Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 25th November 2018

Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
Re: Adobe CC updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
One think that I definitely dislike about LR printing - or possibly misunderstand - is that it only has one print setup. So if you print something one way, then go to a different file and change it, then go back to the original, you get the changed settings with the original file. it hasn't saved the setup in the catalogue. This is what Photoshop does if you don't save anything - just uses the same parameters as the previous print. But a key difference if that you can save a file and when you re-open it the settings are restored. I find this very useful for anything that is more than a 1-off print. But if LR works for you I am not going to knock it.

John

John

Perhaps I misunderstand your point. Do neither of the 2 options of :

1. Create Saved Print
2. Save User Preset

do what you want?

Flickr
Old 25th November 2018

Liked 690 Times in 465 Posts

Very possibly - I will have to check next time I'm playing. This would certainly be a help.

Thanks ... John
Old 26th November 2018

Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
One think that I definitely dislike about LR printing - or possibly misunderstand - is that it only has one print setup. So if you print something one way, then go to a different file and change it, then go back to the original, you get the changed settings with the original file. it hasn't saved the setup in the catalogue.
The way to achieve what you want is to define User Templates in the Print module. Each template saves all the settings used... paper size, paper profile, colour management settings, page layout etc.

Quote:
So I have concluded that the advice to re-profile every week is bunk!
John
I use X-Rite calibration tools and re-calibrate every four weeks usually, but I often don't bother when I'm not printing for a while. Like you, I've also observed very little change even over several years. It does mean that I don't worry if I have to create a print in a hurry when the calibration period has expired.
Old 26th November 2018

Liked 461 Times in 216 Posts

Is it just me or have Photoshop selections gotten easier/more accurate since I last tried. In the past, I gave up because of the difficulty of the selections themselves and the common halo effect. Over the past week, combining quick select and magic wand proved fairly trivial (and no halos that I can detect, yet).
Old 26th November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Is it just me or have Photoshop selections gotten easier/more accurate since I last tried. In the past, I gave up because of the difficulty of the selections themselves and the common halo effect. Over the past week, combining quick select and magic wand proved fairly trivial (and no halos that I can detect, yet).
I think selection in general is one of the areas that they have out a lot of work into. Heavyweight tools like "Select and Mask..." have got pretty sophisticated, and they may also have improved the simpler ones at the same time.

Recently a friend and I had a fun session cutting stuff out of the background of a sports photo he had taken. I am quite sure I would never have got anything like as good results a few years back - although whether that is down to me or Photoshop getting better is debatable. A bit of both I suspect.

John
Old 26th November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
The way to achieve what you want is to define User Templates in the Print module. Each template saves all the settings used... paper size, paper profile, colour management settings, page layout etc.
Thanks Steve, all useful suggestions. I must look more closely. I got frustrated by LR printing several versions ago and stopped looking at it closely.

John