Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 12th May 2015

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts
SCP always on?

I don't have an E-M5 Mk II, but something that has come up on here a few times concerns me a bit. From some comments made, it looks as though the Super Control Panel is always displayed on the back - is this correct, or have I misinterpreted?

I find the SCP very useful but would not want it permanently displayed. I do quite a bit of work in dark concert venues and really do not want a display glowing on the back all the time - it would be very inconsiderate towards the rest of the audience.

John
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 181 Times in 99 Posts
Re: SCP always on?

No it can be switched off like on the MkI
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Not so, unless mine is defective. Pressing the info button on the EM5 II does not switch the SCP off where as it does on the EM1 and EM5.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 1,008 Times in 299 Posts

So when you take the camera away from your eye the SCP is always displayed
on the rear screen and can't be turned off by either using the Ok button or toggling the info button.
I hope Peter is correct or they don't implement this on the E-M1 mk2 or it will probably be a deal breaker for me.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 12th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I hope Peter is correct or they don't implement this on the E-M1 mk2 or it will probably be a deal breaker for me.
Exactly Andy, this is why I raised it.

I very much like having the SCP available, the way I am set up (E-M5 Mk I and E-M1) the back screen is normally blank. The OK button brings it up and a half-press on the shutter turns it off again. This is fine - if I want it when I'm at a gig I can find a quiet corner and bring it up with minimal disturbance to others.

I too am in pre-drool mode over what the E-M1's replacement will be like, which is why this is a potential concern.

John
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 879 Times in 403 Posts

I have the screen turned inwards like I do on the E3 and E5 so it is quite discreet and switches the screen off. It's easy to turn the screen outwards when wanted. I like the fact it is protected that way.

I find the viewfinder quality large and bright and quite suitable to check the SCP settings (where they appear when you press OK). But you can reverse the screen if you have lots of changes to make and then flip it back.

Also if you switch off the eye detection and use the live view button to swap between the viewfinder and screen. You can switch where you see the SCP that way too. So there are lots of ways to get a blank screen and switch off the SCP.

In a bird hide the silent shutter is lovely (I don't do concerts but feel it would be a benefit there too). There are so many good things with the system such as it is. I know it is different to previous cameras, but to me far more geared to taking pictures.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 12th May 2015

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,948 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
Not so, unless mine is defective. Pressing the info button on the EM5 II does not switch the SCP off where as it does on the EM1 and EM5.
Ughhhh. - I don't like that. I hope the E-M1 mkii doesn't do the same.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 12th May 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Agree, I really hope the eventual EM-1 mkII doesn't do the same. I would find that highly annoying, I like the SCP to only show when I want it and press the appropriate button.
Old 12th May 2015

Hopefully if someone from Olympus is reading this it will be put right in firmware 1.2.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 12th May 2015

Thank you all for your comments so far. People will be getting home from work soon so there could be a few more to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I have the screen turned inwards like I do on the E3 and E5 so it is quite discreet and switches the screen off. It's easy to turn the screen outwards when wanted. I like the fact it is protected that way.

I find the viewfinder quality large and bright and quite suitable to check the SCP settings (where they appear when you press OK). But you can reverse the screen if you have lots of changes to make and then flip it back.

Also if you switch off the eye detection and use the live view button to swap between the viewfinder and screen. You can switch where you see the SCP that way too. So there are lots of ways to get a blank screen and switch off the SCP.

In a bird hide the silent shutter is lovely (I don't do concerts but feel it would be a benefit there too). There are so many good things with the system such as it is. I know it is different to previous cameras, but to me far more geared to taking pictures.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I didn't realise that you can turn the screen right round on the Mk II - you can't on the Mk I or the E-M1. But I wouldn't want to anyway - it is very useful to have it there when needed, but I want to tell it when to start glowing in the dark, not have it on all the time or come on after a shot (I always turn off auto-review).

John
Old 12th May 2015

These are work rounds to overcome a problem that doesn't exist in earlier models. We need a solution, not a work round!

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 12th May 2015

Quote:
These are work rounds to overcome a problem that doesn't exist in earlier models. We need a solution, not a work round!
I am sorry I tried to help...and think you really ought to consider how your attitude comes over. And perhaps who this 'we' are.

Old 12th May 2015

Liked 294 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Well David I can confirm that when I switch my 5mk2 on, the rear screen goes straight to 'live view'. If I want the SCP I have to press the 'info' button for it to appear and once again for it to disappear.

One thing I have not yet done is update the firmware, have you? If so maybe it's a bug in the new firmware?

Kind regards, Simon
Old 12th May 2015

Peter (art frames) - thanks again for your suggestions. I have just been trying out your suggestion of switching eye detect off, and switching between EVF and the back panel with the (o) button (for want of a better graphic!). And found something a bit interesting.

First, I don't find the version of the SCP that comes up in the viewfinder nearly as easy to use as the one on the back. However, that is probably just down to lack of familiarity and I could probably get used to it pretty quickly, so not a problem.

The interesting bit is what happens with image review. With eye sensor on, the E-M1 when up at the eye will show the image for review in the viewfinder. With it off, and the EVF selected, it doesn't - it shows it on the back panel. The E-M5 Mk I seems to show it on the back regardless. Does the E-M5 Mk II do it like the E-M1?

Good point about the quiet shutter being good for concerts. Although since I needed earplugs for the band I shot on Saturday, it is not always as important as you might think

John
Old 12th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
The interesting bit is what happens with image review. With eye sensor on, the E-M1 when up at the eye will show the image for review in the viewfinder. With it off, and the EVF selected, it doesn't - it shows it on the back panel. The E-M5 Mk I seems to show it on the back regardless. Does the E-M5 Mk II do it like the E-M1?
John
Just tried it for you. With the eye sensor off and EVF selected when you press the button to review an image it turns up on the back screen unless that is faced inwards when it goes to the EVF. Which means they have thought about it at least. And to me that it is how I'd want it - but it may be configurable to work another way.

Not sure what answer you wanted.

But I don't see any of these things as problems. And if you want to work with live view on it is just as Simon says. Switching the SCP on and off is not an issue. I was trying to give you solutions for working in the dark.

bed now.

The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (12th May 2015)