Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 24th September 2009
Oakleigh Photography

wanted 50mm macro and 50mm prime for e410

Hi Does anyone have the above lenses they are looking to get rid of. I am new to photography (hence the 410) and have been using this for a short time to get used to a dslr (my first).

I would like to add the above lenses to my collection.

Any help would be appreciated also any equipment will be considered

John
Old 24th September 2009
mike_j

Re: wanted 50mm macro and 50mm prime for e410

Which lenses exactly are you looking for? ZD (digital) or legacy OM (manual operation and need an adaptor. Vast difference in price.
Old 24th September 2009
Oakleigh Photography

Hi

I know this sounds daft but dont know the difference between OM and ZD. I have an E-410 if that helps. If possible could you tell me the difference please

John
Old 24th September 2009
EH1

Smile Re: wanted 50mm macro and 50mm prime for e410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleigh Photography View Post
Hi

I know this sounds daft but dont know the difference between OM and ZD. I have an E-410 if that helps. If possible could you tell me the difference please

John
Well if you want your auto focus to work you need ZD ( zuiko digital ) lenses! Or you can fit old OM lenses to your camera via an adapter, but although you can get these lenses to confirm focus, you still need to focus totally manually!
Old 24th September 2009
Oakleigh Photography

Thanks

So both type lenses will work with my camera, its only the ZD that use autofocus

Thanks

John
Old 24th September 2009
mike_j

John

The OM lenses were made for the film Olympus SLRs. They only fit your 410 via an adaptor (costs about 10 from ebay - don't waste money on the official Olympus one). Some of the prime lenses were of excellent quality and work well on the 410. They have to be used as aperture priority so you set the aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed/ISO. They also require manual focusing. Some adaptors have what is called a focus confirmation chip or dandelion (makers name) chip. These let the 410 focus confirmation system work though you still have to turn the lens focus ring to get focus.

You asked for a 50mm prime and a 50mm macro. The OM prime f1.8 is available for 10-20 and frankly is incredible value. The f1.4 is more expensive. For macro there is the 50mm f3.5 which is in the order of 70.

The only digital four thirds 50mm primes I know are the Sigma f1.4 and the excellent Olympus f2 macro. Both cost in the region of 350.

I would suggest that you don't need both, the macro is also a good general purpose lens. However I do think you would do well to thoroughly master the camera with the kit lenses attached first. Those lenses are of excellent quality and you may find you don't need the others.
Old 25th September 2009
Oakleigh Photography

Excellent reply thank you

how could I have a go at close up work using the lenses I have

John
Old 25th September 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleigh Photography View Post
Excellent reply thank you

how could I have a go at close up work using the lenses I have

John
I assume you have the two kit lenses, 14-42 and 40-150

The 14-42 does get quite close anyway. However you can buy an achromat 58mm screw on close up lens that would fit it. There is no loss of light using this method, its quite cheap, the autofocus would still work. However there would be a very slight loss in image sharpness. Its probably the simplest way to start. There was a thread on here about close up lenses - have a search :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 25th September 2009
Oakleigh Photography

Where would be the best place to buy an attachemnt

Thanks
Old 25th September 2009

Liked 160 Times in 109 Posts

Hi, New Canon 500D Achromatic lenses seem to run out at about 50 for a 58mm one from the far east via ebay.

Personally I picked up a second hand Sigma one at a good price, again off ebay. Can't vouch for it yet as I've not really played with it. I should know soon as I'm taking it on holiday for a couple of weeks to save toting a dedicated 50mm macro lens around with me.

My own local camera shop Harrison Cameras in Sheffield is listing a DORR achromatic 67mm with stepping rings to fit a 58mm kit lens for about 54.
I've not tried one of these myself, but it would have the advantage that it would also fit a 14-54mm & 50-200mm, which have a 67mm thread, should you decide to upgrade in the future. The only immediate drawback that I can see may be the inability to use the 58mm lens hood with it.

Just make sure you get a true achromat, not one of the cheap single element sets off ebay.

Lots more info Here.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!