Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 12th May 2015

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: SCP always on?

David and I have discussed this on another thread. Not having owned an EM1 or EM5 mk1 it took a few questions to understand what he was trying to achieve.

My EM10 has the facility to turn off the SCP and leave a black screen but I'd not used it and thats why I didn't understand Davids' problem right away.

As Peter says it's easy to have the EM5 mkii set to EVF and leave the LCD reversed and protected and flick it out to one side to see the SCP when needed, as easy as cycling through a few screens with the Info button but I guess it's what you're used to at the end of the day!

I can only guess Olympus thought if users want the LCD off they'd just use the EVF with the LCD closed but can see why David wants a firmware update to change it.
Old 12th May 2015

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

I can see David's point. If I'm using the EVF, then I want the rear screen off. I don't want it jumping into live view or SCP when I remove my eye. If I want to use the rear screen then I'll either turn eye detect on or press a button. Flipping the screen isn't a sensible alternative either. Why did Oly feel the need to change it? It works just fine on the E-M5 and E-M1.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 13th May 2015

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I am sorry I tried to help...and think you really ought to consider how your attitude comes over. And perhaps who this 'we' are.
Please accept my apologies - there was no intention to offend. However, as others have pointed out, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for having changed what worked well in the EM1 and EM5 (and IIRC in the E3/5).

In answer to Simon Bee's point I do have firmware 1.1 but as far as I can see it has made no difference to this particular problem.

Of the solutions suggested turning the screen round seems to be the best for my purposes but I'd rather not have to.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 13th May 2015

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Just tried it for you. With the eye sensor off and EVF selected when you press the button to review an image it turns up on the back screen unless that is faced inwards when it goes to the EVF. Which means they have thought about it at least. And to me that it is how I'd want it - but it may be configurable to work another way.

Not sure what answer you wanted.

But I don't see any of these things as problems. And if you want to work with live view on it is just as Simon says. Switching the SCP on and off is not an issue. I was trying to give you solutions for working in the dark.

bed now.
Thank you for trying it, Peter. It does sound as though turning the screen round and using the EVF for everything is the only solution. I think that would be manageable, so I am not quite so concerned about what the E-M1 replacement might do.

It all raises some interesting questions though. This level of detail is not something that we would normally check when looking at a new model. We (well, I do anyway) just assume that the new one is a development of what I already have, and while there will be some new stuff the old stuff will continue as before. But quite small changes can make quite big differences in use, as we have seen from some of the feelings expressed here.

I'm not sure what Oly ought to do about it either. Clearly there is a reason for changing these things. Some of us will like the way the original E-M5 does it, ditto the E-M1, E-M10 etc. Others will be pleased with the new way. In order to accommodate everybody I suppose we could have even more options in the menus to fine-tune it - but the general feeling seems to be that the menus are bloated enough already.

Thanks everybody for your comments ... John
The Following User Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (13th May 2015)
Old 13th May 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

I'm not sure what Oly ought to do about it either. Clearly there is a reason for changing these things. Some of us will like the way the original E-M5 does it, ditto the E-M1, E-M10 etc. Others will be pleased with the new way. In order to accommodate everybody I suppose we could have even more options in the menus to fine-tune it - but the general feeling seems to be that the menus are bloated enough already.

Thanks everybody for your comments ... John
Well put John.

The level of customisation in the M4/3 cameras is a two edged sword.
In fact if I remember correctly there have been many "complaints" in the past in relation to previous generation OM-D/Pen cameras that the SCP was difficult to find and implement and people were saying "why isn't such a useful feature a default setting?". Well, Olympus seem to have listened and made it so. However, because of the variety of ways in which individuals can choose to use/configure their cameras they haven't managed to take account of all the possible combinations people may have chosen. The idea we all have that "anything can be improved by a firmware change" unfortunately can result in creating new "problems" for some users when solving old "problems" for others. It's a bit like "computers/software will result in the paperless office", that never quite happened.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 13th May 2015

Liked 2,941 Times in 857 Posts

It is all rather curious and it would be interesting to hear why Olympus decided to change the way the controls work.

If nothing else this discussion prompted me to have a play with my E-M1. I was surprised to discover that when I look at the LCD and repeatedly press the Info button it scrolls through the screen options. If I then put the camera to my eye and press the Info button it cycles through the EVF options, without changing the LCD layout. I suppose that is blindingly obvious to more 'techy' users than myself but I find it rather impressive. I am easily impressed.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
IainMacD (13th May 2015), PeterBirder (13th May 2015)
Old 13th May 2015

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Even having had the camera for a year I learnt a lot about the EM1 from the Darrell Young book which is certainly well worth the price. It was also useful for some menu options on the EM5 and EM5 II which in some cases (not SCP!) are similar.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 29th May 2015

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

hi all, I was tweaking about with my em5mk2, if you go into the gear cog menu go to K=utility and right at the bottom of the options there is QUICK SLEEP MODE, WHICH DOES TURN THE WHOLE SCREEN OFF. However this is rather a rapid response in fact about 3 seconds. When you then press the screen button it will come on again for either the SCP or press the blue arrow button to check your last shot! Again I have not worked out how to extend the 3 seconds. Which can be quite annoying whilst composing a shot using the lcd screen IE for close up shots. I am not sure if that helps the author of this thread
Kind regards mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mdb2 For This Useful Post:
Melaka (1st June 2015)