Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 5th July 2009
rich s

Re: Diminutive LX3 or D-Lux 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks for this, Rich, it's edged me closer to the LX3. Anyone else have experience of this or the Leica version?
A useful thread here on the merits of the LX3 / D-Lux 4 as a second camera:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8564
Old 5th July 2009
mike_j

Re: Enough is enough!

To some extent I have been downgrading and simplifying this year. Most of my legacy lenses and five cameras have gone, or are going. I'll miss many of them but I'm trying to concentrate on photographs, not photographic hardware. The fact that the G1 lets me use my Leica M lenses has also changed my perspective.

I'm now considering whether to sell my 12-60mm. It's a wonderful lens but with a Panasonic G1 it is very oversized and only works on manual focus.

All the other 4/3 lenses have gone already except the 50-200.

After a weekend with the grandchildren I am tempted to buy a GH1 in place of the G1 just for the video function.

I don't suppose that you ever buy the ultimate camera or are totally happy with the equipment lineup. It's all part of the game.
Old 6th July 2009
rich s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
To some extent I have been downgrading and simplifying this year. Most of my legacy lenses and five cameras have gone, or are going. I'll miss many of them but I'm trying to concentrate on photographs, not photographic hardware. The fact that the G1 lets me use my Leica M lenses has also changed my perspective.

I'm now considering whether to sell my 12-60mm. It's a wonderful lens but with a Panasonic G1 it is very oversized and only works on manual focus.

I don't suppose that you ever buy the ultimate camera or are totally happy with the equipment lineup. It's all part of the game.

I'm sure that limiting the amount of equipment at your disposal at any one time can only lead to more productive thinking in pure photography terms!

Since getting the 14-54II as part of an E30 kit back at Focus this year, I have had little use out of my 12-60 either. Since I like to have both the G1 & E30 able to use the same set of lenses at any one time, it is the more compact 14-54II that goes with the G1, as well as the 9-18 & the Panny 45-200. I even enjoy the E30 more with the lighter 14-54II.

But like you, I have a range of Leica lenses (R type) that perform superbly with the G1 (latest is a mint 35mm Cron f2) and give me a completely different mind set when out and about. One lens on one very capable small body and its a great combination!
Old 6th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A very interesting thread. My daughter got married recently and I would have loved to have done the photographs but unfortunately I had to be in front of the lens instead of behind it, well on some of them anyway. We contacted several local photographers and eventually we found a guy whose work we liked and would give us all the pictures on a dvd, copyright free.
Well he did a superb job, can't fault him at all. He used a Nikon D700 and several lenses. I obviously took loads of pictures myself when I wasn't required to be on them with my E510 and the lovely little 14-42mm. Obviously I took similar pictures to the photographer and unless you look at them at maximum resolution and nit pick, there is not a lot of difference in the pictures, his are very slightly sharper but then again the D700 has a full frame sensor.
I am perfectly happy at last. I have all the lenses I need, 14-42, the old 40-150, 70-300, 35mm macro and the lovely 11-22 and after a just over 12 months with the E510 I am finally getting really good results from the camera.
I will probably be purchasing a LX3 sometime this year as a second camera as my Wife will not let me have the E410 back!
Old 7th July 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is a very interesting thread. When I shot exclusively with film, I aquired more lenses than I ever needed, convincing myself that I really needed the next best thing. I still have most of them and use film regularly. However, I only use two out of the ten or so lenses I have (35mm & 135mm). I find I can do most of what I need using them, so the rest languish in storage, nothing more than 'surplus fat'.

When I decided to purchased some digital gear, I did not wish to repeat past mistakes. I looked very carefully at the focal lengths I regularly shoot at and concluded that the 11-22 and 50mm Digital Zuiko's would be sufficient. That was a few years ago, and to this day they are the only two lenses I own for my digital system (E-1). I have little desire for new lenses anymore, preferring to spend any cash I may have once squandered on kit, on trips away where I can use what I have.

However, the new E-P1 may have put the cat amongst the pigeons; I have been thinking about getting a quality point and shoot (DLUX 4) for use when I find the DSLR too cumbersome. The E-P1 and it's tiny 17mm F2.8 lens may be all I need, and be almost small enough to cram in a pocket.

I have found that as I have grown older, I get more pleasure out of using what I have rather that lusting after the next new shiny. New purchases are carefully considered and justified - unlike ten years ago when my kicks came from the next new bit of gear I intended purchasing.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 8th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting thread and somewhat of a relief to get so many insights from fellow sufferers of the kit syndrome.

Im sure that for most people newer/better/more kit doesn't increase the chances of getting better images, if all other things are equal, at anything like the rate that gaining experience and deploying better techniques will, especially when the kit you have is already very good by mere mortal's standards.

For me, economic necessity has brought discipline, but it's also brought more satisfaction through extracting more of the huge untapped potential of my existing gear rather than buying more gear. That would be my words of wisdom to anybody.

I wanted all-weather gear for outdoor/sports, the E-3/SWD combo is fantastic and in my view Oly beats anybody else for price/size/performance for that kind of use. Of course there's a price to pay compared to the rest of Oly's range, not just the ticket price, but the weight and size of that gear. My dream is the E620 form factor with E3 characteristics (including weatherproof) and smaller/lighter lenses with SWD characteristics (including weather proof). Maybe micro fourthirds will deliver more of that in the next couple of years, if it does, I'll by more gear, but only if I sell what I've got.

I just bought a lovely Tamron SP 90 to help me explore the world of nature close-up but don't really know if I'll take to it until I try. Being manual its going to help me understand more about focus/exposure/dof control too. It cost me less than £100 including 4/3 adapter, end cap and UV filter. A year or two ago I would have jumped in bought a current model macro lens at 4x this investment without thinking it through. I like the change and will probably take better shots through taking more care.

People have mentioned the E-P1 and other compacts for the 2nd camera/carry everywhere solution that we all need (or is that want). I ended up with a Leica D-Lux 4 a few months ago and despite what I thought I'd do, the E-P1 didn't get close to unseating it. The Leica is a beautiful thing, takes lovely pictures and is a pleasure to use. Have I used it for the the past 3 weeks? No. Will I invest the time to really understand it and get the most out of it? No. Will I get a picture I will treasure because I had a camera with me rather than not? Not yet.

Last edited by michaelavis; 8th July 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 13th July 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I have an addictive personality (sounds like a good excuse!)
Anyway i had to say enough was enough when I found myself about to bid on a Ricoh 45mm pancake...
I already have the ZD25 as well as an Industar50-2 and a Konica 40mm on their way as well as the OM 50mm, OM 55 f1.2, Super Tak 50mmf1.4, Nikkor 50mm, Jupiter 58mm... and I needed another lens!!
Enough is enough... I am going to have fun using them ...

unless of course you think there is a lens I should get...
Old 14th July 2009

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

As others have said and intresting thread

I have an E-3 & 12-60 + 50-200 and a 50mm macro (bought 2nd hand before price rises) and it covers everything I want from a digital camera.

Do I want a wider lens? hmm! no as the 12-60 does what I want, well actually I would like the 8mm Fisheye.

I would like the 150mm f2 because I like primes, but it would not improve anything massively that I can't do with the 50-200.

As for the new smaller machines EP-1 & the GH series, yes they are appealing, but again I do not think they would "improve" my photography significantly to warrent the investment.

As for gear, I do hunt Ebay and 2nd hand shops looking for older film gear (which I currently use alot) and currently looking at fast Nikon primes as I am getting through a fair bit of B&W film, Miniture Speed Graphic and /or some other 5x4 camera system

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 24th July 2009

Liked 650 Times in 341 Posts

Interesting to read the views of so many senior and more advance users. It really help me decide that ENOUGH is ENOUGH. For my path along this long road of I WANT..It seems like it's pretty long in just 3 years when I bought into the dSLR family.

The WANT of a "better", Longer and Wider lens was the first step down this long long road of WANTS. Within the first few months the 11-22 and that FL-50 was added into my bag. It was shortly followed by that 35mm, all thanks to some shooter displaying some fantastic macro shots.

Within 8 months from the point of buying that first camera, I have already "upgraded" to a 14-54 mk1. Shortly after that, the Sigma 18-50/2.8 replaced that 14-54 as I started exploring into the world of filters. Since that 11-22 and that 18-50 share the same filter size and it would be cheaper to get 1 set of similar thread then 2 sets or carry reduction rings. In that period, I also got that 135-400 for that long end.

By the time year 2 ended, I have acquired that 7-14, 50mm, sigma 105 and 14-150. I have too many lenses but that urge to buy more was still strong. I swap my FL50 for a FL50R and got a FL36R..bear in mind that I am still using a E-330 which do not support the R. and before the year ended, I got that 14-50 as well.

Then year 3 started, I was offered that 50-200 I could not resist that. Then some nice shooter started posting nice stunning macros shot with that Sigma 150 I want that lens!! The E-30 was also launched, follow closely by that E-620 and now that E-P1 The non IS camera body with that 135-400 is not really working..I cannot steady my self enough to use that lens. limitations!!. Telling myself I am long overdue for a new camera body, I bought that E-620!!

I now have more lenses that I ever need..and still that buy buy bug (or virus) don't seem to want to leave HELP..HELP me to learn that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.. I am being drawn into that 35-100 and 14-35 f2 lenses!

All my garbage so far.
Old 24th July 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Ah. We all would like to have that other lens, wouldn't we! I have bought many a lens that turned out to be OK, but not as great as I was expecting. Round here unused lenses get sold.

Also, here in the UK camera gear is expensive in my opinion. Thus an E3 and a small handful of those pro or very pro lenses** suddenly looks like thousands of pounds. Do I want to leave thousands of pounds in the back of the car when we go for a meal??

So, I admit I now have 8 lenses: 2 kit lenses, 2 semi pro and the remaining 4 are just cheap legacy lenses to play with. Even this pile seems too much sometimes.

My solution - Buy a tiny camera bag. It takes a body plus 2 lenses. That's all. So yesterday was an 11-22 and a 50mm day. No other choices to cloud the issue. It reduces the temptation to buy another lens. Where would I put it?

Pete
** This is the reason I left another more transatlantic E-forum to concentrate on this one. Over there they seem to get paid more and the gear is a lot cheaper. Thus everyone seemed to be using Olympus top grade gear taking fabulous shots in the Grand Canyon.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 24th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
My solution - Buy a tiny camera bag. It takes a body plus 2 lenses. That's all. So yesterday was an 11-22 and a 50mm day. No other choices to cloud the issue. It reduces the temptation to buy another lens. Where would I put it?

Pete
Much of the time, that's my solution as well.

I also think at the longer end of the lens range, the legacy option is very attractive - if you can master manual focussing. I'm currently experiementing with a Dandelion OM-4/3rds adaptor recommended by John Foster for my 85, 300 and 500mm legacy lenses, for example. However, even these lenses are Not Cheap. I wish I hadn't got rid of my OM 200 and 135...

Unfortunately, at the wide end, even vaguely affordable options are more limited thanks to that 2x crop. Maybe I'll stumble across an OM 8mm at a car boot sale...

I also can speak from experience that more lenses doesn't necessarily equal happiness. I wouldn't be without the 7-14 because when I want it, I really, really want it, but it only gets put in that small camera bag occasionally because it's such a brick to haul around.

There are reasons I would like to upgrade my E510 to an E30 (notably the swing out LCD and better VF), but I'm perfectly happy with the images from the E510, and it already has almost all the other features I actually need. I certainly don't need Art Filters... My experience with the E1 demonstrates that even twice as many MP doesn't equal twice the image quality.

I will therefore only upgrade if and when I get a windfall MAO!

I think what this thread has identified is the problem that manufacturers are currently wrestling with. IE, the existing "enthusiast" market is almost saturated (especially in the present economic climate), and they have to find ways of widening the marketplace - hence the E-P1.
Old 24th July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
<snip>My solution - Buy a tiny camera bag. It takes a body plus 2 lenses. That's all.
This is excellent advice. I too have a tiny bag that takes just the body and one small lens. I have to admit to having a small E-System bag that takes the body and three lenses, but I try hard to limit it to two as 95% of my pictures are taken between 7mm to 54mm.

Everything else is mostly used at home for experimental stuff.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
This is excellent advice. I too have a tiny bag that takes just the body and one small lens. I have to admit to having a small E-System bag that takes the body and three lenses, but I try hard to limit it to two as 95% of my pictures are taken between 7mm to 54mm.

Everything else is mostly used at home for experimental stuff.
But Graham, you know you'd like a 90-250mm - I saw how much fun you had with it at Epping...

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th July 2009
Makonde

I have a plan....

Once I commited to Oly over the past year, the plan was to get the 12-60 and 50-200 (done) with the EC 14 (on order) and 50mm macro (coming next week) to follow while waiting for the E3 successor. I also have my eye on the 9-18 but only when opportunity arises.

Then the 520 and its two kit lenses get given to a son or daughter and I look for the second generation of the EP-1 (though tempted by the first one!) as backup and walkabout. Plus adapter.

With a squeeze, the 12-60 (on the camera), the 50-200 and one other lens plus the FLR 36 fit into the same camera bag i had for my old OM1 with three lenses and a flash.......

That's it. Makes sense to me...... ask me in a year.....