Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 15th March 2015

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts
Re: Can EM5-II owners do me a favour please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Oh, one last thing before I put this to bed. For those that's had shutter shock with various cameras did it do it every time at a specific shutter speed or just once in a blue moon?
I think you're going to find it hard to get definitive answers on this. The problem is that different people will perceive it in different ways. For example, I thought my E-P5 did not exhibit the issue but then I noticed some shots showed obvious blurring. Then I went looking very closely at other shots and could detect some faint blurring in a lot of them. Doing controlled tests shooting some fabric with a subtle weave pattern, this slight blurring became quite plain. On a sturdy tripod, the weave would be quite visible. Handheld, the weave completely disappeared, even though in isolation many of the images looked sharp.

Bottom line I think is that there are at least three factors in play here - the lens being used, the hand-holding technique and the standard of sharpness that the photographer expects. Given that, I think you'll find quite a lot variation in opinions.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (16th March 2015), Zuiko (15th March 2015)
Old 16th March 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. I'm getting the impression I should just stop whining and just use EFC lol. I'm hesitant to use 1st and 2nd electronic shutter though due to the potential risk of artefacts
Yep, that's about it!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (16th March 2015)
Old 16th March 2015

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,079 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. I have to say mine is EVERY time shutter speed is used anywhere from 1/80-1/160 (and maybe wider), and with any lens.
Anywhere from 1/50 - 1/250 sec it might show up, but I think I read somewhere the Antishock function cuts out at a higher shutter speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's good really that the Mk II has a couple of options to combat shutter shock that the Mk I doesn't have.
That is true as the E-M5 II has more options than any other model so far. Sequential Low with Antishock sounds like a great feature to have included & I wish that could be added to the E-M1 (Silent Shutter being great too, but it has its limitations of use though), but I am aware of these limitations or occurrences & just use the appropriate settings (including Antishock) to get the photos I want. It has to be remembered that DSLRs also have vibration issues at certain shutter speeds too & that is when mirror lock up is used to get around that (but a heavy body may dampen it more perhaps).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 16th March 2015

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,080 Posts

My EM1 showed it pretty much the same as Brian described but the work round has fixed it. As far as I can tell it's fine now.
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts

I have done what I can to help. I have taken the same three pictures on manual with everything the same apart from using the anti shock setting.

I don't have a 12-40 so used the 45mm at 1/125 and f2.8

I have uploaded all six shots to my dropbox so you can see them as large as your view your own. dropbox

The first three (P3160001-3) are without and the second three (P3160004-6) with the antishock.

I am trying to be helpful as I do understand entirely your need to see if the camera is faulty. My own experience of the EM1 was that I saw the problem from the first few days, could demonstrate the problem (without even knowing what shutter shock was) but was surrounded by people saying the camera was perfect and Olympus (at that time) denying the problem even though they could reproduce it themselves...I did not keep the EM1. And did not like the way they dealt with me over it.

I never had an issue with the EM5 and really like this new version of the camera. I am enjoying the ability to magnify and use focus peaking with SAF +MF and will use wifi for some things. TBH I will leave it on the antishock setting as I am looking for any issues to be caused by me, rather than technical problems which are hard to account for.

Let me know on PM if I can help with anything else, within reason!

Hope you get a happy resolution.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (16th March 2015)
Old 16th March 2015

Thanks for uploading this. I, for one, can definitely see a difference. It's small, but it's there. I'd have anti-shock enabled for sure.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 881 Times in 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Thanks for uploading this. I, for one, can definitely see a difference. It's small, but it's there. I'd have anti-shock enabled for sure.
Paul

I agree for this one example camera it is small, not always visible and not upsetting me as I think Olympus have done the right thing by making antishock the default and making it easy to employ. So they accept it needs it.

I uploaded them for comparison with what seems to be a more problematic camera as that may need to be exchanged whilst it is new.

The problem I had is that people rarely share full sized examples which are straight out of the camera. Without seeing that you can tell very little.

It is a shame I don't have that lens as I believe weight and other factors come into it as well. For example I do use the half grip.

But I'm happy to help.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 357 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I have done what I can to help. I have taken the same three pictures on manual with everything the same apart from using the anti shock setting.

I don't have a 12-40 so used the 45mm at 1/125 and f2.8

I have uploaded all six shots to my dropbox so you can see them as large as your view your own. dropbox

The first three (P3160001-3) are without and the second three (P3160004-6) with the antishock.

I am trying to be helpful as I do understand entirely your need to see if the camera is faulty. My own experience of the EM1 was that I saw the problem from the first few days, could demonstrate the problem (without even knowing what shutter shock was) but was surrounded by people saying the camera was perfect and Olympus (at that time) denying the problem even though they could reproduce it themselves...I did not keep the EM1. And did not like the way they dealt with me over it.

I never had an issue with the EM5 and really like this new version of the camera. I am enjoying the ability to magnify and use focus peaking with SAF +MF and will use wifi for some things. TBH I will leave it on the antishock setting as I am looking for any issues to be caused by me, rather than technical problems which are hard to account for.

Let me know on PM if I can help with anything else, within reason!

Hope you get a happy resolution.
Really appreciate this, exactly what I was looking for. The difference in your shots is extremely minor and I doubt I'd have seen this unless really scrutinising it.

This is another example of how bad mine is.

Old 16th March 2015

It's not necessarily the camera per se - I certainly found when testing my E-P5 that the lens used made quite a difference. By far the worst was the Panasonic 14-42 PZ, but the 9-18 had similar issues too. Can you try another lens?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 16th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
It's not necessarily the camera per se - I certainly found when testing my E-P5 that the lens used made quite a difference. By far the worst was the Panasonic 14-42 PZ, but the 9-18 had similar issues too. Can you try another lens?
They were taken with the 12-32mm pancake I believe. This and the 12-40mm f2.8 demonstrate the same issue. I will try it with the 45mm tonight/tomorrow too.

Got to say one minute I think stuff it I'll just use it with AS mode, at least it's predictable and using AS my images are sharp 100% of the time, then the next minute I'm thinking why should I put up with it. I do keep leaning towards the former though as I think if I did get a replacement I'd use it in AS mode anyway just in case
Old 16th March 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The EP5 is fixed with the latest firmware, isn't it. Well I think mine is, but then again I don't go looking too closely. It's adequate for my type of work (most of it is missed focus anyway ).

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (16th March 2015)
Old 16th March 2015

Unfortunately the EM5-II will be going back. AS mode does not prevent shutter shock when using bracketing and antishock continous shooting, a setting I use a lot for landscapes.

I'm undecided whether to get a replacement or refund, it all depends how quickly they can get a new one to me as I bought this camera specifically for a trip that is coming up very shortly
Old 16th March 2015

That's bad news mate, especially given it was purchased for a trip.

Have you checked out the M43 forum (Amin's site) there seems to be few users over there. Ask away see whether it's a 'feature' or you've got an isolated bad example of the camera.

on flickr
Old 16th March 2015

I'm not usually an 'early adopter' myself, I prefer to let the 'guinea pigs' out there to try them first. Having said that, I've just purchased a GM5, but so far no problems.

Hope you find what you want as a replacement, but it might be better to find a 'tried and tested' model.

on flickr
Old 16th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
That's bad news mate, especially given it was purchased for a trip.

Have you checked out the M43 forum (Amin's site) there seems to be few users over there. Ask away see whether it's a 'feature' or you've got an isolated bad example of the camera.
Thanks, that was the purpose of this thread. Which m43 site is Amin's? If it's a 'feature' it's no good to me as I cannot get useable shots with a particular setting I use a lot. If it's a feature I have to decide whether to just stick with my EM10 (although weather sealing is an issue) or jump ship to another system. Shame as I went round the houses considering what camera to get and the EM5-II fit the bill perfectly.

What I can't get my head around is that if I just use AS continuous shooting then it works fine. If I use AS continuous with 3 shot exposure bracketing the first and 3rd/last frames are blurred, every time. This is true if I use IBIS or not. Without AS every frame is blurred.

You could argue that I could just use single shot during bracketing and just press the shutter 3 times. Whilst I could this increases the shot time and so runs the risk of cloud movement for HDR purposes, and frankly it's a workaround for a problem it shouldn't be having.

I do wonder if part of it is software as why would AS continuous work for 'normal' shooting, but not for bracketed shots? I've tried this with back button AF (using AEL as the focus button) so that there's no focussing between shots, and also with the normal shutter button as the focus button.