Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 361 Times in 252 Posts
Re: How does one do Smartphone?

I saw the Plusnet advert on TV last night (damn, I hate having to watch adverts!!) and the offer looks good. Plusnet are, I’m sure owned by BT, so not on some shonky network (Not actually sure where BT sits though but it’s not O2)
I agree with the monthly contract idea, my Tesco one is monthly. Only problem with the idea of trying various ones out is you’re limited to the number of times you can move your number so if your wanting to keep that number maybe try with the number the sim comes with and PAC your number over once you’ve found a suitable network and contract.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 569 Times in 372 Posts

BT uses the EE network (in fact I believe it owns EE now). The network was never my problem with EE, it was their hopeless web site and lousy customer service! To their credit though they did organise a PAC code quickly and my number was transferred to BT in under 24 hours.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
I'll stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure that O2 offer the best deals for your requirements.

Have a look HERE and sort by lowest price.
Personally, if you're not really sure what are your needs, I'd go for a monthly contract, rather than getting tied into a 12 month one.
That way, you can change to something more suitable without penalty.
I should add that the o2 classic pay as you go isn't a monthly or 12 monthly plan.
Just stick credit on if and when you need it, hence the classic PAYG name I suspect
Never fancied any sort of contract myself, takes me ages to spend a tenner's worth of credit
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
I'll stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure that O2 offer the best deals for your requirements.

Have a look HERE and sort by lowest price.
Personally, if you're not really sure what are your needs, I'd go for a monthly contract, rather than getting tied into a 12 month one.
That way, you can change to something more suitable without penalty.

Plusnet doesn't look too bad price wise, though clearly I don't know your requirements.

You will need the PAC number from your current supplier to port your number over to the new SIM card.
What I am minded to do is to buy a new phone sim free and for any network.

Until I have a few months usage, I will have no idea what my usage will be, so I want a classic PAYG arrangement where I pay in some money up front and top it up when it gets used, so no fixed monthly payments. I understood O2 offer that.

I have that arrangement with Virgin for my current GSM phone, but they do not offer it for smartphones, pity as I have about £20 in their coffers.

I see that some mobiles can have dual SIMs. Does this mean it could be possible to have a new SIM for new phone, plus my old SIM running GSM and having my existing number?

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
What I am minded to do is to buy a new phone sim free and for any network.

Until I have a few months usage, I will have no idea what my usage will be, so I want a classic PAYG arrangement where I pay in some money up front and top it up when it gets used, so no fixed monthly payments. I understood O2 offer that.

I have that arrangement with Virgin for my current GSM phone, but they do not offer it for smartphones, pity as I have about £20 in their coffers.

I see that some mobiles can have dual SIMs. Does this mean it could be possible to have a new SIM for new phone, plus my old SIM running GSM and having my existing number?
That's what I did, im happy with the old style payg arrangement that's why the O2 classic suits me fine
I bought a locked to O2 phone because they had a special edition Blue Moto G5 for thirty quid less than anywhere else.
Your old sim card might not even fit in a new phone, mine didn't so got a new one with new number too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 434 Times in 308 Posts

I am confused you use the term GSM - is that for use in the UK, if so I would have thought you could get a new SIM from Virgin for your new phone using the telephone number of your GSM phone.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,119 Times in 765 Posts

Dual SIM phones have 2 slots for cards. On is for your "main" SIM and will run 2G/E/3G/H/4G depending on what you have signed up for and how strong the signal is. The other card slot will either take a micro SD card for data storage (eg for camera/video capture, music and video playback) OR a 2nd SIM - but not both. The 2nd SIM slot is usually restricted to 2G and hence the use of the term GSM, the proper name for the internationl standard for 2nd generation (2G) phone connectivity which replaced the 1st standard (analog connectivity). The GSM standard grew to encompass GPRS data handling. This was superceded by Edge (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) - think of this as 2.5G, then by 3G (3rd Generation or UTMS) later enhanced by High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA)/High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) - think 3.5G, and 4G (4th generation, properly known as LTE). Of course 5G (5th generation) will be coming to a mast near you very soon.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,058 Times in 525 Posts

I read this thread and I am surprised a little at what people say.
The smartphone market is so confusing and is not really novice user friendly, more targeted at teens + dare I say.

This post is meant to be helpful and NOT critical in any way. But :

Dare I ask this basic question? Why do you think you want one ?

Write down what exactly you want from your new phone. Seriously write it down on a piece of paper.

You say you make few calls and get or send the occasional text message. Same as I do these days.

Do you want a small and easy to use basic camera ? then a smart phone is more than able to do that.

Or do you simply want use the phone apps that track everything you do? - probably not?

Or do you want use it to log in to this website to post your latest pics and comments and to replace your desktop PC? Again a phone can do that.

I really don't need or want one these days I like my keyboard and using my thumb to type is a real pain. But whatever "floats your boat" as they say.

The technicalities around dual SIM , multi processor etc etc, are just marketing speak. If you are not a real power user, which 95% of the population are not then don't even go there.

My Flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Having access to the internet to get information is why I have a smartt phone, plus calender and contact info plus access to maps.
Jim Ford (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 475 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I read this thread and I am surprised a little at what people say.
The smartphone market is so confusing and is not really novice user friendly, more targeted at teens + dare I say....
Can't agree to that as my 86 year young mom uses it to video chat with my sis in UK.

I keep tab on her via find my phone, She also shows me her marketing or foods. Yes, she uses that camera. Also her hearing aid is Bluetooth linked to her phone.

AND yes, it's an iPhone.

She also reads the news on it, Stalk us (children & grandchildren). She says games are a waste of time..but her sister (80 year young) is trying to teach her Candycrush, Sudoku and Solitare.

All my garbage so far.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (2 Weeks Ago), Jim Ford (2 Weeks Ago), TimP (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I’m with blu-by-u here, disagree about complexity and target market. My wife is a classic example of someone who didn’t want a mobile phone at all, I gave her my old iPhone and she won’t be parted from it now. Same with her iPad.
What do I use a smartphone for? Camera ( always in my pocket), email, text, phone, sat nav, all my music (in car), record fuel usage, monitor solar panels, monitor room temps, set central heating if away ( brilliant if returning from a holiday in winter), weather, news, card game, bird ID, tide tables, voice memo, pay for stuff (Apple pay)....... masses of things!

I think a lot of uses can’t easily be predicted, they kinda creep up on you over time.

But hey, it’s up to you, do what you want or can afford. We’re all different and what works for some doesn’t work for others.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Can't agree to that as my 86 year young mom uses it to video chat with my sis in UK.

I keep tab on her via find my phone, She also shows me her marketing or foods. Yes, she uses that camera. Also her hearing aid is Bluetooth linked to her phone.

AND yes, it's an iPhone
My 89 yr old Mum uses an old iPhone, only for calls and text but she couldnít ever get on with predictive text or the alternative on a standard mobile so an underutilized iPhone is perfect. She does have to keep on top of the charging though as the battery is getting past its best now.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 569 Times in 372 Posts

Nobody gets on with predictive text. Did you hear its inventor died recently? His funfair will be hello on Sundial.

Smartphones are better at it than the old basic phones though, and they learn words and phrases you use frequently which can be helpful.
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The smart phone and the tablet has helped older people get into the coms world whereas they could not get into the use of a desktop or laptop computer.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Stock Shooter

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

I did some exploratory phone shop browsing today.

The only place I found offering unlocked SIM free phones was Carphone Warehouse.

I had to rush away to meet someone, so I did not have time to conclude a deal.

I do not know how long Black Friday will continue, but two phones looked "possible" to me:

Sony Xperia XZ1 at £199, and iPhone 6s at £299.

Any comments on these please?

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses