Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 5th May 2012

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Fungus in cemented lens groups

Hello everybody, I've just stripped down my 50mm 1.8 to remove dust and fungus and discovered that some of the fungus is inside the cemented group at the front of the lens. Can anything be done about this or will I just have to live with it? I'm thinking about using my OM glass with the E-M5 (when it arrives!) and would like them to be in the best condition.
Old 5th May 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Re: Fungus in cemented lens groups

Not worth bothering

I suggest selling the 1.8 on ebay and getting an f/1.4 as they are that bit better and worthy of putting on the OM-D.

I and may others consider the 24mm f/2.8 to be one of the best OM lenses for putting onto the digital bodies.

Have fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th May 2012

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I and may others consider the 24mm f/2.8 to be one of the best OM lenses for putting onto the digital bodies.
Hmm, not keen on the 250mm f/2 then?

Ciao ... John
Old 5th May 2012

Thanks Graham, I have a 1.4 as well which is a great lens too. I'll try leaving it in the sun to heat up the fungus, don't want to sell it as it came with my OM10 (sentimental value!).
Old 18th January 2013
donmcmahan

this is a very stale thread, don't know if there is any point weighing in at this late date but here goes. are you sure it is fungus? more likely it is the cement breaking down. I was an optical instrument repairman in the US Navy for 20 years. I have personally re-cemented hundreds, perhaps thousands of lenses. If the cemented group is put together with thermo-setting plastic, forget it, if it is cemented with Canada Balsam it is easily done by someone who knows what they are doing and has the equipment. Don't ask me where you might find someone, I have the skills but not the equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Bluegrass Jim (26th February 2013)
Old 19th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcmahan View Post
this is a very stale thread, don't know if there is any point weighing in at this late date but here goes. are you sure it is fungus? more likely it is the cement breaking down. I was an optical instrument repairman in the US Navy for 20 years. I have personally re-cemented hundreds, perhaps thousands of lenses. If the cemented group is put together with thermo-setting plastic, forget it, if it is cemented with Canada Balsam it is easily done by someone who knows what they are doing and has the equipment. Don't ask me where you might find someone, I have the skills but not the equipment.
Thanks for that explaination, Don. I had a 250mm lens for a Kowa 66 with the cement breaking down in the front group, around the edges. At wider apertures it caused noticable softness, but that disappeared upon stopping down to f16 and beyond. In all the years I had it the problem didn't appear to get much worse, so it seems that degradation of the cement can be a slow process. Is there anything in particular (such as the way the lens is stored) that causes the cement to break down, or is it just a natural consequence of age?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th January 2013
donmcmahan

As we who were in the business of fixing things in the Navy used to say "nothing is sailor proof" the biggest causes of cement breakdown in for instance navy binoculars are abuse and the marine environment. with your camera lens I would be pretty sure its just age.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (19th January 2013)
Old 19th January 2013

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcmahan View Post
As Don says it is most likely the balsam breaking down. With regard to who could undertake such a repair you should contact "Malcolm Taylor" . He is a renowned repairer of Leica optics among others, has his own "vacuum re-coating" service and is without doubt your best option, Leica UK ( and others ) have often used his services

I myself have used Malcolm on "many" occasions, in fact right now he has one of my lenses .... a lovely example of the Nikon 300 F4.5 "H" scalloped-barrel optic which has degradation to the coating of one of the internal elements and he is in the process of polishing and re-coating it

Malcolm advertises in Amateur Photographer and can be contacted at :-

Malcolm Taylor
Upper Lye Farm
Aymestrey
Hereford
HR6 9SZ

Tel: 01568 770542

One thing to bear in mind is that if the lens requires re-cementing and re-coating in the process it will not be a "cheap" job , most likely in excess of 150 , possibly even 200. Given how cheaply a 50 F1.8 can be bought for it will only make any sense if it holds sufficient "sentimental" value.

Kind regards Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Bluegrass Jim (26th February 2013)
Old 26th February 2013

Thanks Don and Simon for your advice, needless to say I don't feel that sentimental about my 50mm to spend that sort of money sorting it! I've put it back together and like Zuiko says if I stop down it isn't noticable.
Cheers Jim.