Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 19th January 2010

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
CF Card query

I recently bought two Kingston CF cards: 4Gb 133x and 8Gb 133x. The former was fitted to my E500 and the latter to my E3.

The above info might just be a coincidence but I mention it just in case.

I have found that the camera image count has been decreasing and, although I delete images I have taken, the number of images available to be saved does not increase back to the full capacity of a blank CF card. It in fact stays at the capacity BEFORE deletion

I have re-formatted the cards and still no change. Reformatted on the computer (FAT32) and still no change.

Checked with Oly Technical support and went through the same checks and also re-set the camera (E3 only at this stage). I changed the resolution from RAW to jpg and still no change in the number of exposures available. This seems to point to a camera problem but the same issue is seen on BOTH cameras which is unusual. Checked both cameras for pin alighnment in the CF slot - no problems. Checked the CF card for errors using the computer - no problems.

Just to gain confidence (in something!) I fitted the original cards to the cameras (both 4Gb) but found the problem persists. Fitted a 1Gb card to the E3 and found that swapping to jpg does increase the available image count but only to the maximum I get with the other cards.

Am I missing something? It is unlikely both cameras are faulty and it is unlikely all five cards are faulty.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: CF Card query

Do you get the expected full capacity after formatting either in camera or in PC? A useful utility for testing cards (or any other storage device for that matter) is H2TESTW which you can download for free. At least you'll be able to see if the problem is with the cards.
Old 19th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
Do you get the expected full capacity after formatting either in camera or in PC? A useful utility for testing cards (or any other storage device for that matter) is H2TESTW which you can download for free. At least you'll be able to see if the problem is with the cards.
When formatting the cards the PC says full capacity is available. When formatting in the camera It remains stuck at the number of images after the last shoot. It is always reducing and soon I shall not be able to take any images on ANY card.

I used the memory check program in Windows 7 and it reported no errors found. I shall download the suggested program and try it but I suspect it too will say nothing is wrong.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That points to a camera fault - except you wouldn't expect to suddenly find it on both cameras. Very weird indeed!
Old 19th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
That points to a camera fault - except you wouldn't expect to suddenly find it on both cameras. Very weird indeed!
Thanks Paul. I have downloaded the program you suggested and it is now running on my Laptop (Vista operating system).

You have come to the same conclusions I have but, I will try anything and will let you know the outcome.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Peter

Have you reviewed this thread http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6906.

The resolution seemed to be to force the camera to recalculate available space which it only does when down to very low number of images available (10 or so). But....???

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Peter

Have you reviewed this thread http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6906.

The resolution seemed to be to force the camera to recalculate available space which it only does when down to very low number of images available (10 or so). But....???

Nick
As the originator of that particular thread I'm happy to say the problem has not recurred and my E3 still gets the frame count right. I can only suggest doing what I did. It might be worth speaking to Oly as this does seem to be more of a camera problem than a card one and it's more than just a one off.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 19th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Peter

Nick
Thanks Nick - I had completely forgotten about this posting even though I had replied to it. My last comment becomes even more relevant. How about having a sticky to the camera postings to act as a FAQ section Ian.

I am in the process of checking one of the cards out using the program suggested earlier. After that I might well try the other suggested solution. If that is the way forward then it looks as though a firmware fix is URGENTLY required in the cameras.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
As the originator of that particular thread I'm happy to say the problem has not recurred and my E3 still gets the frame count right. I can only suggest doing what I did. It might be worth speaking to Oly as this does seem to be more of a camera problem than a card one and it's more than just a one off.
Thanks David. I have to agree wholeheartedly with you. I have spoken to Oly before posting this issue and they were puzzled and suggested I send the camera for repair.........that was until I told them that the E500 was behaving the same way.

I have a feeling that this started when I went for the higher capacity 100Mb/s cards. I wonder if there is a glitch in the camera firmware that is triggered in some way by using this type of card. The firmware between models is unlikely to have changed in the file handling routines and therefore would be a common factor to explore. I shall be letting Oly know whatever the outcome.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Latest Update

Testing complete with no errors founf on the CF Card using H2TESTW.

Bearing in mind the latest comments, rather than deleting all the files I loaded the card in the E3. It reported the card was full - good news. I re-formatted the card in the E3 and it came up with 133 images available for a 4Mb card!! That was in RAW. Changed to MN and the capacity remained at 133 .

Time to put on the thinking cap again

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm not sure that the camera will have recalculated the space available in the same way as it is forced to do when the count gets low in shooting. That calculation route through the code seems to be only triggerred by the 'low remaining' criteria - otherwise the camera works on a stored value (presumably to reduce processor load).

But that's only supposition, as we can't see the code or the various stored values.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 19th January 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Latest Update

Testing complete with no errors founf on the CF Card using H2TESTW.

Bearing in mind the latest comments, rather than deleting all the files I loaded the card in the E3. It reported the card was full - good news. I re-formatted the card in the E3 and it came up with 133 images available for a 4Mb card!! That was in RAW. Changed to MN and the capacity remained at 133 .

Time to put on the thinking cap again
Sorry you got the wrong result. But it's worth hanging on to h2testw as you can check any new cards you buy as well as USB pens, especially as there seem to be so many dodgy ones about these days.
Old 19th January 2010
Rod Souter

Peter,
I have a new 4GB Kingston x133.

I put it in my E-3 and it tells me space for 159 shots, I have the camera set to RAW+LSF.

Rod
Old 19th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post
Peter,
I have a new 4GB Kingston x133.

I put it in my E-3 and it tells me space for 159 shots, I have the camera set to RAW+LSF.

Rod
Thanks Rod.

When I first had the cards they gave me the expected number of exposures/ I shoot RAW. Now any card I put in gives me the same amount of exposures which is far fewer than expected.
I shall shoot burst tomorrow and hope that Nick's prediction comes true. If not, I will not be able to use the E3 at all.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 20th January 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

If you format the card then inspect its capacity using a PC, what does it say? I've picked a formatted card at random from my collection (4GB) and on an E-30 it says 288 RAW frames capacity and on the PC it says 3.91GB free, or 4,201,971,712 bytes free.

I ask this because if the card has bad sectors, a chunk of the card's memory might have been mapped out.

Is the card's format reported as FAT32?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com