Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,047 Times in 650 Posts
Liked 1,269 Times in 609 Posts
Re: Envy of the world ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Isn’t one of the problems with most work related health insurance in the US that it stops upon retirement? Some jobs will let it continue but possibly only the more senior positions? ... Unbelievable really.
Apparently, it can also apply here in the UK.

A friend, here in Durham, in mid Sepember, almost died due to coughing and choking at his birthday party meal. A complete stranger, having a meal at another table in the restaurant, saved his life. He has since been diagnosed he has cancer of the oesophagus and will require surgery etc. At the end of this month he will be retired and the company private medical care will end and informed he will revert back to be treated under the NHS.

In fairness to the NHS, he was given 'embargo appointments' and has been through the hoops and now awaits results etc., prior to beginning treatment / surgery.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 308 Times in 211 Posts

It might be possible to continue with the private care, certainly worth him checking with both his employer and the provider, or even a union if he’s a member. Obviously it will cost but worth considering perhaps, given the circumstances.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,364 Times in 1,323 Posts
Liked 3,267 Times in 1,526 Posts

According to a US based study, Australia comes in second after UK.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...-world/8716326
Oddly enough, WHO doesn't give us a mention - so much for WHO ... :shrug:
Other studies rank France #1.
I can't complain, as an age pensioner, free hearing aids and service, free dental, all Australian citizens are entitled to free medical and public hospital care where you may not be on the books for too long! (private health cover provides members with a private hospital care and choice of doctor, etc.}
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Apparently, it can also apply here in the UK.

A friend, here in Durham, in mid Sepember, almost died due to coughing and choking at his birthday party meal. A complete stranger, having a meal at another table in the restaurant, saved his life. He has since been diagnosed he has cancer of the oesophagus and will require surgery etc. At the end of this month he will be retired and the company private medical care will end and informed he will revert back to be treated under the NHS.

In fairness to the NHS, he was given 'embargo appointments' and has been through the hoops and now awaits results etc., prior to beginning treatment / surgery.
I would like the NHS to be a model envied throughout the world.

Your friend......Cancer diagnosis and treatment is a priority in the NHS and it is fast tracked. I realise it is a difficult and very stressful time for him, but if he wants to keep his private health cover.

He should make the change now and inform the insurance company before they terminate the policy. He can ring them or if he is too ill, a nominated relative can do this for him.

His premiums could go up according to his age and medical history. If he has a break from the insurance, he could find it difficult to get the cover he needs. Insurance companies don’t like breaks, they like continuity. They can charge high premiums for taking the risk with age and history.

I write from experience. I am 63 and living abroad in a 3rd world country, I have to pay a well known private health care scheme for the past 10+ years and so I have some insight into how they work. It’s all about getting the right cover and there are various levels of cover and ways of reducing premiums he can discuss with them. What shocking news he has Cancer of the Oesophagus, a difficult time for everyone.

The thing with private health care, one has no cancellations and treatment is with top consultants, some treatments and drugs are available to subscribers and not available to NHS users. Some companies will pay for experimental treatments and some won’t.

On Tuesday, I am seeing a vascular surgeon privately in an NHS London hospital. Half the fee will go to him and the other half will go to the NHS. In August I would have liked to have bought a Panasonic 100-400, but I had pay a health insurance premium of mega bucks instead and as health comes first, I have had to put the Panasonic on a wish list.

Getting back to your friend, let’s hope the cancer has not spread, the diagnosis has been caught in time for him to start treatment and that he does well.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

If you are reading this, it is because you are on my ignore list