Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th August 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am i invisible?

Bumped into a bloke today while out with my Father in law, with a Canon and lens as long as a dog. Myself and my father in law where both out taking Photographs, so naturally we all got talking. After about half an hour of how good Canon is this guy took a look at my father in law's Panny FZ8 and said that's a good camera, then looked at mine (E520) said nothing but gave me the look of your a nutter and swiftly went back to Canon talk lol.

My question has anyone else had similar experience like this? if so please shear your story
Old 13th August 2011

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts
Re: Am i invisible?

Using one of the big, white, legacy OM super telephotos I've frequently had Canon users wanting to know what Canon lens it is. They sometimes get upset when I tell them it's an Olympus lens in demand with Canon shooters because it's sharp!

Of course, sometimes I'm not as nice if they disturb my subject. I've actually had weekend wannabes stand between me and the bird/animal to get a look at the lens.

It's even more fun when they make out they're pros, they soon clear off when you ask a few 'difficult' questions.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 13th August 2011

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Yes, on Friday I was watching my Son play in the yearly Golf victory trophy when I bumped into a chap with some sort of Canon set up, he asked me what my gear was and after I told him he said "is that a compact or an SLR ?", ignorance / arrogance, delete as appropriate
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one
Old 13th August 2011
E-P1 fan

I reckon it's just branding/brainwashing. Everyone's heard of Canon, Nikon etc so it's acceptable and known. When they see an Olympus dslr - they probably don't have a clue what it is so say nothing. Doesn't apply to the Pen in my experience (result of the TV ad campaign??) Most people seem to know roughly that my E-P1 is a Pen.
Old 13th August 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that it funny David, I like the idea of a Canon decoy lol.

I think a little of both there Ian
Old 13th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,440 Times in 2,106 Posts

I've only ever encountered a hostile/arrogant/prejudiced attitute towards Olympus on the Internet - and if you frequent the "right" sites you can find that in shed loads! In the real world I've often I've had Nikon and Canon owners ask me for advice. On two occasions I've even had owners of entry level Canons play their gear down and virtually apologize for it when they've seen my E-3. I don't think they quite knew what it was but were definitely impressed by the "pro" look. Each time I had to reassure the owner that his camera was fine and capable of great results.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th August 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-P1 fan View Post
I reckon it's just branding/brainwashing. Everyone's heard of Canon, Nikon etc so it's acceptable and known.
I tend to agree with that statement, it's the same with football. If you don't support the top 4 or even a premiership team these days you get looks of why. Or the classic statement "some Lower league team" is my team but my prem team is ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.
Old 13th August 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I've only ever encountered a hostile/arrogant/prejudiced attitute towards Olympus on the Internet - and if you frequent the "right" sites you can find that in shed loads! In the real world I've often I've had Nikon and Canon owners ask me for advice. On two occasions I've even had owners of entry level Canons play their gear down and virtually apologize for it when they've seen my E-3. I don't think they quite knew what it was but were definitely impressed by the "pro" look. Each time I had to reassure the owner that his camera was fine and capable of great results.
I agree John, Its a lot about kit and image/fashion
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

As I am a bit of an unsociable loner and usually only go to little known sites, I rarely encounter any other photographers apart from one or two I see fairly regularly, so I never get into a conversation about gear. It's interesting that birdwatchers and other naturalists never seem to discuss binos, 'scopes or any other gear and some of the more notable experts have kit which is as old as the hills and are happy with it. There is something about some photographers that puts them in the same class as car and bike enthusiasts where kit is everything and functionality of secondary importance. As my interest in photography is secondary to my interest in natural history I haven't much of a clue about other makes of camera and what they can or cannot do, I am just confident my chosen brand does it for me.

David
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

I did a readers workshop with a real pro and he made a comment about my E5 about "winding it up". It was said as a joke but I got the impression he thought only Canon or Nikon cut the mustard.
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Being the only Oly shooter in the photoclub at work, I have only positive experiences with the Nikon and Canon users. Of course there is always some friendly mocking amongst us (also Canon versus Nikon).
But in general people appreciate that each model has strengths and weaknesses and that results depends more on photographer and subject rather than what brand.
In general my colleagues are quite impressed by the Olyumpus colours and the sharpness of the HG and SHG lenses.
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post

My experiences are pretty much like yours John.

Though on the very odd occasion I have come across that type in real life.

The the truthful statement that I used to use Canon DSLR's before I switched to Olympus usually throws them off there stride.

Followed if need be by, have you used both systems for a extended period of time like me to come to a considered opinion?

That usually ends the conversation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Followed if need be by, have you used both systems for a extended period of time like me to come to a considered opinion?
But that makes you sound so old Paul!
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfk View Post
But that makes you sound so old Paul!
That's because I am!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 14th August 2011

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Talking Re: Am i invisible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
Now that it funny David, I like the idea of a Canon decoy lol.

I think a little of both there Ian
Agree, he was not impressed when he was flashing his shots in the clubhouse only for my Son to say to him "you want to see some of my Dads, they have exploding divots, sprays of sand out of bunkers, your`s all look so still and bland ", {never been one to mince words !},
It had nothing to do with technical excellence as Im a novice, just right place at the right time and not TOOOOOO fast a shutter.

E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one