door just clips on/off and I'm sure that getting Olympus to this would be rather expensive.

Any advice would be or comments would be most welcomed.
Old 9th July 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E500 Parts

Give Luton Cameras a call. They can get spares, and can also do repairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to j.baker For This Useful Post:
olyroby (13th November 2011)
Old 9th July 2008

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

I am sure you 'ought' to be able to buy replacement parts from Olympus, but from my own experience I wish you luck!

Forum users may remember a discussion that we had here a few weeks ago, regarding diffusers for the FL50 flashgun. Having been advised by Olympus UK that these were 'available from stock' (but not available to me as I am not a dealer), I ordered a pair from one of my local dealers, RGB Labs in Middlesbrough.

That was eight weeks ago! I have phoned repeatedly, and have been told that they (the shop) are waiting for stock from Olympus. Promises to obtain an answer from the Olympus Rep have also failed to produce any results.

Their most recent report was that Olympus UK was waiting for stock from China or Japan, but even fast contaner ships don't take that long to cross the South China Sea! I have also been told that Olympus UK don't work on Friday's, so there is no point calling them before the weekend!

Frankly, I dont know who to believe any more. I was seriously considering buying an E3 to use alongside my E1, but if Olympus' service is that bad I think I might just buy a Canikon instead.

So, as I said, I wish you luck.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th July 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchallen View Post
I would rather not return the camera to Olympus for repair as it looks like the door just clips on/off and I'm sure that getting Olympus to this would be rather expensive.
It does ... I learned this early on and have been careful where and how violently I open the battery compartment on my E-500 ever since

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Last edited by shenstone; 9th July 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th July 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks to you all for your quick replies.

J.Baker - I thought it was Luton Cameras but was not sure, I will give them a try when I get back. Many thanks for the tip.

Having just dragged my wife around the old town centre in order to get a few night scenes and to try out some fill in flash shots I can confirm that a temporary repair off a business card (folded) and three sticky plasters works fine as long as you remember too leave the memory card door accessible! Which is just as well as I don't know the Estonian for "Masking Tape".

Kind regards.

Jason.
Old 10th July 2008
Rod Souter

Re diffuser.

I rang RGB today they said that the diffuser had just arrived, but the reflector was not expected until next week.

Rod
Old 10th July 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the E500 battery cover is the same as the E510?

I ask this because I have an E510 battery, and memory, door/cover spare parts here.
Old 10th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post
Re diffuser.

I rang RGB today they said that the diffuser had just arrived, but the reflector was not expected until next week.

Rod

I know nothing about this. RGB have my number, I have called them every week or so, but the haven't been in contact.

I was asked to cover the opening of our village flower festival tonight. Most of the photo's are OK, but many of the faces are whitened out - which was exactly the effect that I wanted to avoid with the diffuser.

As I said, these parts were ordered around two months ago, and I still dont have them. I sorry to say it, but to me, this means that Olympus simply doesn't have credibility it needs if it wants to be seen as a serious contender in the professional market. This may mean that I look to Canon for my next professional camera. I'm afraid that loyalty works both ways.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post
Re diffuser.

Rod

H'apparently not.

I have just rung them to be told that they 'might come in today, or it might be Monday'.

There again, I was told that 'Olympus doesn't work on a Friday' so I cannot see them being dispatched today.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th July 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just a quick update for you all.

I popped into Luton Camera Repair Centre yesterday and picked up a replacement battery door for the princely sum of £10!

I cannot praise them highly enough, when I called they knew exactly what I was talking about and informed me they had one in stock, they were happy to post it out but as I wanted to ensure I had it available for the weekend I decided to collect.

Many thanks as ever to all of you for your quick and informative replies.

Jason.