Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 9th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts
Re: DOF Olympus

Just tell your tutor that when you want shallow DOF focus with Olympus is on the nose every time!

and that DOF cuts both ways - Olympus has an advantage when you want lots of it!

If he wants to brush up on his skills and knowledge I'll do an e-mail correspondence course for him at a reasonable rate!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all for the great photos. Together we will prove the man wrong.
Next month I will have my first lesson and then I will give him a link to this thread. I can't wait for his reaction and will let you know of course!
And John: who knows, maybe he will accept your offer.

E30 / E-PL1 /14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 / 40-150 mm 1:4,0-5,6 / 12-60 mm SWD / 70-300 mm /FL-50R / mFT 14-42 mm
Old 9th January 2011

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
and that DOF cuts both ways - Olympus has an advantage when you want lots of it!
Good point, just remember that for every pro there's a con... no camera system is perfect for every type of shot and you have to play to your advantages.

It still amazes me that so many people are so stuck on 35mm as if it's some kind of holy grail!
Old 9th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the comments I often get for pictures is "Good DoF", it's often left by somebody who may not have a lot of time and who means, "I like the shallow focus, which gives good detail of one thing only and puts the background out of focus,"

In reality every single image you see demonstrates 'depth of field' in some way or other. So it's a bit odd that a tutor might suggest that one brand of camera might do this better, or worse, than another. But maybe they'll be using one sort of chart to explain things, and don't know if it will be applicable to brand of camera they've never used. But then a couple of years ago I tried a local night class course. At the time I was using an E-400, the 'tutor' reckoned he'd never heard of Olympus and doubted I'd be able to take a decent picture with such a small camera!

Anyhow, I've stuck some pictures in my gallery that show shallow depth of field, here are a couple.

1) Taken with 70-300mm

2) Taken with 35mm macro

And also one that I'm sure would have shown the distant mountains in greater detail, if only there hadn't been heat haze in the way.

3) Taken with 14-42mm

Old 9th January 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Good luck with the course, and please keep us informed how you get on with it!

Having only used an Olympus DSLR, I can't really comment about other systems/brands, other than to say that whatever they can do, we can probably do better....and cheaper...and easier....

Not that I'm in any way biased, but I'm a tad bored with Canikon users looking down their noses at me.

Now I really must go to bed before I open the second bottle of wine!

Janet

Old 10th January 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Here's another couple of examples Wilma. The first of these was taken with the 12-60, the second with the 50mm f/2..... best of luck with the course

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 10th January 2011

Thanked 1,302 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomke View Post
Thanks for your answers. I was thinking the same. I think the person that will give the course has a prejudice and I am looking forward to proving him wrong. It will not be the first time that I will have to "defend" my decision why I use Olympus. For others it might be a reason not to go there, but the course has a very good reputation and I like the confrontation. I am a bit surprised though that the man is giving courses for a long time now and apparently there hasn't been an Olympus user who told him he was wrong. I like to be the first one then!! I went through my photos and found these two, Do you think they are good enough to show him, because they are not as sharp as yours? Otherwise I would like to show him yours if you agree.
I had a community college teacher who came from using a Canon & went to a Nikon who also had his biases about Olympus. He had it in his mind that Olympus cameras had a shutter delay to consider (there is a small one if the Super Control Panel is on) & he loved using JPEGs only (nothing wrong with that if no adjustments are necessary) & said converting to TIFF for editing was his preference (each to their own). He didn't like RAWs for whatever reason. Remember to correct him diplomatically otherwise you will get his back up straight away (that's my flaw). They don't normally like being preached to, but you can subtly show him with your results.

On DoF, the longer the lens at closer the focus, the shorter the DoF.

Here is my sample of a short DoF using a ZD70-300 lens
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hope you slept well Janet with only one bottle of wine. Thanks for your comments. You are not the only one: people using C/N always comment on my using Olympus. I do not even bother to explain anymore unless they are really interested (and most of the time they are not). My experience is that almost all of them do not know what Olympus cameras are able to do. They buy C of N because "everybody does".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Remember to correct him diplomatically otherwise you will get his back up straight away (that's my flaw). They don't normally like being preached to, but you can subtly show him with your results.
That is what I intend to do, Ross. When the lessons about DOF start, I prefer to show him examples instead of argueing. Don't worry, I can be very diplomatic.

Thanks Huw for the beautiful photos.

BTW: I am glad everybody reacts this way, with great shots to help me. Thank you all once again.

Off to work now, oh, I don't like mondays.

E30 / E-PL1 /14-42 mm 1:3,5-5,6 / 40-150 mm 1:4,0-5,6 / 12-60 mm SWD / 70-300 mm /FL-50R / mFT 14-42 mm
Old 10th January 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Does this guy say the same thing to Canon owners who's crop factor is x1.6 and who's narrow dof is very little better than the OLy's x2 or does he teach only full frame owners!!

And if you wanted to get into a contest you could say that once you get past the kit lenses Olympus has the advantage as there lenses in general are a stop faster!

For example and using a equivalent comparison the Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro/portrait lens (96mm eq) is a stop slower than the Olympus 50mm f2 Macro/portrait lens (100mm eq) and has less DOF wide open than the Canon offering.

Most have put up macro or long focal length shots where it easy to get a narrow dof, so here's a portrait head shot taken with the Oly 50mm and just the eyes in focus, just how much narrow dof do you want . You sure you want this guy teaching you?

And just for good measure a candid portrait taken with the 70-300m lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
tomke (14th January 2011)
Old 10th January 2011
Makonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomke View Post
In a telephone call with the person giving the course he asked me which camera I use and told me that in the lessons about the DOF there could be some problems for the Olympus cameras. I could not ask for an explanation. Do you know what he means by that?
I have to chuckle at the outraged replies to this message, which are quite right but I suspect that all the tutor meant was that he has prepared materials and figures based on the commoner APSC sensor & maybe full-frame 35mm cameras, so they will be different for yours.

Check out http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html and if you wish, compile your own tables for your gear (include the rather useful hyperfocal distances for your lenses at given apertures too).

People get too hung up on DOF as an end in itself but it is really just one means to an end - helping to isolate a single subject from background or other detail which the photographer regards as extraneous or distracting. Olympus gives you more advantage overall in that for a given aperture&focal length you have greater DOF. You can get a whole butterfly in focus where another camera on equivalent settings might get just the body and leave the wings blurry.....you can get a whole landscape crystal clear without going to F22.

I always add the point that post processing also needs to be considered. You can easily add blur to parts of a photograph you want to be progressively out of focus, but if something is not in focus in the first place, it isn't so easy to sharpen it back into focus....
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonde View Post
I have to chuckle at the outraged replies to this message, which are quite right but I suspect that all the tutor meant was that he has prepared materials and figures based on the commoner APSC sensor & maybe full-frame 35mm cameras, so they will be different for yours.
Yes that's what I thought too.

Paul
Old 10th January 2011
pepper

Wilma, the second of the pictures you put up (the butterfly) is a lovely example of a nice shallow DOF, in my opinion.

An example from me is below:

Old 15th October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious about the object of the narrow DOF. TIA
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I think the key thing here is that every camera has it's own characteristics and a user will become accustomed to them and get the best out of them whatever science might predict. Just show him how good you are with your own kit!

David
Old 16th October 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: DOF Olympus

What is the shiny silver object?

Janet[/quote]