Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 9th September 2012

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sigma 30mm f2.8 m4/3

I recently bought the Sigma 30mm lens. Marks out of ten? About 6.
The positives
-Construction reasonably solid.
-Metal lens mount.
-Nice storage case.
-f2.8 aperture.
- Acceptably sharp -but not much better than the kit lens.
- It is cheap.

The negatives
-Slow to start up- about 3 seconds on my EPL1.
-It rattles when not powered up - but this is normal.
- It is temperamental in recognising the camera- sometimes not at all sometimes for three shots, sometimes works fine. Contact cleaning has made no difference.

I am not particularly impressed with it so far, so change that score to 4.

Ken
Old 9th September 2012

Liked 101 Times in 59 Posts
Re: Sigma 30mm f2.8 m4/3

Haven't had problems with camera recognition after taking pictures with my 30mm or the 19mm. I do get a message somtimes on start up. I have narrowed it down to the fact that as the lens powers on and the focus mechanism gets power it likes the camera to be steady. I find I get the lens problem message because I'm rotating the camera up, and that causes the bit inside to move at the time it is powering on. Slow start up can be annoying, but I can work with it. I am impressed with both, mostly because of what you get for the price, I'm to cheap to get the 50mm F2 4/3 lens, and I wanted some fast primes. I use the 50mm F1.8 as well.
Old 10th September 2012

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have just tried powering the camera up with it sitting on a table - no difference. The lens seldom connects to my Panasonic G3 at all and only works with my EPL1 for short periods of about 3 minutes then refuses to focus.
The lens will be on its way back to the supplier tomorrow for a replacement.
Better luck next time??

Ken
Old 10th September 2012

Sorry to hear this. I have had no problems like that with mine...touch wood. Does seem like you got a bad one. I heard rumors about Sigma and quality control issues but I thought that was in the past. Hope you have a better experience with the replacement.
Old 10th September 2012

Liked 129 Times in 69 Posts

For what it's worth, I haven't found any issues with mine. It seems sharp enough to me.

The rattle (reminiscent of the Panasonic 14-42) is a bit offputting at first, though.
Old 10th September 2012

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

So one defective copy versus two working copies. Pretty good by Sigma standards.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Oh dear I was thinking of getting one of these.
Not sure now. In the past I have had issues with Sigma lenses, so I am doubly cautious.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have one - currently on an e p3 - and so far no problems. Although the start-up lag can be irritating you can work around this
Old 16th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of getting both the 30 and 19 as a cheap way into primes. All the reviews I 've read say the lenses are very good, but the photos that accompany these reviews are not supporting these claims very strongly. Perhaps they mean they are very good for the price... But do you think there is a reason to buy a prime lens that is not fast enough for special use and not much sharper than kit lenses? What would I be gaining? I have the Olympus 12-50 (on the G2) and it's a good lens if you avoid the 12 and 50 focal lengths.

I would be very interested in seeing pictures taken with the lens and hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2012

cnit

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55388
Here is a link to one of my albums. It has a mix of pictures taken with the E-30, and E-PL1 wih the 30mm Sigma. Any image Quality loos has to be attributed to me, I didn't think to bring the VF-2 and am not used to shooting without holding my eye to a viewfinder. I don't know what special use you are refering to. These are night shots, and I was curious to see how well the lens did. I have both Sigmas, I think they're both pretty sharp, no complaints at all with them. Remember if you get them, they do rattle and are slow to start up. Have you thought about the Oly 45mm 1.8? That to is a fine lens, better than the Sigmas, so I have heard.
Old 16th December 2012

Sorry I didn't label what pic was taken with what in the album. But I did in this thread...
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24663
Old 16th December 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnit View Post
... But do you think there is a reason to buy a prime lens that is not fast enough for special use and not much sharper than kit lenses? What would I be gaining? I have the Olympus 12-50 (on the G2) and it's a good lens if you avoid the 12 and 50 focal lengths.

I would be very interested in seeing pictures taken with the lens and hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.
I bought mine for a special use : FAST focus on small child indoors in crappy lighting while having a better aperture than my kit zoom (oh definitely not sharper, didn't expect it to be neither) and having a wider view than my mZuiko 45mm F1.8
It does the job admirably on the e-pM1 body. In casual tests it focuses even faster than my 45 wide open. Not always spot-on but I don't care.
(Edit: the only other lens hitting my special criteria is the PanaLeica 25mm F1.4 which costs more than four times the price.)

I wish it were a bit smaller, that's all really.
Old 16th December 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just seen a very happy user review this same lens on a Panny G series body and post pics in the Lumix forum, head over to see but it does sound like you have a duff one

http://www.lumixlifestyle.co.uk/foru...hp?f=13&t=3442
Old 16th December 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pvasc : Thanks for the pics I really like the colors. By "special use" I meant exactly what you demonstrated with your photos; low light or night shots. I think looking at your settings that -though we have roughly the same sensor- my G2 body lacks IS so at ISO 400 and f2.8 I wont be able to get shutter speeds for handheld photography. The 45 is a great lens from what everyone says, but I am looking for something closer to normal range so 38 and 60mm seems ok, one as a wide-ish to normal and the other as a short tele.

Ulfric M Douglas: Lol, though I don't have kids, its good to know the focusing is good enough for kids photography, since they say children running about are among the toughest subjects to get "in focus" shots

Jetset95: Sorry not a native speaker don't know what "a duff one" is , looked at the link though and the photos look good, not like the terrible CA I saw at the reviews photos, but the size is smaller so its difficult to say...

Hmmm, still not sure about the lenses, more thinking is required

Thanks to all for the useful info, it is much appreciated.
Old 17th December 2012

I had another look through my pics, I do have one at ISO 800, that got me a shutter speed of 1/100, but that's one in 45. So you would need stabilization / tripod.

I saw in your other thread you are looking for the Sigma 30mm 1.4. That might be the way to go. I hear they work well with the E-1. I'm still up in the air about this lens. I've just missed 2, (to close to Christmas to buy), at good prices. I'm thinking it would be redundant seeing I have the 30mm 2.8 lens, and am considering moving to micro 4/3.