Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 17th September 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-5 LCD screen wobbly hinge

Hello... seems to be just me reporting issues with my E-5s... well at least I've been getting answers

This time it's the hinge that connects the LCD screen to the camera body. It's developed something of a wobble. This is the hinge that swings the screen outwards, not the hinge that swivels it up and down. It's just a small wobble but it's annoying and also I don't like to just ignore things like this in case they lead to a bigger issue. You can wobble the screen up and down and also in and out slightly and it rattles as it does so. It also wobbles and rattles if being moved while the screen is out. I have two E-5's so I can confirm that the other one definitely doesn't wobble, also I'd have noticed if it had been wobbling since I got it.

Of the two the wobbly one is the one where the hinge gets more use. It's used for a job once a week where I'm using LV, but also moving the camera around a lot (and I don't like to carry it with the screen out so the screen goes back and then out again). I wouldn't say this was heavy use though.

It definitely sounds like nothing more than a screw needing tightened, but the screw in question is inaccessible. There are a couple of screws visible on the hinge but it's neither of those as I've tried giving them both a little tighten.

This would leave the only option as sending the camera back for repair, but I don't much fancy doing this as I'll be without it for a while, it'll cost a lot of money just to send it in the post, no idea how much the repair will cost, but overall I know I'll feel like I've spent an awful lot of money, probably something like 100, just for someone to whip out a screwdriver, give it a slight twist and send it back to me. It sounds like it's come loose through use even though that use isn't heavy... screws come loose when they're constantly stressed so what if I send it back for someone to tighten, will I then have to send it back once a year?

I was hoping someone had experience with this, perhaps knew where the screw in question was.
Old 18th September 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: E-5 LCD screen wobbly hinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmphoto.co.uk View Post
Hello... seems to be just me reporting issues with my E-5s... well at least I've been getting answers

This time it's the hinge that connects the LCD screen to the camera body. It's developed something of a wobble. This is the hinge that swings the screen outwards, not the hinge that swivels it up and down. It's just a small wobble but it's annoying and also I don't like to just ignore things like this in case they lead to a bigger issue. You can wobble the screen up and down and also in and out slightly and it rattles as it does so. It also wobbles and rattles if being moved while the screen is out. I have two E-5's so I can confirm that the other one definitely doesn't wobble, also I'd have noticed if it had been wobbling since I got it.

Of the two the wobbly one is the one where the hinge gets more use. It's used for a job once a week where I'm using LV, but also moving the camera around a lot (and I don't like to carry it with the screen out so the screen goes back and then out again). I wouldn't say this was heavy use though.

It definitely sounds like nothing more than a screw needing tightened, but the screw in question is inaccessible. There are a couple of screws visible on the hinge but it's neither of those as I've tried giving them both a little tighten.

This would leave the only option as sending the camera back for repair, but I don't much fancy doing this as I'll be without it for a while, it'll cost a lot of money just to send it in the post, no idea how much the repair will cost, but overall I know I'll feel like I've spent an awful lot of money, probably something like 100, just for someone to whip out a screwdriver, give it a slight twist and send it back to me. It sounds like it's come loose through use even though that use isn't heavy... screws come loose when they're constantly stressed so what if I send it back for someone to tighten, will I then have to send it back once a year?

I was hoping someone had experience with this, perhaps knew where the screw in question was.
I think, I have seen this mentioned elsewhere and that a local dealer had a fix - have you searched E-5 posts here ?

Not sure who you bought from, but a phone call SRS or Ffordes sounds like a good idea. ? maybe they can "tell you the fix".

I do recall reading the "ONE" not having the same screen as the E-5, was due to design problems/maintenance costs

Also I think its 150 to send an E-5 out of Warranty for Service/Repair - but you do get a virtually new camera back these days

I always keep my E-5 screen facing out but with Nintendo DS Protectors on as this saves wear and tear and its ever ready hope this helps you
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 18th September 2014

Liked 846 Times in 238 Posts

It might be worth calling Luton Cameras, they have a good reputation for Olympus repairs

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 19th January 2015

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Luton cameras, easy. However I would really minimise the use of such a hinge. I barely ever twist mine.