Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 9th April 2008
scanny

Currys whatever happens hell!

Hi all

After a series of problems with minidisk players many years ago and progressive upgading to from the basic model to top of the range i have taken up the extended warranty options from currys when buying ny electrical item i think may be at risk from me! I bought an e400 in June and took the whatever happens option for five years at 59. In march i was taking sunset shots whilst home from uni at my local beach and when changing from a 15-54 to 50mm the body slipped and plopped into a puddle thankfully it wasnt either of the lenses. It shorted immediatly and was submersed in the salt water. I got it home and called up the "Tech Guys" and explained what happened so they said to send it back in the packet they would send. Three weeks later, last thursday i called up to find out what was happening and i was told it had been repaired and had been sent back to me four days previous by dhl. It never arrived so the next day i called again, they said it had been sent next day delivery and would get a tracking no. for the item, taking 48 hours. i called back on monday and the person said there was no record of any of my previous calls and she would call me back that day to tell me where my tom tom was, its a camera dear! Pretty peed of i called up yesterday and they told me the item had been written off and a replacement/vouchers had been sent to me on monday.

I get the distinct impression there is no system in place at all to track repairs let alone give any details on the item. I dont have a clue what will arrive for me and when that will be. My only hope is that it is credit so i can by an e420!

Last edited by scanny; 10th April 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 9th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Currys whatever happens hell!

I suspect everything to do with them is contracted out.
Sadly this is how these box shifters seem to work. Hope you get an E420 out of it.
Old 9th April 2008
emirpprime

Eek! Nightmare story. Hope it all works out!
Phil
Old 9th April 2008
Scapula Memory

Do the extended warranties cover accidental damage? Most insurance companies would probably say that was your fault and not pay out, but maybe the extended ones cover any type of accident.
Old 9th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crikey! It seems really disorganised, but I hope you get enough to be able to buy a replacement camera.
Old 10th April 2008
scanny

Yeah, thats the only reason i took out the cover, they push to sell it heavily on the "if you drop it we will fix it for you". I had problems with several mini disk players that i destroyed out on my paper round when i was younger and they allways upgraded so i thought it may be useful for a camera. I doubt my household innsurer would have covered me for it. They should refund me the four years remaining on the cover also, just a shame they cant seem to get any form of answer to me. The surprise of something turning up should be intresting
Old 10th April 2008
ravenblack

Oh deary me! I work for the 'box shifters'!
I can only suggest this is an isolated case and the service customers get is generally OK.
I have purchased three camera's from Currys myself and two had to go to the SUPPLIER not the Tech Guys for repair. Even outside the 12 month supplier warranty and buying the extended warranty, my camera went to the supplier direct, got repaired and returned OK.
I am proud of working for the Dixons Group, and the Tech Guys are part of our Group. Not a 'contracted out' provider.
Part of my job is ensuring customer satisfaction with our large white goods and large screen TV deliveries. Like any business, mistakes do unfortunately happen.
I am sorry you have experienced an apparently poor level of service, but telling all on a forum like this, someone is bound to have some ties with the company you are complaining about!
Old 10th April 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

I never buy extended guarantees, my stuff is covered by my household insurance, maybe yours is too.
Dave.
Old 10th April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks to ravenblack for the correction about the 'TechGuys' being in-house.
I'd be interested to know what level of camera repair service they can do in-house and what has to get sent back to the supplier?

I'm afraid my experiences of Currys/Dixons and to be fair Comet, PC World and the like, has generally not been great – certainly at a level I would be unlikely to buy anything from them.

That's not to say independent shops are always best. There's a very critical thread on the Leica forum at the moment about a Camden dealer.

I think it's a good thing that people who work for these companies see these posts – hopefully someone in senior management might see it and do something about it.

I realise when you go in general electrical stores it's a bit pot luck about who you get as to the quality of any advice on offer, but I must be very unlucky and get the chap who's main interest is fridges and toasters.
Old 10th April 2008
scanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenblack View Post
Oh deary me! I work for the 'box shifters'!
I can only suggest this is an isolated case and the service customers get is generally OK.
I have purchased three camera's from Currys myself and two had to go to the SUPPLIER not the Tech Guys for repair. Even outside the 12 month supplier warranty and buying the extended warranty, my camera went to the supplier direct, got repaired and returned OK.
I am proud of working for the Dixons Group, and the Tech Guys are part of our Group. Not a 'contracted out' provider.
Part of my job is ensuring customer satisfaction with our large white goods and large screen TV deliveries. Like any business, mistakes do unfortunately happen.
I am sorry you have experienced an apparently poor level of service, but telling all on a forum like this, someone is bound to have some ties with the company you are complaining about!
There seems to be no fluidity between the information the call centre staff divulge, im just of the phone today to them and after a week no one can provide a tracking number for an item thats been with dhl for 10 days, they cant give an indication of the contents of the item and ive yet to have a call back on the five queeries that have been put through and told that "someone will contact you before tomorrow afternoon". I hope it is an issolated case. What can i do to get an answer from them? Will the call centre staff supervisors have greater access to resolve this or do i just have to wait for something to turn up
Old 10th April 2008

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
[B]Oh deary me!
I am proud of working for the Dixons Group, and the Tech Guys are part of our Group.
Isn't 'Mastercare' at Hemel Hempsted the repair side of the Dixons Group?

Mastercare had a pretty bad reputation 10-15 years back!

Jim
Old 10th April 2008
ravenblack

This is not really the platform for discussing such issues, especially when one (known) member has a vested interest. I suggest this thread is developed more along the lines of getting the issue resolved with the same apparent gusto as the complaints and negative comments.
I am not a subscriber to forums where a general slagging match is held without having a good idea of the particular issue, the business or it's operation.
I do subscribe to the view that mistakes do and can happen (such as dropping a camera into a salt water puddle) and having to learn from them.
I will be considering my continuing membership as my understanding was this forum is for photographers and those interested in photography using a particular brand of product. And not a gateway to venting anger or frustration regarding a particular service level received, combined with historical accounts of alleged poor reputations of any specific business. Furthermore, if this does continue I will have no choice but to forward the site and post details to the company involved.
Old 10th April 2008

Liked 1,598 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Furthermore, if this does continue I will have no choice but to forward the site and post details to the company involved.
Feel free to forward my comments (above) to whomsoever you wish!

Jim
Old 10th April 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is meant to be a photography forum. The first post was to report of an experience, but it seems to have gotten slightly off topic.

I do not work to the DSG group, and I have had both dreadful experiences and good experiences in dealing with its various customer facing outlets.

However comments like "Furthermore, if this does continue I will have no choice but to forward the site and post details to the company involved" do not help in this forum.
Old 10th April 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
There seems to be no fluidity between the information the call centre staff divulge, im just of the phone today to them and after a week no one can provide a tracking number for an item thats been with dhl for 10 days, they cant give an indication of the contents of the item and ive yet to have a call back on the five queeries that have been put through and told that "someone will contact you before tomorrow afternoon". I hope it is an issolated case. What can i do to get an answer from them? Will the call centre staff supervisors have greater access to resolve this or do i just have to wait for something to turn up
Sacnny: I'd suggest you contact head office or customer services of both your supplier and DHL. From what you have posted it seems to me that you have a legitimate complaint that needs to be dealt with.

Quote:
This is not really the platform for discussing such issues, especially when one (known) member has a vested interest. I suggest this thread is developed more along the lines of getting the issue resolved with the same apparent gusto as the complaints and negative comments.
I am not a subscriber to forums where a general slagging match is held without having a good idea of the particular issue, the business or it's operation.
I do subscribe to the view that mistakes do and can happen (such as dropping a camera into a salt water puddle) and having to learn from them.
I will be considering my continuing membership as my understanding was this forum is for photographers and those interested in photography using a particular brand of product. And not a gateway to venting anger or frustration regarding a particular service level received, combined with historical accounts of alleged poor reputations of any specific business. Furthermore, if this does continue I will have no choice but to forward the site and post details to the company involved.
Ravenblack: It seems to me that Scanny has a legitimate complaint, and though slightly borderline, this is an issue relating to service regarding an Olympus Camera and a supplier of Olympus goods and so to discuss this is not in violation of any of the e-group forum rules.

I feel your threats to forward details to the company concerned might even push them into helping one of their paying customers.

I shall keep this thread open for the time being as to me it seems relevant, but please do keep the discussion civil.

Thanks.