Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 20th January 2011
Crawford

Cheaper Zoom options

Hi,Had my E-620 plus 14-42 and 40-150 lenses for around seven months now and am very happy with the setup especially using the smaller zoom.I would love to splash out on the very popular 70-300 zoom made by Olympus but i can't justify the spend at the moment but i see a lot of older zooms on the market(e-bay) going for not a lot of money,is there anything to look out for(makes etc) thats definitely worth buying that would do a similar job as the 70-300 regarding quality and focal length, and would it work albeit manually?also i believe i would need a four thirds adapter to make this work,love to read any suggestions and personal experiences,thanks Crawford.
Old 20th January 2011

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Cheaper Zoom options

I would seriously save up for the 70-300 which is a great lens. However, I understand the finances thing.

Many would push you the various OM zuiko lenses.. For myself I would suggest Tamron lenses. For example the Tamron 200mm f3.5 and the 135mm f2.5 are very nice bits of glass, and as sharp as you might need. Otherwise its difficult to suggest a worthwhile lens longer than the 150 you already have. I would not recommend a cheap teleconverter or a mirror lens in your position. There's a reason why you see so many for sale on e-bay

In the long term, you would be better served in saving for that 70-300 :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 20th January 2011
Crawford

Hi,thanks for your reply and i totally understand re-cheaper options,i had a Tamron 80-210 Zoom when i had an OM-10,great lens.I could buy the 70-300 tomorrow but having 4 kids from 9,11,16 and one soon to be 21 i just feel if i spend the money just now i'll get sent to the naughty step!! I think your advice is what my head is telling me,save up for it,i'll appreciate all the more,cheers,Crawford.
Old 20th January 2011

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Hi,thanks for your reply and i totally understand re-cheaper options,i had a Tamron 80-210 Zoom when i had an OM-10,great lens.I could buy the 70-300 tomorrow but having 4 kids from 9,11,16 and one soon to be 21 i just feel if i spend the money just now i'll get sent to the naughty step!! I think your advice is what my head is telling me,save up for it,i'll appreciate all the more,cheers,Crawford.
I know just how you feel Crawford

Our four are 8,11,17 and nearly 18 (we are a modern family ). Keep a look out on the forum and you might be able to pick up a used 70-300 at a reasonable price assuming, of course, you don't have driving lessons, uni fees, birthday parties and christmas

Its a trying life but great fun

Greg
Old 21st January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think we all understand the financial constraints, even those of us with fewer children.

Put some money to one side and keep looking - not only on here but on other forums too. My 70-300mm lens came from second hand from USA, but you do need to be sure that import duty, VAT and GPO fees don't make it more expensive than from within EU.
Old 21st January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a paragon 300 mirror lens with an adaptor. Its a crackin lens nice and light, but the focusing is a nightmare with moving objects as they dont have focus aids in the viewfinder anymore. So if you do head that way I would look into the focus confirm adaptors if you plan on moving objects.
I am currently saving for the 70-300 as I want to take more bird pics.
Old 21st January 2011

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

I was recently quite lucky and bought a prisine 70-300 from a forum member (who was upgrading) for around 2/3rds new price.
I've not used it much yet, but it seems to live up to its reputation.
Keep your nerve & save your pennies and one will turn up eventually.

However I don't think I'll be getting rid of my 40-150 kit lens which I think is very underrated - just (like all zooms) don't wind it up to full length.

Remember at 150 its equvalent to 300mm (in film terms); back in those days 300mm was considered difficult/impossible to hand hold and the "standard" was nearer 200mm. People managed to take decent photos then.

Regarding Legacy lens - they have shot up in price recently - unless you have a relative or friend with one gathering dust my guess is it won't be THAT cheap an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Homer Simpson For This Useful Post: