Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 24th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts
Support your local shop?

I'm a firm believer in supporting local camera shops wherever possible. One of my nearest is Cameraworld in Chelmsford, which is nicely laid out, has knowledgable staff, stocks Olympus and competes well on price.

It seemed the obvious place to go when I wanted a new camera and I visited them last Tuesday to buy an E-P3 twin lens kit. They didn't have one in stock but they phoned their shop in London and confirmed that one was available there. They said they could get it to Chelmsford in a couple of days, which was fine with me because I was due in town again on Thursday anyway.

I walked in the shop on Thursday expecting to collect my camera, only to be told that the London shop had sent an E-PL3 instead of an E-P3. They were apologetic but I didn't mind too much as mistakes do happen and they promised to phone me in a couple of days when they had sorted it out.

By Saturday afternoon I hadn't heard anything so I phoned the shop. The lady I spoke to didn't know anything about it but said she would phone me on Monday (today) to let me know what was happening. This afternoon I had still not had a call so I phoned SRS in Watford. Yes, they had the twin lens kits in stock, in a choice of colours (I've gone for black) and they confirmed it would be posted today.

Too late if the local shop contact me now, I gave them the opportunity for a sale but if they can't be bothered to let me know what's going on......

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th October 2011

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts
Re: Support your local shop?

I don't blame you John they had their chance. It's always a dilema to support local shops when the internet is so convenient and generally cheaper. I did support a relatively local dealer in Burton Chris Goodhead when I got my Oly repaired. They offered to send it off to Oly for me covering packaging & insurance etc. So took the easy route and I let them. I was quoted 10 days for the repair but after 10 days Oly said it had failed QA and needed more work..? in the end it took about 4 weeks which mean't that I didn't get it back to take on holiday. When I told the shop that the delay would mean I couldn't take it on holiday they straight away offered to lend me a replacement camera for free without any prompting. Great service I'd say and enough to make me try them out for purchases in the future.
Old 24th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I don't blame you John they had their chance. It's always a dilema to support local shops when the internet is so convenient and generally cheaper. I did support a relatively local dealer in Burton Chris Goodhead when I got my Oly repaired. They offered to send it off to Oly for me covering packaging & insurance etc. So took the easy route and I let them. I was quoted 10 days for the repair but after 10 days Oly said it had failed QA and needed more work..? in the end it took about 4 weeks which mean't that I didn't get it back to take on holiday. When I told the shop that the delay would mean I couldn't take it on holiday they straight away offered to lend me a replacement camera for free without any prompting. Great service I'd say and enough to make me try them out for purchases in the future.
That's an example of great service from a local shop, Phil, and I'm sure they will be rewarded with future business from you.

I'll still be happy to do business with Cameraworld, but only if they have what I want in stock at the time.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That's an example of great service from a local shop, Phil, and I'm sure they will be rewarded with future business from you.

I'll still be happy to do business with Cameraworld, but only if they have what I want in stock at the time.
Have you told Camera world of your experience?
It might help them to get their customer service right.
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Have you told Camera world of your experience?
It might help them to get their customer service right.

I absolutely agree with Dave. If you don't tell them that you are not happy then they will never join the dots to fix it in future. Sometimes I feel like one of those grumpy old men - however in the modern world where service isn't the first word of shop assistants lips,they sometimes need to be reminded(nicely) that there are other suppliers only too willing to fill their place and at better prices too.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 25th October 2011
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

All I ever seem to get in shops these days is a guy who trys to sell me things I don't want or hasn't got a clue about the things they are selling

The only shop that seem to have staff that know their stuff is the Apple Store.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
All I ever seem to get in shops these days is a guy who trys to sell me things I don't want or hasn't got a clue about the things they are selling
To true both in the UK and Canada.

One local shop in Ontario lists all sorts of equipment on their web site but carry hardly anything in stock and try to discourage you from ordering anything not in stock by telling you the item is no good.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 25th October 2011
Administrator

I will tell Cameraworld - when I've finished playing with my E-P3 which arrived from SRS this morning. Great service from them, ordered 2.15pm yesterday, delivered 9.30am today!

Old 25th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,652 Times in 739 Posts

Interesting one, John. I have moved this thread to the Dealer's Den board

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (25th October 2011)
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Interesting account, thanks for posting.
You should tell your local shop, not that you were unhappy with the service, just that you spent umpteen hundreds on their direct competitor for want of a phone call or two!
They did know it was the expensive version you wanted, they had their chance.

I'm proud to say I've actually bought a whole DSLR from my local shop, but they lost sales by deciding to never stock Olympus viewfinders ...
Old 27th October 2011

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,281 Times in 1,082 Posts

Come to think of it several years ago I actually bought my E510 at Jessops in Derby. It was an end of year sale though and a pretty good deal having checked the internet first and not found a significant price drop I ordered it on line and collected from the shop - very convenient. Local shops should do more of this type of selling as it gets round delivery charges and the inconvenience of waiting in for parcels.
Old 31st January 2012
robbie_d

The debate of local shop versus big chain is an interesting one.

I've has very mixed experiences with one of the major chains recently (Jessops).

On one hand, I had a guy who near-enough refused to sell me anything but a Nikon 1 ("it absolutely destroys Micro-Four Thirds in every possible way", apparently), but when I asked how to change the aperture (which I knew, but I like to test these guys), he replied with "Oh, you can't".

On the other hand I recently purchased a Fuji X10 which developed a fault within moments of getting it home. I took it back to a the same store (different guy though) and they were only too happy to give me a full refund and apolgise for any inconvenience I had suffered.

A mixed bag for sure, but if anyone knows of a good independent camera store in the Stourbridge area (I've only just moved here) please let me know! After the Nikon 1 debacle I'll happily support a good independent!
Old 31st January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_d View Post
The debate of local shop versus big chain is an interesting one.

I've has very mixed experiences with one of the major chains recently (Jessops).

On one hand, I had a guy who near-enough refused to sell me anything but a Nikon 1 ("it absolutely destroys Micro-Four Thirds in every possible way", apparently), but when I asked how to change the aperture (which I knew, but I like to test these guys), he replied with "Oh, you can't".

On the other hand I recently purchased a Fuji X10 which developed a fault within moments of getting it home. I took it back to a the same store (different guy though) and they were only too happy to give me a full refund and apolgise for any inconvenience I had suffered.

A mixed bag for sure, but if anyone knows of a good independent camera store in the Stourbridge area (I've only just moved here) please let me know! After the Nikon 1 debacle I'll happily support a good independent!
Sadly, what the typical Jessop's sales rep knows about photography can be written on the back of a box of Kodachrome 64 - with space to spare!

Sometimes you could take the collective knowledge of the entire store and stilll have sufficient space!

Old 31st January 2012

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Sadly, what the typical Jessop's sales rep knows about photography can be written on the back of a box of Kodachrome 64 - with space to spare!

Sometimes you could take the collective knowledge of the entire store and stilll have sufficient space!
Occasionally I feel sorry for some of these youngsters who lets face it have been literally dumped in at the deep end. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes, doing a job that I'm probably not in the least bit interested and being paid pretty poorly for it.
It's the old Jessops chicken and egg syndrome, knowledge & experience verses poor pay/poor job satisfaction.
With the not so comfortable position Jessops are in together with the general direction of high street retail the staff overhead is bound to gravitate to poor pay/poor job satisfaction every time.
I generally steer clear of Jessops

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 31st January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Occasionally I feel sorry for some of these youngsters who lets face it have been literally dumped in at the deep end. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes, doing a job that I'm probably not in the least bit interested and being paid pretty poorly for it.
It's the old Jessops chicken and egg syndrome, knowledge & experience verses poor pay/poor job satisfaction.
With the not so comfortable position Jessops are in together with the general direction of high street retail the staff overhead is bound to gravitate to poor pay/poor job satisfaction every time.
I generally steer clear of Jessops
You're right, Huw, and I don't actually mind that they don't know what they are talking about - until they make sweeping statements such as "The Nikon 1 absolutely destroys Micro-Four Thirds in every possible way."

The last time I was in Jessop's was a while ago, to see if I could have a look at the (then) newly released M.Zuiko 40-150mm. Young laddie said they didn't have one and proceded to attempt to sell me a Nex - fat chance!