Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st October 2018

Liked 1,693 Times in 1,152 Posts
Re: BMW drivers won't like this - or maybe they won't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post

- They are not all driven by arrogant sh1ts - that's what they make Audis for
It used to be the other way round.

Quote:
Interestingly, this is a blue that BMW call "Estoril Blue". It's a very tricky colour to represent accurately in photographs. In this case the E-M1ii nailed it perfectly.
Blues are often difficult to reproduce photographically. The appearance of blues tends to be very dependent on the amount of infra red light reflected; which is why phone cameras and others with poor or non-existent infra red filtration often reproduce blues badly.

Blues also tend to lose gloss and chalk sooner than most other shades (with the notable exception of reds). The reasons for this are not entirely clear but absorption of and reaction with ultraviolet light is one very good reason.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st October 2018

Liked 762 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Yeah - it's the 335i. Not hugely economical but it's just such a nice sound! My annual mileage isn't too high these days so I'm OK with it.
Very nice Paul, a straight six is a lovely sound, especially a petrol.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 1st October 2018

Liked 1,693 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Blues are often difficult to reproduce photographically. The appearance of blues tends to be very dependent on the amount of infra red light reflected; which is why phone cameras and others with poor or non-existent infra red filtration often reproduce blues badly.
To add to the above, it is interesting to shine the TV remote at your camera to test whether and how it 'sees' the flashes of infra red light given off.

My phone camera sees the light from our zapper as a bright green, rather like night vision glasses, whereas my EM's see it as pink. This obviously affects how colours are reproduced where infra red light is involved.

Standard colour cabinets (used for colour matching) include IR and UV lamps. We cannot see the light these lamps give off but it has a significant effect on our perception of colours.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st October 2018

Liked 1,040 Times in 583 Posts

Mine's a 2011 Space Grey 330D M-sport Touring, which I prefer driving to photographing...

My third M-sport BMW, all bought second-hand at 3-5 years of age and kept for 5-6+ years. I love the taut, high-castor feel of the steering and the superb seats, which are BMW characteristics. I know it's risking catastrophe saying this, but beyond routine service replacements & the occasional blown bulb I've never had anything more serious go wrong with any of them beyond a failed headlamp washer.

Comparable Mercs are soft as saggy old armchairs while the Audis are rock hard and aggravate my lumbar discs. I tried hard to like a Jag last time, but it actually broke down on my test drive.

Very sensible collection of vehicles owned up to so far by forum members.

However, I'm sure that tired old BMW no-indicator line will get spun many more times yet. About time for something more original IMHO

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (1st October 2018), Zuiko (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 1,997 Times in 1,018 Posts

Something about German cars...……….

Did have a 5 cylinder petrol Audi Quattro many years ago. Went like the wind, but the door handles kept falling off...…………

Perversely tend to go with Jap cars now...…….

My Flickr
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 294 Times in 203 Posts

BMW indicators? Here’s my take:

I’ve owned two new Minis in recent years and the indicator stalk / function is totally different to any other car I have ever driven (many company cars, lots of high mileages)
There is a click stop /detent position but it’s not as obvious as any others and there is a tendency to manually cancel the indicator as a result, this often has the effect of causing it to indicate the other way, so you manually cancel and guess what! (The process restarts) Hence I can see why a driver would find it easier to not indicate rather than suffer the alternative. Maybe it’s just Minis but it’s certainly a pain and like I said, different to any other car I’ve owned/driven. Be interesting to hear from ‘proper’ BMW drivers.
Old 2nd October 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,982 Times in 2,319 Posts
Liked 3,988 Times in 1,880 Posts

Quote:
Here's a pic of my car. E-M1ii + 40-150.

What's more:

- The indicators work
- My wife is neither blonde nor wears sunglasses 24/7
- The seats are comfortable
- All bulbs work
- I'm not (overly) arrogant
- The SatNav works
- I don't always know where I'm going

I've had lots of cars over the years (many company cars) and have driven most brands. This is my fourth BMW. I like them because:

- They are not expensive as a total ownership package. Servicing is very reasonable
- They have great engines - almost the last manufacturer making 6-cyl petrol engines. The last doing straight sixes
- They are rear wheel drive and handle well as a driver's car
- They are reliable (in my experience)
- They are nicely equipped and well screwed together
- There is a good network of dealerships, most of which know what they're doing
- They don't cheat on diesel emissions
- They are not French
- They are not all driven by arrogant sh1ts - that's what they make Audis for
Sorry Paul, I knew I would offend someone but I just couldn't resist!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 1,040 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
BMW indicators? Here’s my take:

I’ve owned two new Minis in recent years and the indicator stalk / function is totally different to any other car I have ever driven (many company cars, lots of high mileages)
There is a click stop /detent position but it’s not as obvious as any others and there is a tendency to manually cancel the indicator as a result, this often has the effect of causing it to indicate the other way, so you manually cancel and guess what! (The process restarts) Hence I can see why a driver would find it easier to not indicate rather than suffer the alternative. Maybe it’s just Minis but it’s certainly a pain and like I said, different to any other car I’ve owned/driven. Be interesting to hear from ‘proper’ BMW drivers.
Interesting.
I've driven a couple of hire-car Minis, and they just felt like smaller versions of the 3-series (I did find them very joggly on poor roads, though).

Maybe because I've owned 3 consecutively for c. 16 years and they share a strong family resemblance throughout, I've never had that problem. I guess I've just got used to it.

About the only indicator issue I can report is that sometimes it feels as though the auto-cancelling needs a big corrective turn of the wheel to be triggered, so the indicator goes on a little longer than if I was doing it manually. This has been a common feature on my 328i, 530i and now 330D.

Returning to drive the car yesterday after 3 weeks away I've noticed the interior fan is making a slight rattle on firm braking - probably a worn bearing, although it might be an alignment problem, I suppose.
It's due for a service in November so I'll get it seen to then: so, for full disclosure, I'll have to add that to one headlamp washer failure in 16 years!

The 6-cylinder models have better reported reliability than the 4-cylinders: the smaller engines had a widely hyped problem with marginal valve gear lubrication some years ago. They rattled quietly for a couple of thousand miles, then valves suddenly started hitting pistons...

I believe these are the commonest 2-litre engines used in production saloon cars in Europe (so, no, Damien, your 3-series isn't 'exclusive', regardless of what the marketing guys try to make you believe!), so even an extremely low failure rate got tossed around the forums because it resulted in quite a few blow-ups. It's long been fixed now, of course, but like self-starting Toyotas the mud does stick for a while.

The problem was compounded because the necessary components are at the rear of the engine for some daft reason, and so curing it even at the 'slight rattle' stage was a toe-curlingly expensive, engine-out job.

Talking to my independent BMW servicing guy (I've used him for the past 16 years) he says this was almost always seen in high-mileage cars where the service intervals for oil changes had been pushed. I've never believed even top modern oils can cope with 20,000 miles between changes, and I've always had mine changed annually.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Interesting.
I've driven a couple of hire-car Minis, and they just felt like smaller versions of the 3-series (I did find them very joggly on poor roads, though).

Maybe because I've owned 3 consecutively for c. 16 years and they share a strong family resemblance throughout, I've never had that problem. I guess I've just got used to it.

About the only indicator issue I can report is that sometimes it feels as though the auto-cancelling needs a big corrective turn of the wheel to be triggered, so the indicator goes on a little longer than if I was doing it manually. This has been a common feature on my 328i, 530i and now 330D.
This. In the situation you describe I find myself (wife does it too) manually canceling what the car hasn’t and this in turn sets off the ‘indicate left -doh! indicate right - doh! doh! etc!
I’ve not got used to it in over nine years though. No other family car does it either (caveat, none are BMWs)
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 113 Times in 72 Posts

The joke used to be that Audis had no off switch for the fog lights.

Well, it actually happened to me! The switch was on the back of the main light switch, operated by a pull action. Mine became loose, so that the plunger was always in the 'on' position
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (2nd October 2018), Gate Keeper (2nd October 2018)
Old 2nd October 2018

Don’t get me started on fog lights!!

Oh, you have.

Fronts, utterly useless
Rears, only ever need to be on if you’re the last in a line of cars or obviously the only car. Turn ‘em off when you have a car behind you and you can clearly see it.

And as for the wuckfits who put ‘em on and leave ‘em on even if the fog they’ve driven through is in fact some idiot vaping by the roadside........
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 2,286 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote:
Here's a pic of my car. E-M1ii + 40-150.
You kept the licence plate sharp. You do realise that "BMW" stands for "break my windows"?

Harold
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 2,286 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Something about German cars...……….

Did have a 5 cylinder petrol Audi Quattro many years ago. Went like the wind, but the door handles kept falling off...…………
You were supposed to keep them highly polished to reduce drag.

Harold
Old 2nd October 2018

Liked 324 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
I admit to having an (old) Audi too
BMW/Audi Germany reliability. A mate drives an M4 and I can remember when he was a kid, he had to be the first one through the farm gate on his tricycle. I guess he has never stopped loving the speed

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

If you are reading this, it is because you are on my ignore list
Old 2nd October 2018

Thanked 1,044 Times in 647 Posts
Liked 1,259 Times in 601 Posts

My only comment with regards to German cars is, that I've owned two. An Opel Record when in Kuwait and a VW Golf Mk1 in the UK, both from new. Sorry to say they were the worst cars I have ever owned. They each spent more time in the garage than they did on the road.

It would be fair to say that they have obviously upped their quality with regards to build and, I can only hope their after-sales has also improved.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs