Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 6th May 2011

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Olympus vs Panasonic colours

I'm sure this subject has been debated ad nauseam so I won't be surprised if this thread draws a blank!

I've owned various E-system cameras over the last few years since getting back into photography (only really as a fun snapper!) but since the arrival of my grandaughter I wanted something with a video capability so bought a Panasonic TZ10 and recently a G2 as I really do prefer the DSLR style with built-in viewfinder.

I'm no expert and have no real complaints over the Panny output but knowing there are other Panny users on the forum and just wondered if anybody has managed to tweak their in-camera settings to get the colours closer to that of, say, the E-620? Or is the difference simply down to in-camera processing over which there is no control?

Any comments very welcome.
Old 6th May 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Olympus vs Panasonic colours

Well, I only shoot in raw so the issue doesn't really arise. But I suspect increasing the blue contrast might bring the Panasonic closer to the Olympus.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th May 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Re: Olympus vs Panasonic colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
... if anybody has managed to tweak their in-camera settings to get the colours closer to that of, say, the E-620? ...
We have our e-600 setup for vivid pleasant colours, mostly taking pictures of the baby and sheep and horses and nice stuff.
My Lumix G1 is set up for shallow DOF and interesting artsy shots so I was never trying to get Olympus colours from it.
I use Nature(sat+2), B&W-Dynamic, Dynamic(Sat-2) with global WB:amber+3
This gives me pictures which look similar to the colours I see with my eyes when viewed on my computer monitor.
So in answering your real question : no. ... but all my cameras take lovely colour photographs.

(Out of the box my Lumix(Standard) wasn't too pleasant, but also our e-600 was too brown.)