Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,775 Times in 1,066 Posts
Re: The Photography Show - free entry for some

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
FWIW Iíve worked on trade exhibitions in the past. The organisers charge hefty fees for space by promising a desirable audience. In this case I imagine pro photographers with deep pockets. Window shoppers and consumers are less attractive as they take up your time but donít spend much money.
We successfully got all our money back for a trade show where the organisers failed to deliver the audience they promised. It still cost us dear in wasted time and incidental expenses.

The cost of attending a show is very significant - even bringing your own stand and erecting it yourselves means an extra day of several staff. Then you have to cover the stand all day and feed transport and accommodate everyone.
I was typically on duty on my feet from 8-6 every day with a couple of quick breaks. Itís not a lot of fun. I once went all the way to LA and didnít get time off the stand to attend a single presentation
I now do one conference a year while youíre still on duty from breakfast to bed time you get to enjoy the presentations and our clients get bought a fancy dinner which we attend too
Have been to a few trade shows in my time, mostly at the NEC. Most were strictly trade only, but they allowed engineering students as well. Not having Joe Public around allowed space and time to discuss things with the exhibitors. Basically you only went to such events if you had a project in mind and wanted to discuss the application with the manufacturers rep.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,704 Times in 1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I shall be taking a couple of cameras for cleaning - typically how long does it take or does one handover the kit and then go off and collect them at the end of the day?
Kinda depends where you are in the queue. Last show I made a point of getting there ASAP. I was 5th in line I think, and I had the camera back in about three hours or so. If you drop it later it will take longer, but they give you an idea how long it will take.

My Flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Grumpy Member

Liked 526 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I found out on Tuesday that if you help run a photography club and you hold a position such as Chairman/Vice, Secretary, Programme Secretary, Competition Secretary, or Treasurer, you can get a free ticket for the show.
When you book, just select Other and then add the necessary details on the next page. The organisers will check your details against your club's website and if they are happy, you get a link to the ticket.
Doesn't work if you are a humble Committee Member though.......
I got mine confirmed and I am very happy. An extra tenner to spend.....
Curses. I clearly should be more diligent as I'm Publicity and Exhibition Sec. for my club. Next year then as I've long since bought tickets for this year.

Hec
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts

Maybe if the people who run the show stopped giving freebie entrance tickets out to so called "Pros" and people who aren't really entitled to them, they could provide cheaper prices for the exhibitors and put on a better all round show ?

Darkroom