Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen Mini E-PM1

Olympus Pen Mini E-PM1 The third of Olympus' third-generation Micro Four Thirds Pens and the smallest and lightest yet!

Old 5th August 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,229 Posts
Liked 1,644 Times in 736 Posts
Pen Mini E-PM1 board opens!

It's coming soon and it's the smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus yet, the Pen Mini - and this is where you can discuss it!

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th November 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Pen Mini E-PM1 board opens!

Just bought this camera on a recent visit to the US (it was an impluse purchase hands up!) and I cannot believe how much smaller it is compared to my E-PL1. Overall the picture quality is superb & I like the larger screen & feel of the camera in the hand. Still not sure about the control of functions using the menu button and the wheel on the back but maybe over time I will get used to it but for now I prefer the arrangement on the E-PL1 (similar still on the E-PL3).
I do like the 14-42mm IIR lens over the 14-42mm on the E-PL1 feels much nicer to use and the added bonus is when I use the Lee RF75 filter holder it doesnt rotate when you focus like the older lens which used to hunt under the weight of the holder.
These points matter if the Pen cameras are to be viewed as real alternatives to the DSLRs that Olympus no longer make for the amateur market.
The small flash that come bundled with it is perfectly fine to quick indoor photographs and has a case similar to the VF-2 finder that can attach to the camera strap.
Will post further when I have used the camera outside in a local wood where I can compare shots from previous Olympus cameras.
Old 12th August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems that the E-PM1 doesn't get any respect, to quote Rodney Dangerfield. Actually, I have only used mine for a short while and I am quite pleased with this camera as a travel camera. I generally shoot HDR (realistic) and the 7 requisite exposures this camera produces are nice. The finished shots have very low noise and great realistic colors.
Old 18th August 2012
Sprocketdog23

I have found it no less useable than my previous E-P1 which I traded it in for. It's smaller size was a real benefit to me as I use it mostly with the 14mm Panasonic lens, and it fits in my coat pocket. All respect to this lovely camera
Old 21st August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just spent a weekend at the beach for a religious retreat. I brought the E-PM1 along. It worked fantastically and was very easy to use. I shot in Aperture mode and any adjustments I needed to make were easy and quick. Hats off to Olympus' menu system. I found it as fast or faster than my larger and more traditional DSLRs.
Old 13th April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi guys .
I am looking for some info on the EPM1 .
and whether it can be set to do stop motion at say a frame every 5 seconds or whatever and you leave it to get on with it kind of thing ?
i found the word 'stop motion '' in the iauto settings ....[blur + stop motion ]
but it requires a manual press of the shutter ..

sorry for the vague terminology
thanks in advance
Old 13th April 2013
Administrator

Not that I am aware of. However, I have successfully used Triggertrap, which is a hardware and software combination that lets you shoot wirelessly via a smartphone or tablet, to produce time-lapse sequences (stop motion is really where animators take frames manually while adjusting their artwork).

See: http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=13323

You need to trawl through the thread to see the videos.

Ian

Old 14th April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is how to do time lapse photography with the lowly e-pm1:

Can this camera be used for time lapse photography?

This camera's ANTI-SHOCK function, located in (Custom Menu E), can be used in conjunction with the sequential shooting Drive mode to shoot time lapse photography sequences. The series of captured images can later be converted into movies using third party software, such as QuickTime Player Pro.

Anti-shock is used to delay firing the shutter after the shutter button has been pressed. This allows any vibration to dissipate before the exposure is made. Anti-shock allows intervals of up to 30 seconds to be preset.

When combined with sequential shooting, Anti-shock can be used to command the camera to shoot at preset intervals much like the way an intervalometer can control a camera. In this configuration, the camera will take the first picture when the shutter button is pressed and then it will continue to capture images at the preset interval for example, every 5 seconds until one of the following occurs:

The shutter button is released.
The memory card capacity is reached.
The camera records the maximum number of images. The limit varies depending on the selected record mode and the speed of the memory card.
Using the optional Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1) will be more convenient because the remote can be locked once the button on the remote control is pressed and the camera will continue to shoot unattended. To purchase the RM-UC1, click here.

Notes: Olympus recommends mounting the camera on a tripod or securing it with a camera clamp when shooting time lapse sequences. It is also recommended to use Manual Focus to prevent focus from shifting during the sequence. A lower quality record mode may have to be used to reduce the size of the frames when creating a movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mithrandir For This Useful Post:
Ian (29th April 2013)
Old 14th April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...and shoot in 16:9 format, 1280 long side, to avoid resizing problems when compiling the movie. You don't need the higher resolutions if the final goal is a time-lapse, and it really increases the number of pictures that fit on a card. Be prepared to spend plenty of time: I've spent 45 minutes to get 15 seconds of actual video, and if you are aiming for that dawn-to-dusk time lapse, that's also how long it will take. :-)

Oh, and battery life might be a consideration as well. I started using a hacked Canon P&S because it had a vastly better battery life running off two AA batteries than my EP1, and you can't really change batteries in mid-shoot without causing a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnF For This Useful Post:
shug (16th April 2013)
Old 14th April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not that I am aware of. However, I have successfully used Triggertrap, which is a hardware and software combination that lets you shoot wirelessly via a smartphone or tablet, to produce time-lapse sequences (stop motion is really where animators take frames manually while adjusting their artwork).

See: http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=13323

You need to trawl through the thread to see the videos.

Ian
yea Ian . ''time lapse ''
thats the one

thanks ..i'll check out the link
Old 16th April 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Here is how to do time lapse photography with the lowly e-pm1:

Can this camera be used for time lapse photography?

This camera's ANTI-SHOCK function, located in (Custom Menu E), can be used in conjunction with the sequential shooting Drive mode to shoot time lapse photography sequences. The series of captured images can later be converted into movies using third party software, such as QuickTime Player Pro.

Anti-shock is used to delay firing the shutter after the shutter button has been pressed. This allows any vibration to dissipate before the exposure is made. Anti-shock allows intervals of up to 30 seconds to be preset.

When combined with sequential shooting, Anti-shock can be used to command the camera to shoot at preset intervals much like the way an intervalometer can control a camera. In this configuration, the camera will take the first picture when the shutter button is pressed and then it will continue to capture images at the preset interval for example, every 5 seconds until one of the following occurs:

The shutter button is released.
The memory card capacity is reached.
The camera records the maximum number of images. The limit varies depending on the selected record mode and the speed of the memory card.
Using the optional Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1) will be more convenient because the remote can be locked once the button on the remote control is pressed and the camera will continue to shoot unattended. To purchase the RM-UC1, click here.

Notes: Olympus recommends mounting the camera on a tripod or securing it with a camera clamp when shooting time lapse sequences. It is also recommended to use Manual Focus to prevent focus from shifting during the sequence. A lower quality record mode may have to be used to reduce the size of the frames when creating a movie.

thanks bud ...
your a star ....Iwould never have sussed that out in a million years ..
Old 29th April 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks Mithrandir,

I too would never have sussed an intervalometer by using 2 existing features.
This is something I will have great fun experimenting with.
Old 29th April 2013
Administrator

Mithrandir's idea probably works with lost of Olympus camera models.

Ian

Old 29th April 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Mithrandir's idea probably works with lost of Olympus camera models.

Ian
I am pretty sure it will work with all the MFT cameras, and probably most, if not all, of four thirds.