Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 11th November 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
E3 vs E1 with ZD12 - 60

Hi All,

I'm just trying to get to grips with my E3, its a struggle after using my E510.

I admit I've not had much time shotting with the E3 even though I've owned it a good few months. I'm struggling to get monster sharp shots like I did with my old E510 and kit lens. I pretty sure its myself thats failing my E3 but I'm just needing reassurance.

I keep seeing these superb sharp shots using the E3 and ZD12 - 60 and I gotta admit I'm a little disheartened when I look at mine, I certainly don't have the skill level to use my E3 at its best, however I'm hoping time will cure that.

I'm currently trying to test both the body and lens and came up with this, compare the lens on the E1 and E3, so I've taken the shots below. Straight out the camera as JPG, I had to resize the E3 shot to kinda line up with the E1 shot.

E3 at F8 - Fl50 used.

E1 @ F8 - FL50 used.

Do these look sharp enough? Only difference apart from scale is the lush colours from the E1 shiney through.

Sorry to rabbit on, I just want to feel as happy with my E3 and 12-60 as I did with my old E510 and 14-42

Cheers
Garrie
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E3 vs E1 with ZD12 - 60

Garrie, what settings did you use on both cameras? On my monitor the E-3 looks sharper, but the E-1 definitely has better color.
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Can't see any difference in the sharpness.

On the whole I'd say the the E-1 picture was slightly underexposed, there is some noise/grain/speckling on the colours would not have been on the pen.

The E-3 is much cleaner, look at the purple and the clear tube.

The E-1 seems to be more highly saturated, partly (I think) because of the exposure, but that's really the photographers call in pp

Garrie - I really can't see (from these) the problem, sorry.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th November 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Can't see any difference in the sharpness.

On the whole I'd say the the E-1 picture was slightly underexposed, there is some noise/grain/speckling on the colours would not have been on the pen.

The E-3 is much cleaner, look at the purple and the clear tube.

The E-1 seems to be more highly saturated, partly (I think) because of the exposure, but that's really the photographers call in pp

Garrie - I really can't see (from these) the problem, sorry.

Nick
Nick, Thank you, thats all I need to know

The problem is totally me or in my head for some reason

Thanks guys for taking a look :-)

Have fun
G
Old 11th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Hi Garrie,

Just a thought, what sharpening level have you set on the E3? In-camera sharpening is noticably less aggressive on the E3 than it is on the E510.

For that reason, on my E510 I had sharpening set at -2 but find it only needs setting at -1 on the E3 to achieve the same sort of result. If you have your E3 set to the same level of sharpening as your E510 that could explain what you are experiencing.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 11th November 2009
JackBenedict

Sorry to crowd in here guys, but sharpening on the E510 - on what menu is that option ?
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBenedict View Post
Sorry to crowd in here guys, but sharpening on the E510 - on what menu is that option ?
It's in the picture mode option in Camera 1 menu - you can set a value for each of the modes - vivid, natural etc. along with contast and saturation.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 11th November 2009

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

I don't sharpen in the camera, but do it in Photoshop, because the degree of sharpening required on an image depends on the final size of the image and the media on which it is to be displayed.

Sharpening is a big subject - the late Bruce Fraser ('an internationally recognised authority on digital imaging') wrote a 288 page book on it!

Here's a good link on why sharpening is required:

http://ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm

Jim
Old 11th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

Garrie - did you sharpen after resizing? If you resize there will always be a loss of sharpness.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 11th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: E3 vs E1 with ZD12 - 60

I have to agree with Nick! I can`t see a problem, apart from number 2 looks a tad under exposed!
Old 11th November 2009
JackBenedict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
It's in the picture mode option in Camera 1 menu - you can set a value for each of the modes - vivid, natural etc. along with contast and saturation.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers Paul - Thanks for the info. I have mine set to natural,but I didn't realise you could set a value to it. I will have a look again tonight
Old 11th November 2009
gno

Hi Garrie,

I waited until I had a chance to look at the images on different monitors. I can't comment on the colours you will be the best judge of that as you have the tiles to compare with but I find the E-1 image far sharper, more so at the far end of the pen could there be some DOF at play there?
I took the liberty of sharpening both in PS and found that after sharpening the E-1 was still noticeably sharper.

Regards

Gavin
Old 12th November 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
Hi Garrie,

I waited until I had a chance to look at the images on different monitors. I can't comment on the colours you will be the best judge of that as you have the tiles to compare with but I find the E-1 image far sharper, more so at the far end of the pen could there be some DOF at play there?
I took the liberty of sharpening both in PS and found that after sharpening the E-1 was still noticeably sharper.

Regards

Gavin
But the e-3 image has been resized - and may well have lost a tad of sharpness (though I can't see it). They are both good images - though I'd favour the e-3 exposure as more true.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 12th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The point of the pen looks sharper in the picture taken with the E-3, and so does the detail/texture of the grout between the tiles. This might be because the focus in the E-1 picture is slightly different.

I know these two cameras are top of the range, but I must also admit that I know I'm not using my new E-30 properly, and probably won't have investigated everything it can do for several months. There's a heck of a difference between the old cameras and the new ones, that I think even the most technically minded gets a bit stuck.
Old 12th November 2009
gno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
The point of the pen looks sharper in the picture taken with the E-3, and so does the detail/texture of the grout between the tiles. This might be because the focus in the E-1 picture is slightly different.
I tend to agree with Ellie regarding the pen tip and grouting being slightly sharper in the E-3.

Below is the cropped area to the pen end where I thought there was a marked difference between the E-1 and E-3. Pehaps as Ellie pointed out it could be slight focusing differences or as Nick said resizing. Perhaps Garrie will post the originals for comparison.

Unsharpened E-3

Sharpened E-3

Unsharpened E-1

Sharpened E-1

Regards

Gavin