Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 12th May 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts
Re: have you ever been tempted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryE-1 View Post
If you rely on your chosen camera system to earn a living, but consistently find that your images are not satisfying your clients, then you would need to switch to a system that does satisfy them. The national press and sports syndicates use Canon/Nikon with fast lenses as they have to deliver images in any situation and weather (often in very low light and pouring rain) Olympus cannot match the D3 or 1Dmk4 at high iso but the E-3 and pro Zuikos are every bit as resistant to inclement weather.

If you really need to churn out billboard sized photos for ad agencies then a medium format system with a digital back would be standard equipment.

For every other non-professional use I cannot see much difference between any of the major manufacturers' offerings; it's basically a matter of personal preference. None of them produce bad cameras.
Jerry.
Well said, Jerry. All too often when choosing a camera far too much emphasis is placed on technical spec and test results with handling, and how the camera personally suits the photographer, being virtually overlooked.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th May 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Yes, only because of full frame loveliness - not because of name. If Oly made a larger sensor camera, I'd stick with them absolutely.

The thing is, when you or I play our fav music, whatever gnre that is, we listen to the wonderfully rich and colorful music of the orchestra, the big full sounds of togetherness from the band, perhaps for the message the composer was trying to bring across. Many canikon users would talk about the mega wattage of the thermionic valves in the pre-amp, the stunning quality of the 12-band graphic equaliser display, and the signal-to-noise ratio of the sub-woofers in relation to the high frequency tweeters.

Me... I listen to the music. Get my drift. It's the output that counts.
lol well said John
Old 12th May 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for all of your replies so far. I have to admit that lately I have been contemplating moving to Nikon or Canon, all those 3rd party lenses and other bits of kit. But when it comes down to it i just cant justify the move. The oly has served me extremely well, and I think i would rather update the E520 to a E620 or E30.
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Not Nikon or Canon, but if I could afford it I would move to a M9 with 35mm 1.4 and 90mm f2 lenses in a heartbeat. Sadly this is never likely to happen as I don't have the spare cash to thow at my hobby
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've thought about both Canon (5D Mk11) and Nikon (D700) and while I wouldn't rule it out for the future, the thing that keeps me with Olympus (apart from not having massive funds to throw at camera equipment) is (1) the 4:3 aspect ratio, (2) the lenses and (3) weight.

Switching to either Canon/Nikon would lose (1) and to get (2) it would involve a huge penalty in (3) weight.

So for the present, Olympus serves me well. I once switched to Canon before buying a 1000FN because I wanted auto focus but I never really liked it as much as my OM1N.

I think the forth-coming Pentax 645 Digital will be very interesting, but that too would most likely be heavy. However, I'm thinking about a micro 4/3rd camera as a carry round to augment my E30. I don't particularly like the EVF, or rather I prefer an OVF, but if Olympus brought out a high spec model with built in flash of the size of the EPL1 and some higher quality lenses I would be very interested.

Padgreen
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Like so many other answers, size and weight are an important reason for using Olympus but better low light capabilities would be good to also have on board.

I started as a Zenith user, then Yashica, then Contax (improved version of Yashica for those not familiar with the brand), then Canon EOS 5. Loved the Canon and its eye controlled focus point selection (what happened to that idea?), hated the poor battery life, the weight, and the cost of extras.

But a bit of a flirtation with compact digital cameras lead to the need for a digital SLR, and Olympus offered the best price, weight and value. I've now gone from E-500 to E-520 and then E-30. I can carry easily 2 cameras with lenses in a small rucsac, and the doubling of focal length helps get me photos where others would struggle without major kit. I feel that I have nothing fancy, but I can get most of the photos that I want without to much opportunity for excuses!
But I still lust after other peoples camera/lens combos, and why not - but I just watch them find a reason to leave their camera at home, and remind myself, size really does matter!

But please Olympus, find a way of improving the low light capabilities, then I for one will have even less reason to lust elsewhere. Where will sensor technologies take us in the balance between size and capabilities, and what will the E-5 or its ilk bring us devotees?

Regards
Chris
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryE-1 View Post
If you rely on your chosen camera system to earn a living, but consistently find that your images are not satisfying your clients, then you would need to switch to a system that does satisfy them. The national press and sports syndicates use Canon/Nikon with fast lenses as they have to deliver images in any situation and weather (often in very low light and pouring rain) Olympus cannot match the D3 or 1Dmk4 at high iso but the E-3 and pro Zuikos are every bit as resistant to inclement weather.

If you really need to churn out billboard sized photos for ad agencies then a medium format system with a digital back would be standard equipment.

For every other non-professional use I cannot see much difference between any of the major manufacturers' offerings; it's basically a matter of personal preference. None of them produce bad cameras.

Jerry.
pretty much how I see it
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Also like others I would only switch because of full frame, at some point in the next year I will get a full frame canon or nikon, hopefully I will have the budget to keep my olympus kit, but even if I have to sell I will get a EP-2 or something.

I love my e-30 the tech in the camera still blows away a lot of the current competition and hopefully the e-5 will persude me to stay away from the dark side

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 12th May 2010

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Wasn't tempted with Nikon or Canon but I did sell up (E-510, 12-60, 50-200 and 50 f/2) and moved to Pentax for just over a year.
Pentax make great gear and I really enjoyed using my K20D followed by my K-7, however I found Pentax zooms to be quite variable in quality, even their DA* range, having to concentrate on certain apertures in certain circumstances is no fun plus the slightly lethargic autofocus system can be frustrating. I will say that their primes are very nice but prime shooting is not my cup of tea.
Ultimately I missed the sheer optical quality of my Oly Pro zooms so I moved back a couple of months ago

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 13th May 2010

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

I started out on a Kodak Instamatic and graduated via a Rollei B35 to an OM1. Then bought a couple of lenses, extension tubes and flash. Later to an OM2n. Later still I bought a whole lot more OM system lenses and then for touring on the bike an Oly 35mm compact zoom.
When I went digital in 2003 I stuck with Olympus and got a 5060 as I've always liked their design ethos. (weight, size). This was upgraded to an 8080. Finally about 5 years ago I went to DSLR. The main selling point for me was the SSWF as I didn't like the idea of grubbbing about poking the sensor. Bought an E-500 with kit lenses and 2 years ago bought the E-3 with 12-60, HLD-1 and FL50R as a kit from WHXP. Shortly I intend to buy another lens.
Its a slow process building up a collection.

I no longer have the Instamatic but I do have all the rest and they all still work.

So I suppose, no, I've not been tempted.

If I won the lottery there are a couple of nice 'wee' Hasselblads and Leicas out there I fancy but only after I had dipped into the selection of Olympus stuff.