Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th April 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: repair saga

Well. I phoned Oly this morning to see what is happening with my lens repair.

History so far: Posted the lens to them 18th Feb so called next day delivery. (They did get it but it never did appear on the PO tracking system) They posted me an estimate on the 25th Feb, I paid them immediately on credit card. They took the money within days. I get a letter on 15th March to say they need parts - which are on order.

Latest news. They are still waiting for the parts. They are due 15th April. If that happens on schedule then I get my lens back - I don't know, a week later?

If so then it will have been out of my grasp for nine weeks.

BTW - It takes a month to get parts from Japan to Portugal? Really?

You may gather I am now less than impressed. I'm just glad I have other lenses.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
BTW - It takes a month to get parts from Japan to Portugal? Really?
If they use courier pigeon then yes
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
If they use courier pigeon then yes
I think you should get it repaired for FREE after all that time,it doesn't fill you with confidence does it.
Old 7th April 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
I think you should get it repaired for FREE after all that time,it doesn't fill you with confidence does it.
I think there is a bit of an issue here, in all seriousness:

I used Nikon film gear for years then I switched to Oly when I judged that digital sensors were finally starting to match 35mm film quality. I find Olympus lenses to be the best I have used. I have no complaints about my 510 and 620 - both small and well specified cameras.

However (if my experience is anything to go by) Olympus need to address the repairs side of things. Hopefully you won't need to use the repair service, but if you do then you don't want an already painful experience to be made worse than necessary.

There must be an ever growing E-series user base out there, so the repair facility should be gearing up and holding the spares it needs. You shouldn't need to wait a month for the manufacturer's own repair service to get spares from headquarters...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th April 2010
John Ponting

I would hope that Olympus go out of their way to placate you - free repair and a decent warranty on the job - to try to convince you to be a loyal customer.

If this had been me then I would have been screaming by now. I have an E-520 and 3 lenses so far and this makes transferring to another manufacturer quite difficult. Even harder after making a concious decision to buy Olympus over Canon/Nikon. Size, weight, quality, IS in body, long history of OM1 usage AND a price bonus.
Old 8th April 2010
forester

Olympus have not got the monopoly on farcical repair sagas, Sigma are just as bad .
I have a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 mk2 HSM that had a motor failure.
Sent to Sigma paid 125 for the repair, Non warrantee (grey import, not me) after 3 weeks it arrives back not quite right noisy on focus, phoned Sigma, they ordered a new board and motor from Japan (they have to be a matched pair).
I sent the lens back to them via Special Delivery Wednesday, phoned today to find the motors and boards sent by Japan were not matched so the saga rolls on, so I will be without this lens for another 3/4 weeks.
One consolation is you can talk to the guys at Sigma, they are in this country. Not that this is a great help.
Old 8th April 2010
John Ponting

I could just about throw a lens from home to Sigma in WGC. Might be tempted if I had your history.
Old 13th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ponting View Post
I could just about throw a lens from home to Sigma in WGC. Might be tempted if I had your history.
An update for you, can you sling something other than my lens, something rather heavy.
I had a phone call today, big apologies, the circuit board and matched motor will not be in the UK before May, so sending the lens back to me, it is just about usable, they will then do a collection and repair when the parts arrive.
Another thing I was told the 50-500mm (bigma) has been discontinued in Fourthirds mount.
Regards
Richard
Old 13th April 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I get the distinct impression that Sigma have quietly dropped Fourthirds development and instead are going to concentrate on m4/3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
Another thing I was told the 50-500mm (bigma) has been discontinued in Fourthirds mount.
Regards
Richard

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site