Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 17th March 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Shutter Shock :(

Paul, simple damping such as from a compliant material can make a hell of a difference, easily attenuate the g levels.

on flickr
Old 17th March 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Ralph,
In my past I've involved with problems with rapidly decelerating mechanisms, ie hitting end stops. When you instrument the system, the g levels can be suprisingly high, and the frequency response can extend quite high too. Small structures such as what we're talking about here could easily run from near near dc to 20khz, but obviously I don't know enough to make more than a guess. What I'm guessing is the system response is beyond the frequency response of the image stabiliser.
Cheers,
Steve.
Hi there Steve!

We have to deal with decelerating fast moving mechanisms at work too - usually using cone shaped rubber "stops". They tend to give the stopped part of the mechanism a resonance, so I was wondering if Olympus could first tune that resonance and then correct for it on the IBIS. We can always tell when the rubber cones are worn when the mechanisms go clunk not ping.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 17th March 2015

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

OK, here's a silly question. Can you make these adjustments on the EM1 and EM5 and if so which part of the menu please.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 17th March 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Steve!

We have to deal with decelerating fast moving mechanisms at work too - usually using cone shaped rubber "stops". They tend to give the stopped part of the mechanism a resonance, so I was wondering if Olympus could first tune that resonance and then correct for it on the IBIS. We can always tell when the rubber cones are worn when the mechanisms go clunk not ping.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Yes of course, that's inevitable with a stored energy system (the rubber cone being another).
Another manufacturer, which I won't name, is using a stepper motor as the shutter actuator. Current dynamic range isn't quite high enough, given the exceedingly small envelope, so the choice of motor sets a limit for the upper shutter speed by mechanical means. After the limit is reached it switches to being an electronic shutter, but that obviously has limitations.
I don't know whether the E-M5 MkII uses a stepper motor. I'd be interested to know, for knowledge sake.

on flickr
Old 17th March 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
OK, here's a silly question. Can you make these adjustments on the EM1 and EM5 and if so which part of the menu please.
David.
You can on the E-M1 but not the E-M5.

For the E-M1 it's in the "cogs" E menu.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Melaka (25th April 2015)
Old 17th March 2015

Liked 356 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I agree Steve. In fact, I'm surprised given all the agro Oly received over shutter shock and the fact that their engineers now have a good handle on its cause (having fixed it via EFCS) that it's still there on the E-M5ii. It's obviously a completely new shutter (different sound, more features such as continuous AS) so I would have expected there to have been design effort to avoid the problem in the first place. OTOH, a mechanical fix (which is what is needed) would involve controlled deceleration of the blades which I guess would mean more complexity, more springs, more space, slower operation etc.
To be fair having now raised the question on here as well as mu-43 it appears that mine is an isolated case. Whilst 2 members have demonstrated shutter shock it's been nowhere near the degree of mine and fixed using AS in all shooting scenarios. To be honest, from the other examples posted I don't think I'd have noticed it, and probably put it down to user error if I did.

Of course, time will tell if mine is genuinely isolated or whether there will be a number that suffer the issue to the same degree.
Old 18th March 2015

Liked 356 Times in 94 Posts

(copy from the other threads)

Great news, my replacement arrived today and it appears to be fine. I have tested it from 1/60 to 1/320 (few jumps in between) and there's no hint of shutter shock, with and without anti-shock enabled. I don't know if it's in my head, but I'm sure the shutter actually sounds slightly different

Anyway, all appears fine (fingers crossed) so a pleasing outcome
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bikie John (18th March 2015), Ralph Harwood (18th March 2015), Ross the fiddler (18th March 2015)