Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P5

Olympus Pen E-P5 The Pen E-P5 is the first Olympus system camera to offer integrated wifi and a top shutter speed of 1/800th second.

Old 5th February 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E-P 5 dial failure

I saw in another forum some talk about E-P5 dial failure.
I got this as an answer for my question about it -

After a period of normal use, one or both dials start to "skip." In other words, you turn the dial a click and the setting does not change. Turn the dial again and it changes. This gets worse over time until you lose the ability to really control the camera. One of my dials is still functional, but the other is pretty well down the road to dysfunction.

Did anyone experience the same?
How big is this problem, if at all?
Old 5th February 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: E-P 5 dial failure

I suggest you get it repaired by Olympus, it will be away for about a week, worth doing.

on flickr
Old 5th February 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I suggest you get it repaired by Olympus, it will be away for about a week, worth doing.
This is not a camera that i own - this is just collecting information before buying one.
Old 12th February 2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anybody? here are more details from the other forum

After a period of normal use, one or both dials start to "skip." In other words, you turn the dial a click and the setting does not change. Turn the dial again and it changes. This gets worse over time until you lose the ability to really control the camera. One of my dials is still functional, but the other is pretty well down the road to dysfunction.

An earlier post pointed out that exposure comp and aperture setting are available on the directional dial buttons. My dial settings now maximise access to those functions and using the buttons is o.k. - but I would still prefer the dials.

I have contacted Olympus USA support about this' trying to understand how big (or small) is this problem, but never had an answer.

What is your experience?
Old 12th February 2016

If you're buying 2nd hand, ask whether the camera has been repaired by Olympus. I sold my EP5 to a forum member here and included the repair report.

If purchasing new (they're still available it seems) you should have warranty, so nothing to worry about.

Get one, really nice solid camera

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
ronyzmbow (12th February 2016)
Old 27th September 2016

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I am beginning to notice this issue on one of the two dials on my E-P5. I had this problem on the E-M1 and managed to have it repaired in spring this year, and the problem has not returned. Have people found that the repairs for the E-P5 have been effective in the long-term? How expensive have they been? I do like the camera (it is a splendid second body to the E-M1 and I do like the PEN design and styling, especially with smaller lenses) but the emerging dial issue rather mars it.
Old 28th September 2016

Since it's a quality (or design) issue, Olympus should rectify at their expense.

As an example of how other manufacturers deal with camera defects, look-up (Google) Leica M9 sensor corrosion you will see that the company rectified all defective sensors by replacement whether the owner purchased the camera new, or was the hundred and first owner having purchased from eBay.

on flickr