Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

View Poll Results: For your next (Micro) Four Thirds camera do you want more or simply better pixels?
More pixels please. 1 1.75%
The same number but better quality pixels please. 51 89.47%
Not sure. 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts
Re: More pixels or better pixels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
No more pixels with four thirds but if you look at full frame (my eventual goal), the more the better.
Olympus will be more and more off the pace when it comes to attracting new people to photography. It is these people that think the higher the MP count, the better the camera.
Unfortunately.
Nikon seems quite happy to produce a couple of 12MP full frame models (D3s and D700), and these are very popular.

Meanwhile, Andy Elliot tells us that the 12MP E-5 is a match for the Canon EOS-5D Mark II full frame camera in terms of resolution even though the canon has a 22MP sensor.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Higher quality pixels at 12Mp resolution please.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
To drift off-topic a bit, I wondered about monochrome sensors. The sensors we use are basically monochrome devices which construct colour data by having lots more actual sensor sites than there are pixels, with coloured filters in front - the so-called Bayer Matrix. The processing the camera combines the data from the individual sites to give us RGB values. This has two effects - it vastly reduces the potential pixel count, and because each sensor site has two thirds of the light filtered out it limits low light sensitivity.

Having been used to shooting bands in badly lit pubs on black & white film, I could get quite excited about using a 30 Mpix sensor ran well at ISO 10000. It should be feasible using current technolology but sadly I suspect the market would be minuscule.

Ciao ... John still in the dark
Hi -

This is what I'd like as well. Plus binning the 12MP into 4MP to take the ISO to the moon: I'd rather have an exquisite, noise free image at 4MP than an exquisite, very noisy image as 12MP. You can never really get rid of that noise...

JohnF
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

12mp is fine for me, but better DR and less noise at high ISO would be lovely.... I've printed 20" x 30" from 6mp with no problems, so just can't think of a reason I need more than 12....
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

12mp is fine for prints I need to produce, and I suspect most people need to produce. What I want to see is better highlight and shadow detail along with wider usable ISO range.

Also the lenses we use today do not seem to resolve much better than 12mp at apertures we use. So increasing pixel count would not help much.

Gary
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 1,312 Times in 792 Posts

Go back to 10mp and give us the best quality possible.

And make it retro fit the E-410 and E-3.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Go back to 10mp and give us the best quality possible.

And make it retro fit the E-410 and E-3.
And the E-510

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 320 Times in 155 Posts

I am not sure I fully follow the more pixels vs quality issue. My simple understanding is that a pixel is like a grain it is a single point of one particular colour value. The more pixels you have the better the definition of youir final picture within glass limitations. Jpegs compress your filoe size. I have often told my friends not to buy a camera on pixel size it is only relevant if you want to print pictures on A3 A2 A1 A0 etc. Having said that I can see the advantage to larger pixels when you want to crop but the lens had better be good as well.

I think the voting ought to include better higher ISO images. You can but software that improves post pictures when shot with higher ISO so why not do the processing in camera.

I vote
1st better images at higher ISO
2nd more pixels
3rd better quality only because I feel pixels leads quality.

Just my twopennyworth.
Is Ian doing some market reaserch for Oly?

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 27th June 2011

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

8-10 MP in an E-1 body with a bigger rear LCD and more focus points, and I'd be in heaven!

To be honest, the 5MP it has do me pretty well - and the fact that you don't have an enormous ability to crop means I think a little more carefully before pressing the shutter button - to get the composition as right as I can first time around.
Old 28th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
I am not sure I fully follow the more pixels vs quality issue. My simple understanding is that a pixel is like a grain it is a single point of one particular colour value. The more pixels you have the better the definition of youir final picture within glass limitations. Jpegs compress your filoe size. I have often told my friends not to buy a camera on pixel size it is only relevant if you want to print pictures on A3 A2 A1 A0 etc. Having said that I can see the advantage to larger pixels when you want to crop but the lens had better be good as well.

I think the voting ought to include better higher ISO images. You can but software that improves post pictures when shot with higher ISO so why not do the processing in camera.

I vote
1st better images at higher ISO
2nd more pixels
3rd better quality only because I feel pixels leads quality.

Just my twopennyworth.
Is Ian doing some market reaserch for Oly?

John
My reasoning is that Panasonic has released the G3 with a 16MP LiveMOS sensor and maintained the quality (dynamic range, noise) of the pixels (usually when you increase the pixel density you lose quality, but clearly other improvements in the sensor hardware has compensated). The proposition is in the next generation of Olympus and Panasonic cameras we would prefer the G3 sensor with more pixels and maintained image quality per pixel or stay with 12MP and so benefit from the hardware improvements in the form of better quality pixels - more dynamic range and lower high ISO noise. The latter is theoretical, but entirely plausible, especially as at a similar pixel pitch Sony offers a significant improvement in dynamic range and noise.

I suppose I am doing market research, but only for the interest of everyone here

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hmm rumours of new 12meg olys out tomorrow does Ian know something i wonder
i believe for 4/3 we should keep at about 12meg to keep the onset of defraction within usable limits
Dave
Old 29th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

I think Olympus know that the optimum 4/3 sensor population is 12mp and will concentrate on other improvements in image quality for the forseeable future, despite virtually every other manufacturer, including Panasonic, jumping on the 16-18mp bandwaggon. These higher pixel counts are mainly to do with marketing and little to do with image quality in the real world, but when have Olympus been concerned with marketing their products by following the herd anyway? Traditionally they've always ploughed their own furrow and (to use another agricultural metaphor) I think they are about to reap the rewards and gather in the harvest of all their hard work developing the system.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th June 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
8-10 MP in an E-1 body with a bigger rear LCD and more focus points, and I'd be in heaven....
Me too, but don't forget the IBIS....
Old 10th July 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Just to put the whole thing in perspective this is a 100% crop of a photo taken on a Leica Digilux 2 camera with only 5.1 mp. Not only does it demonstrate the quality of German built Leica lenses (28-90mm EFL) but also that quality of pixels is of great importance. From in-camera jpeg. No pp except cropping.

David
Old 10th July 2011

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

I vote for better pixels.

More pixels are good and I would be glad to see a 16MP or 18MP camera from olympus. Zuiko lenses provide superb resolution and I believe they easily outresolve 10 and 12MP. The ability to crop 16 or 18MP images would be of great use for wild life or macro photography.

BUT! Olympus has to resolve more important issues than the pixel count.
12MP are very reasonable and adequate for most uses, as mentioned before, hi-end models of Nikon provide "just" 12MP.

High-ISO and DR performance are what Olympus have to concentrate on.
That's easier with fewer MP and far more important than pixel count.

E-5 seems to be on the right way but there is always room for improvement and development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
8-10 MP in an E-1 body with a bigger rear LCD and more focus points, and I'd be in heaven!
Amen to that!

I recently purchased an Olympus E-1 and I am amazed by the ergonomics of the camera.

May I also add IS function?