Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-420

Old 19th May 2009
vikkijardhu

Smile E420 (lens)

Hi again all.
I am looking for more advice regarding the above camera!! I have a Minolta AF28-80 and a Sigma zoom AF 28-70 lens from my 35mm camera is there an adapter so I can use these lenses or would this be a waste of money!! and could it cause problems with the camera? would I be better to purchase new lenses with the 4/3 fit. Looking forward to your comments. From a very novice Vikki
Old 19th May 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: E420 (lens)

Yes, you can fit many "old style" lenses to your E-series camera, there are folks on this forum who use older lenses for various perverse reasons :-)

However it might be more rewarding to start with a second modern lens for your E420. This will almost certainly give you sharper results with more accurate exposure and of course it will be autofocus.

So - my advice would be to keep the old lenses somewhere dry, ready for the day when you are ready to try something adventurous

Pete

PS, I just noticed both your lenses are described as "AF".. They will probably be more trouble to fit and use than older manual lenses. They will not autofocus on the Olympus, that's for cartain...

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Last edited by snaarman; 19th May 2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: PS
Old 19th May 2009
EH1

Smile Re: E420 (lens)

You need to ask yourself what kind of photography you do to decide which lenses will suit your needs! ie. If you do mainly macro photography you may want to invest in a macro lens, or if you take alot of landscapes you may want to get a wide angle lens. However if you get yourself a 14-42mm & a 40-150mm lens that would be a good starting point. I hope this helps a little!
Old 19th May 2009
vikkijardhu

Thanks for that I thought it would be more of a problem will have to save up. regards
Vikki
Old 19th May 2009
mike_j

Both lenses are consumer grade zooms and won't be very good on your new camera but if I remember my Minoltas they are both manually operable aperture and focus (though controllable automatically) and so quite usable on an E420. An adaptor will cost about 10 so it so it's not too expensive to try them. The lenses to avoid are ones that require electronics to actuate the aperture and focus motor.

As to a new lens, Currys are selling the 40-150mm zoom for 80 which is quite a bargain. I assume you already have the standard kit lens.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ory_oid=-31543

These kits lenses are the ideal ones to start off with.
Old 19th May 2009
vikkijardhu

Thanks Mike for the info..I can always try them before writing them off. Will look around for the best prices for lenses, Currys are very good pricewise at the moment.
Vikki
Old 19th May 2009

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

You can get the 40-150 in Currys for 80. A good price methinks.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 19th May 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Hi Vikki,

Did you get the standard 14-42mm zoom lens with the E420?

It really is a cracking little lens which ideal for landscapes, portraits, familly and pet shots. It also focuses reasonably close which makes it suitable for close-ups of flowers, etc.

In short, it's a versatile lens which will cover many of the shots you want to do and allow you time to save up for another lens while thinking about what other types of photography you'd like to pursue.

The 40-150mm has been mentioned and this is a fantastic general purpose telephoto zoom, but if you develop an interest in, say, wildlife the 70-300mm may suit your needs even better. Or, having explored the close up possibilities with the kit lens you may want to get even closer to small subjects and find a true macro lens is right up your street.

There's no need to rush into buying another lens, you can do a lot and learn a lot with the lens you already have.

Forgive us if we use jargon in our posts that you don't understand and don't be afraid to ask! For instance, several of us have mentioned "macro" and it's easy to forget that there was a time when I didn't have a clue what macro was (looking at my efforts some would say that I still don't! ).

We're here to help you enjoy your photography.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tend to look to technology, admitedly too much, to make my pictures better. So I'm looking at this thread and others thinking how can they be thinking of putting a telephoto lens on an E420, its hasn't got IS!

Is this just me believing all that I read about how IS is a must, when in reality my E420 with the 40-150mm would be a compact and lightweight set up that by following some basic principles would be capable of producing great results IS or not? At 80 from currys, seems a bit of a no brainer or will too many shots be plagued by camera shake at anything less than 1/300th?
Old 19th May 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelavis View Post
I tend to look to technology, admitedly too much, to make my pictures better. So I'm looking at this thread and others thinking how can they be thinking of putting a telephoto lens on an E420, its hasn't got IS!

Is this just me believing all that I read about how IS is a must, when in reality my E420 with the 40-150mm would be a compact and lightweight set up that by following some basic principles would be capable of producing great results IS or not? At 80 from currys, seems a bit of a no brainer or will too many shots be plagued by camera shake at anything less than 1/300th?
Michael,

Image Stabilisation is a wonderful invention, especially for me as I now suffer from Parkinson's and holding a camera steady is becomming increasingly difficult, but in the old days we used to happily use long telephotos without any stabilisation except, perhaps, a tripod!

It's easy to become a slave to technology and believe that you cannot do without it, but you can - it just needs a little more care and thought. O.K. there will be many situations when IS would help get a shot that would be difficult without it but there are equally many situations when it is not really neccessary.

On a reasonably bright day, using a 40-150mm lens fully extended you may get an exposure of 1/1000 sec @ f5.6 (at ISO 200). Do you really need IS? I think not. Now if your shutter speed drops below 1/250 sec you may well have problems, for which there are a number of solutions. First, of course, is IS but if you haven't got that you can increase the ISO, use a tripod or monopod, brace yourself against a wall, tree or fence, rest the lens on a companion's shoulder - the options are many and varied.

Also remember that even IS will not compensate for sloppy technique. Make sure that you hold the camera correctly, with your right hand gripping the camera and the left supporting the lens from underneath. Stand with feet slightly apart and firmly planted on stable ground. Hold your breath whilst you gently squeeze the shutter release. Another good position is to kneel on your right knee with left foot on the ground so that you can rest your left elbow on your left knee.

The oft quoted guide that you should use a shutter speed no slower than the 35mm equivalent focal length of the lens is only a guide. Some people can hold a lot slower. I once knew a guy who could hold a 200mm lens rock solid at 1/15th sec and get pin sharp images every time. I metioned that I've got Parkinson's and in my case I need to shorten the shutter speed by a couple of stops. IS is great for me, but you could probably hold a lens without IS as steady as I can with IS!

IS is great but it's not essential. Knowledge and technique are more important. Never let the lack of a particular feature inhibit your photography.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th May 2009
vikkijardhu

Hi John
The lens which came with the camera is a17.5-45mm which I believe has a 2.5x zoom performance and is the middle level of a wide-angle to portrait telephoto range?
I will eventually get a Macro lens, use the camera mainly for animal portraits, wildlife or anything that takes my fancy!
Thanks Vikki
Old 20th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Michael,

Image Stabilisation is a wonderful invention, especially for me as I now suffer from Parkinson's and holding a camera steady is becomming increasingly difficult, but in the old days we used to happily use long telephotos without any stabilisation except, perhaps, a tripod!

It's easy to become a slave to technology and believe that you cannot do without it, but you can - it just needs a little more care and thought. O.K. there will be many situations when IS would help get a shot that would be difficult without it but there are equally many situations when it is not really neccessary.

On a reasonably bright day, using a 40-150mm lens fully extended you may get an exposure of 1/1000 sec @ f5.6 (at ISO 200). Do you really need IS? I think not. Now if your shutter speed drops below 1/250 sec you may well have problems, for which there are a number of solutions. First, of course, is IS but if you haven't got that you can increase the ISO, use a tripod or monopod, brace yourself against a wall, tree or fence, rest the lens on a companion's shoulder - the options are many and varied.

Also remember that even IS will not compensate for sloppy technique. Make sure that you hold the camera correctly, with your right hand gripping the camera and the left supporting the lens from underneath. Stand with feet slightly apart and firmly planted on stable ground. Hold your breath whilst you gently squeeze the shutter release. Another good position is to kneel on your right knee with left foot on the ground so that you can rest your left elbow on your left knee.

The oft quoted guide that you should use a shutter speed no slower than the 35mm equivalent focal length of the lens is only a guide. Some people can hold a lot slower. I once knew a guy who could hold a 200mm lens rock solid at 1/15th sec and get pin sharp images every time. I metioned that I've got Parkinson's and in my case I need to shorten the shutter speed by a couple of stops. IS is great for me, but you could probably hold a lens without IS as steady as I can with IS!

IS is great but it's not essential. Knowledge and technique are more important. Never let the lack of a particular feature inhibit your photography.
John, thank you so much for this, it has really helped me see the wood for the trees - even without IS!