Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 1st February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Leica Elmar-r 100mm

AFAIK, I'm up to date with flash etc - and I've tried opening the youtube link in other browsers, and all look very strange - too quick, and lowish resolution (by todays standards anyway) - I think the footage is 480p - but I'm viewing on a high resolution monitor - so it's maybe showing up the shortcomings of the footage more than otherwise might happen. The video says it's a "time lapse" - so maybe the basic frame rate of the movie is quite low - like time lapse kind of is - but because of that, the footage when played back at a usual rate, seems sped up - certainly it feels much more normal when played at half speed.
Old 1st February 2017

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
AFAIK, I'm up to date with flash etc - and I've tried opening the youtube link in other browsers, and all look very strange - too quick, and lowish resolution (by todays standards anyway) - I think the footage is 480p - but I'm viewing on a high resolution monitor - so it's maybe showing up the shortcomings of the footage more than otherwise might happen. The video says it's a "time lapse" - so maybe the basic frame rate of the movie is quite low - like time lapse kind of is - but because of that, the footage when played back at a usual rate, seems sped up - certainly it feels much more normal when played at half speed.
My screen is currently 1920 x 1080 and I view via Google Chrome.

Harold
Old 1st February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine is 2560 x 1440 - so a bit higher res.
It tends to be quite unforgiving with low res images etc, as run of the mill web page images end up looking quite pixelated as they're stretched to fit the larger screen size...
So - 480p doesn't look that great...
Old 1st February 2017

Quote:
Mine is 2560 x 1440 - so a bit higher res.
It tends to be quite unforgiving with low res images etc, as run of the mill web page images end up looking quite pixelated as they're stretched to fit the larger screen size...
So - 480p doesn't look that great...
Would it be worth reducing it for this purpose (in Settings)?

Harold
Old 1st February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure - it is what it is though. It's helping in some respects - as in the lens looks similar to mine - so similar method may be applied - but the footage is only so handy, as it isn't a complete walkthrough of what's being done and why.

I mean - I could jump in with two feet, attack any ring with notches and get them loosened off - but is there an issue that may require me to get out the Vernier gauge like the guy in the video does?
And if so, what do I do with it?
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I've only just fixed it

So - it turns out that when the name ring is loosened, indeed the area with the notches immediately underneath - that is a locking ring which secures the focussing mechanism - ie it enables the lens to focus when it turns - it was a b**ger to loosen but I referred back to the german site which said that this ring is only hand tight. I failed to believe that to begin with, but when I absently tried to turn it, it finally went. What followed was a lot of trying things out - when the locking ring is loose, the barrell will turn, but it won't focus as though the helicoid turns, the lenses don't change postition - when the locking ring is tightened, then the lenses move - So - I've now got infinity focus
Old 2nd February 2017

Quote:
Well, I've only just fixed it

So - it turns out that when the name ring is loosened, indeed the area with the notches immediately underneath - that is a locking ring which secures the focussing mechanism - ie it enables the lens to focus when it turns - it was a b**ger to loosen but I referred back to the german site which said that this ring is only hand tight. I failed to believe that to begin with, but when I absently tried to turn it, it finally went. What followed was a lot of trying things out - when the locking ring is loose, the barrell will turn, but it won't focus as though the helicoid turns, the lenses don't change postition - when the locking ring is tightened, then the lenses move - So - I've now got infinity focus
Brilliant! Amazing what you can do when you have courage. Give this man a medal!

Isn't it rewarding, in the end? I'm so pleased for you.

Harold
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very rewarding. And in theory I'm up 120 if you think I'd have had to send it to get fixed. Really - if you know what you are doing, that could have been 120 for all of 5 mins work...
Old 2nd February 2017

Quote:
Very rewarding. And in theory I'm up 120 if you think I'd have had to send it to get fixed. Really - if you know what you are doing, that could have been 120 for all of 5 mins work...
Thinking of turning pro? Easy money!

Harold