Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 20th January 2010

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: CF Card query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If you format the card then inspect its capacity using a PC, what does it say? I've picked a formatted card at random from my collection (4GB) and on an E-30 it says 288 RAW frames capacity and on the PC it says 3.91GB free, or 4,201,971,712 bytes free.

I ask this because if the card has bad sectors, a chunk of the card's memory might have been mapped out.

Is the card's format reported as FAT32?

Ian
Thanks for replying Ian.

I have checked the 4Gb card using H2TESTW and it reported no errors.
I have checked the 8Gb card again using explorer. It is reporting 7.46Gb free (8,012,957,304 bytes) and 32,768 bytes used. The same amount of used space is shown on the 4Gb card. I have confirmed that the cards are formatted for FAT32. The allocation unit size when formatting on the PC is 32kb (32,768 bytes)

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 20th January 2010

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
I have a feeling that this started when I went for the higher capacity 100Mb/s cards. I wonder if there is a glitch in the camera firmware that is triggered in some way by using this type of card. The firmware between models is unlikely to have changed in the file handling routines and therefore would be a common factor to explore. I shall be letting Oly know whatever the outcome.
I don't think I can tie my experience to a faster card. I use Sandisk III cards in 2 and 4Mb and two of the latter are the 30Mps version. However I always have a 2Mb XD card in my cameras as a backup. With my E3 I was getting the same reading on both cards when I switched from one to t'other. It is this which leads me to believe it is mainly a camera problem. Shooting off enough frames to run the count down to zero and then reformatting in camera solved the problem for me.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 20th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
I don't think I can tie my experience to a faster card. I use Sandisk III cards in 2 and 4Mb and two of the latter are the 30Mps version. However I always have a 2Mb XD card in my cameras as a backup. With my E3 I was getting the same reading on both cards when I switched from one to t'other. It is this which leads me to believe it is mainly a camera problem. Shooting off enough frames to run the count down to zero and then reformatting in camera solved the problem for me.
Thanks David.

I shall try that out when the weather improves though as I want to get something from the task in case it fails. There is a great deal of similarity in symptoms to those you experienced. I shall remain positive

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Its been a week now, has our well intentioned advice inadvertently bricked Peters camera?

Is/was the solution totally different?

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 1st February 2010

Thumbs up Re: CF Card query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Its been a week now, has our well intentioned advice inadvertently bricked Peters camera?

Is/was the solution totally different?

Nick
Nick,

This afternoon I went out to take the remaining 50 exposures. Shot them all off and got the zero images left display. Erased the images with my fingers crossed and found I had 462 images available on the card. Whilst I am obviously happy, and grateful for your advice, I am not at all pleased with this fault condition
I shall be writing to Olympus about this and also say that I am not alone in experiencing this problem. I hope that they will be able to provide an explanation and also a fix. Remember, my E500 has exactly the same fault but I have not yet taken the counter to zero on that camera.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 1st February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Nick,

This afternoon I went out to take the remaining 50 exposures. Shot them all off and got the zero images left display. Erased the images with my fingers crossed and found I had 462 images available on the card. Whilst I am obviously happy, and grateful for your advice, I am not at all pleased with this fault condition
I shall be writing to Olympus about this and also say that I am not alone in experiencing this problem. I hope that they will be able to provide an explanation and also a fix. Remember, my E500 has exactly the same fault but I have not yet taken the counter to zero on that camera.
Well it's good news that the E-3 is behaving itself again, hopefully the E-500 will chose to follow suit.

You are right this needs to be raised with Olympus, I hope you will keep us informed as to the response.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 2nd February 2010

Thumbs up SOLVED: CF Card query

Hi all,

Just had a discussion with Olympus Support and I have been given a solution to this problem that does NOT need you to fire off all shots until the counter returns to zero.

I have not had an explanation as to why the cameras behave this way but at least we now have a way forward. If your counter sticks and continues to decrease as they have in both my E3 and E500, carry out the following-

E500 :- Menu/spanner2/FileName/RESET

E3 :- Menu/spanner 1/spanner h/File Name/RESET

Ian
Please could you arrange that this is added to the site faq. It would seem to be applicable to the E3 and E500 but I guess to all of the E series. It has also affected other members.

I have asked Olympus Support to look into this and perhaps put some guidelines out themselves.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 2nd February 2010

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

If you've set your own file names (as I do for the first two digits) will they have to be reset as well I wonder.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 3rd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
If you've set your own file names (as I do for the first two digits) will they have to be reset as well I wonder.
Hi David,

I guess you would have to set up the file naming again following the reset. Olympus should look again at this issue as it seems to be a problem across the whole E series of cameras. The 'fix' I posted will at least quickly change things to allow normal operation again. It is really frustrating when the camera decides to go in count-down mode regardless of the which card is inserted and whatever size the card is

I shall let you know if I hear any more about this fault.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/