Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 8th April 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
shooting .tif files

I'm a new forum member and new owner of a barely used e-1, as well.
Am loving the e-1, began yesterday shooting all tiff files, which doesn't slow down the camera's write speed and still produces very reasonably sized files (16.1MB) I don't see any difference between .org and .tif, but was wondering what the general consensus was on that?
Shooting in .tif is more digestible to the panorama software I use. Otherwise, .orf would be fine (develop almost everything in LR4).
Old 8th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: shooting .tif files

I wasn't aware that the E1 could shoot TIF, Stewart? Are you sure they are not JPG...?

My recommendation is if you use LR4, that you shoot all your shots in RAW. Doing this gives you the greatest amount of control over your final image. If you use LR4 (as I do) for your processing, then RAW is undoubtedly the best format.

Old 8th April 2012

Yes, tiffs are one of the options, along with the other choices. Is sort of a throwback?, to when raw processing was less common (I guess). My old Oly c2100 uz could shoot tiffs, for example, but not raw. But what you say about sticking with raw sounds familiar.
Old 8th April 2012

Thanks for that info Stewart, I wasn't aware of that.

I'd still suggest shooting in RAW though. If you use LR4 as the center of your universe re image files, once the images are imported into LR, you can then export them either directly into CS5 or to HDD as TIFFs ready for your pano software (autopanopro..?).

Using RAW means you never lose access to the original files, so nothing is ever lost. Use this with a decent backup strategy and you're pretty safe from all losses.

What pano's do you shoot?

Old 8th April 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Yes, tiffs are one of the options, along with the other choices. Is sort of a throwback?, to when raw processing was less common (I guess). My old Oly c2100 uz could shoot tiffs, for example, but not raw. But what you say about sticking with raw sounds familiar.
Yes, I think it is a bit of a throwback as my E-500 can shoot TIFFs, but they dropped it from the E-510.
Old 8th April 2012

Panos: I have this perhaps whacky notion that I can use the smaller Kodak sensor in assemblages, to give it the impression of larger size and more detail. Below is a two image vertical stitch, which needed a little cloning repair where a couple of elements didn't line up. But I don't see why four images in a square orientation couldn't be successfully stitched together. As an experiment (i.e., hobby), can't justify spending money on dedicated software, nor Photoshop, and haven't been able to find a free pano program that works on mac/lion. So I'm using the panorama tool that is included with the Helicon Focus stacking software. Its cloning tool can also be used, though you have to feed it single image to stack (rather than multiple images), and then process the output as you would a regular stack.
Panorama Result2.jpg
Old 8th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I wasn't aware that the E1 could shoot TIF, Stewart? Are you sure they are not JPG...?

My recommendation is if you use LR4, that you shoot all your shots in RAW. Doing this gives you the greatest amount of control over your final image. If you use LR4 (as I do) for your processing, then RAW is undoubtedly the best format.
John Def does Tiff !

One reason for RAW is the extra detail captured esp. in shadows AND RAW software like CO6 extracts so much more detail from RAW ! The Oly [Free] Viewer 2 software facilitates all sorts of filters and edit tools to RAW ONLY files
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2012

It would be interesting to read a technical explanation of this (a "for dummies" version, at least), as I've always been curious as to the difference between an in camera proprietary file and a tiff, particularly as the .orf is compressed and the tiff is not (?). I'll have to experiment with both, if only to convince myself.
Old 9th April 2012

Stewart, I look forward to seeing your results and report

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
It would be interesting to read a technical explanation of this (a "for dummies" version, at least), as I've always been curious as to the difference between an in camera proprietary file and a tiff, particularly as the .orf is compressed and the tiff is not (?). I'll have to experiment with both, if only to convince myself.
Here's a good start Stewart - though it predominantly focuses on RAW and JPG - but the essentials are there.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
BobS (18th April 2012)
Old 9th April 2012

John, you are a veritable mind of information - that explanation is so clear AMAZING and no wonder Phase One & CO6 works as it does

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2012

Yep there's no doubt that if you are able to shoot in RAW and you like processing, then you should always shoot in RAW.

Old 9th April 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Depends if you shoot for print , slide or internet. I like tif for shots I know are going dirrectly to Forums, and raw otherwise. eg tif for action etc, raw for portraits, but then, I am old fashioned, I believe that Technique is far more important than technology. I use an E1 and a E300.
Old 9th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Depends if you shoot for print , slide or internet. I like tif for shots I know are going dirrectly to Forums, and raw otherwise. eg tif for action etc, raw for portraits, but then, I am old fashioned, I believe that Technique is far more important than technology. I use an E1 and a E300.
Not with you there I'm afraid.

TIFF format, for forums...? not on any forums I have visited - the format is almost always JPG as TIFF files are usually very large and would consume too much space on the server, particularly on a photo forum such as this.

I also don't understand how shooting TIFF allows you to take better action shots than shooting RAW...? Just doesn't seem to make sense to me, sorry.

You are right though on the technique being more important than technology, however, one must take advantage of the technology. The same shot, with the same technique with poor technology is not as good as that same shot with the same technique with better technology. Thus, why not utilise it.

Old 9th April 2012

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Not with you there I'm afraid.

TIFF format, for forums...? not on any forums I have visited - the format is almost always JPG as TIFF files are usually very large and would consume too much space on the server, particularly on a photo forum such as this.

I also don't understand how shooting TIFF allows you to take better action shots than shooting RAW...? Just doesn't seem to make sense to me, sorry.

You are right though on the technique being more important than technology, however, one must take advantage of the technology. The same shot, with the same technique with poor technology is not as good as that same shot with the same technique with better technology. Thus, why not utilise it.
Didn't say i posted in Tiff for forums, MusicMan, just took 'em in Tiff I always post jpegs, as you say. I find that Tiffs take much less editing, which suits me fine