Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen Mini E-PM1

Olympus Pen Mini E-PM1 The third of Olympus' third-generation Micro Four Thirds Pens and the smallest and lightest yet!

Old 5th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

Smile Got One on Order

Had a clearout of kit I don't use much, and raised the necessary fundage for one of these, in Brown. Looking forward to bringing another Olympus home next week some time when it arrives.
Old 6th January 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Got One on Order

Well I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I love mine. So easy to use and small and light.
Old 6th January 2012

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Congratulations, a nice review of your very camera here

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Brown, good choice. I'm hoping to own one soon too ...
Old 6th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

I wanted the 'desert camo' colour scheme, but they don't do that one, so brown will have to do. Thanks for the comments & links to reviews.

Sadly, had to let my E-1 go, alongside a couple of compacts to raise the necessary funds, but it wil join the rest of my Olympus family, which consists of an E-620 and an E-P1.
Old 6th January 2012

How are you getting on with the new K-5?
I can understand the temptation have gone that route myself in the past and it's certainly at an amazing price level at the moment.
I still frequent the Pentax forums on occasion to keep up with the gossip

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
How are you getting on with the new K-5?
I can understand the temptation have gone that route myself in the past and it's certainly at an amazing price level at the moment.
I still frequent the Pentax forums on occasion to keep up with the gossip
It's very nice, really it was a replacement for my Nikon F100 as well as my Oly E-1, as I needed something weatherproof for Wildlife photography. I'm not convinced that it is anywhere near as user friendly as my Olympus DSLR gear though, but I am getting to know it bit by bit, and beginning to understand how to pull some results from it, especially in low light. I guess I have got so used to the Olympus 'super menu' on my E-620 & E-P1 that the Pentax K-5 does seem a bit fiddly to set up quickly, unless I just stick to RAW, but it has a heck of a JPG image engine when fiddled with, and is remarkably configurable. Also, at it's current price it's a massive shot across the bows of all other DSLR camera makers in it's class.
Old 6th January 2012

Nice gear yes I agree, I had the K-7 and the K20D before that, both quality bits of kit.
If you are going for weather proof know doubt you'll be looking at the DA*300 f/4 for wildlife work, currently the longest focal length quality weather and dust proof optic they do.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 6th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

That one is a bit out of my price range currently, so I am using an old Cosina 300mm f5.6. It's cheap and cheerful, but a sturdy old thing, manual focus which I'm fine with, but very rubberised and bashproof, and seems to forgive in all weathers. I'm getting pretty acceptable results in good light from it. I'm going to have to get the Pentax K to Olympus 4/3 adapter and use it on my E-620 as well. I have a 500mm mirror lens which I have used on my E-P1 for some moon shots http://wideangle.aminus3.com/image/2010-12-22.html but it's a bit cumbersome for general wildlife image making, so the Cosina would probably be a better option.
Old 6th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Brown, good choice. I'm hoping to own one soon too ...
Ah yes, I believe Olympus owe you some kit.........

Enjoy, it is well deserved!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ah yes, I believe Olympus owe you some kit.........

Enjoy, it is well deserved!
Yes of course, congratulations Ulfric that was a fantastic image
I have to agree regarding the colour too, the E-PM1 looks good in brown.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 14th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

Mine arrived a couple of days back, and has already seen a fair bit of use. First impressions.... AF is very fast and much improved on the E-P1, the lack of function buttons which I thought might be an issue really isn't one, as the SCP once enabled means it's as quick to change the setup as the E-P1. Another pleasant surprise was that I could change the functions of the 4-way switch to the ones I need, a useful feature. Will definitely fit in my pocket once I've saved up for the 14mm Panasonic. The kit lens is better built than the one on my E-P1. It's very nice in Brown (more bronze to my eyes), but the supplied strap is awful, and it would be better with a decent quick release wrist strap.

Going to continue to use every day, and then decide in a couple weeks whether to now sell my old E-P1, and get the 14mm lens & a VF-3.

edit note..... just been out and about and realised just how much more processing power it has in comparison to the E-P1. I was shooting my preferred option which is RAW+JPG Fine, and using all manner of Aspect Ratio settings and Art Filters. There is very minimal delay on the write speed to a lowly Class 4 SDHC card, and the Art Filters are processed really fast now, which was a major drawback on the E-P1. It took me by surprise, and had to check that I was shooting at full resolution and that RAW+JPG was on.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (14th January 2012)
Old 14th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

Unedited JPG from E-PM1 (except for re-size in order to post here), this was with the Dramatic Tone Art Filter. Interestingly, I shot RAW+JPG and brought the RAW into Viewer 2, fiddled with the RAW file for half an hour, and then applied the Dramatic Tone filter in the software, and found I had an almost identical result to the in-camera one. Olympus engineers got this Art Filter spot on.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Greytop (14th January 2012)
Old 14th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Woa, that's a nice picture.
I heard the new cameras could 'bracket' the art-filters : i.e. three different results from one exposure. Is this true in your (now officially bronze) e-pM1?
Old 15th January 2012
Sprocketdog23

Yes, that is supposed to be true, but I haven't yet tried it. I think B&W grainy film mixed with Pinhole would be a good starting point.

Here are more, from my visit to Dovedale at sunset earlier today (Saturday). Again I used Dramatic Tone, and these are the resized E-PM1 Jpg's