Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th January 2011

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts
Re: Which Printer?

One thing the Epson is very good for is black & white. I'm not sure how well the others cope - if it matters to you it's definitely something to check before buying.

Ciao ... John
Old 11th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
Thanks for all the info. I think I may save up for a Canon,The epson is ok when it works but I seem to spend more time clearing heads.
Might the problem be caused by the continuous ink supply rather than your Epson? I only mention this because yesterday Permajet sent me an email regarding their stand at the SWPP Trade Show this week and that mentioned their new Eco-Flow continuous ink systems is designed to avoid ink blockages:

"Unlike all other systems, the Eco-Flo can be left for prolonged periods without use by utilising the special tube clamps. With these engaged, ink cannot move or draw air into the print head over that time causing a situation referred to as ‘clogging’ or ‘blockage’ - a common daily problem with the cheaper far eastern units used by all other UK suppliers which do not have this essential feature!"

Of course, this may just be marketing speak and I have no idea how affective their continuous ink actually systems are, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention anyway. Have you raised your ink blockages problem with Permajet?

Padgreen
Old 11th January 2011

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
I had an Epson R800. I only used it occasionally and it lasted me five years. The prints, when printed with a decent custom profile, were superb. I had no problems with blocked prints heads in the time that I had it. In the end, it was the paper feed that failed.

I bought an Epson R2880 in November 2009. I still only use it occasionally. Again, the prints are superb. I have been using downloadable profiles for the brands of paper I use and all produce excellent results so I haven't felt the need to try and see if I can improve on them with custom ones. The only annoyance is having to swap the Glossy Black and Matte Black inks if you want to switch from Gloss to Matte paper and visa versa.

Ink costs are an issue, but there is no way around this if you want a good home printer. If you print a lot, a continuous ink unit might be worth considering: I gather they are a lot more reliable than when first introduced. Alternatively, if you have the money and want larger prints an Epson R3880 might be better value - ink costs are less for larger Epson printers.
I have had exactly the same experience. One thing I do is to turn the printer off and on every two days, it wastes a tiny amount of ink but is worth it.
Jim
Old 13th January 2011

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
Might the problem be caused by the continuous ink supply rather than your Epson? I only mention this because yesterday Permajet sent me an email regarding their stand at the SWPP Trade Show this week and that mentioned their new Eco-Flow continuous ink systems is designed to avoid ink blockages:

"Unlike all other systems, the Eco-Flo can be left for prolonged periods without use by utilising the special tube clamps. With these engaged, ink cannot move or draw air into the print head over that time causing a situation referred to as ‘clogging’ or ‘blockage’ - a common daily problem with the cheaper far eastern units used by all other UK suppliers which do not have this essential feature!"

Of course, this may just be marketing speak and I have no idea how affective their continuous ink actually systems are, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention anyway. Have you raised your ink blockages problem with Permajet?
Yes, I think you could be right on that one. I contacted Permajet and they sold me a kit to clear blockages! It worked well and the printer is running fine for the moment, I shall have to consider buying a new one sometime and I think it will be between the Epson 2880 and the big Canon..
Old 13th January 2011

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
...where as DSCL prints are consistant and bang on every time.

Dave
Another shout for DSCL from me. I think I paid about £1.40 each for 10 A3 sized prints before Christmas. Quick turnaround, Fuji processing, great quality and dirt cheap.

Nick

Last edited by Who's_E; 13th January 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added "A3" paper size
Old 14th January 2011
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I think that the answer to print head blocking is to turn the printer on and off on a regular basis, say every couple of days. This cycles ink through the heads.
I am keen to get a new A+ printer after the demise of my 1290 a few years ago. It would be the R2880 and I would use it a lot for camera club and other competitions. I like the control of the image but on the other hand there are some great commercial print houses out there - DS Colour Labs are really good, and inexpensive.
I can certianly vouch for the R2880, I've had one now for some time and to date (touch wood) have been trouble free, I use it for both print sales and for club comps.
Old 14th January 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Mmmmmm! This is an interesting one.

We currently run an Epson 4800 (A2) and Epson 1400 (A3+) and an Epson P50 (A4).
The 1400 and the P50 run on dye inks and very very rarely give any trouble with blocked print heads, or in fact any trouble at all, and they are worked very hard.
The Epson 4800 is a pigment ink printer and it occassionally has blocked print heads, this occurs whether it's running Epson ink or or very favourite ink/paper combo Lyson.
The two dye printers run on Fotospeed continuous ink systems and give exact reproduction as does the 4800.
We have in the past had an HP B9180 and what a piece of junk that was. When it worked it was superb but constant replacement of print heads (under warranty) and then a complete electronics breakdown relegated it to the bin.
We used to run an Epson 1290s on Jet Tec inks and had no trouble with that until it reached it's pre determined "end of life" then a quick visit to an Epson service agent rejuvenated it and we got another eight months out of it.

We us the Epson dye printers to print the backs of our greeting card range
and non critical bits and bobs for the business. Last year we sold over eight thousand cards and printed over two thousand (at least) other items.
A colleague however runs a Canon 9500 printer and the quality from that using Canon inks and paper is awe inspiring. But it's very slow, too slow I think for any commercial application. But for low level high quality archival prints I reckon it takes some beating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
yorky (14th January 2011)
Old 14th January 2011

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

I use DSCL for large prints, very good value. Scarcely ever bothered to print anything smaller on my 10 year old Deskjet but was tempted by the Canon Outlet Shop on eBay. I picked up an iP4600 for £34 with full Canon one year warranty. You may have to wait a bit to find what you want. Having said that there is currently a Pro9500 bidding at £245. If I had the desk space for it I might be tempted

Flickr
Old 18th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like Epson has replaced the R2880 with the R3000. It reportedly has larger capacity ink cartridges (so will be cheaper to run) and doesn't require the gloss and matte black cartridges to be swopped.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...-inch_printer/

http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printer...us-Photo-R3000

Padgreen