Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P1

Olympus Pen E-P1 The first Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera.

Old 30th September 2010
belpersnapper

New User

Hi

I bought myself an EP1 last month (August) from PC World Online 329.99. Recently added a 17mm lens to make it more portable.

I wanted an alternative to my Canon DSLR set up and didn't find that compacts did it for me. I read about the Canon guy on the forum who took a Pen with him to Cananda (?) and loved it - that sold it for me (that and the price of course).

I've been taking it around for a month and I LOVE IT. What a great camera it is and I've still got a lot to learn. Just upgraded the firmware for the camera & 17mm lens (so these were all taken with the original firmware).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timharr...7624987560702/

Interested to hear what you think.

Thanks
Old 30th September 2010
Radar

Re: New User

Welcome. The PEN is definately mightier than the sword Lots of creative photos in your photostream. After a while here you'll experience the friendliness amongst Olympus users that you'll sell your Canon and go Olympus full time
Old 30th September 2010
belpersnapper

Thanks for the welcome - I'm not sure that selling my Canon set up is an option but the Pen is definitely staying
Old 30th September 2010
E-P1 fan

I applaud your taste and judgement Tim. Is there a camera anywhere that can rival the E-P1. They are almost works of art and such a change from the usual black plastic.

I love my E-P1 and my old E1 set-up has now passed into history. With a G9 for grab shots and flash - the Pen does everything else.

Good shots btw
Old 30th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpersnapper View Post
Hi

I bought myself an EP1 last month (August) from PC World Online 329.99. Recently added a 17mm lens to make it more portable.

I wanted an alternative to my Canon DSLR set up and didn't find that compacts did it for me. I read about the Canon guy on the forum who took a Pen with him to Cananda (?) and loved it - that sold it for me (that and the price of course).

I've been taking it around for a month and I LOVE IT. What a great camera it is and I've still got a lot to learn. Just upgraded the firmware for the camera & 17mm lens (so these were all taken with the original firmware).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timharr...7624987560702/

Interested to hear what you think.

Thanks
Welcome.

Sounds like a great deal you got! Love your pictures on Flickr, a good advert for the Pen. Like your cat, Casper, too - reminds me of my Pumpkin.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st October 2010
belpersnapper

Once again thanks for the kind comments.

I have posted the photos almost straight from the camera - very little processing - just a little contrast added. I have set the camera to the 6:6 setting to make me try and think in that square format.

Why hasn't someone come up with the same setting for DSLR's ?? - obviously it is 'do-able' but none of the others have taken this on board. How useful for wedding photography when you need a square crop for the wedding albums prints.

I have searched the internet for a solution but they are all a bit 'Heath-Robinson' ie marking up the viewing screen with a permanent marker or scratching the viewing screen. Clearly Olympus know how to do it

Casper is a visitor to Dads garden - our cat is called Lottie. Here she is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timharr...7600260318535/

Sorry but these were taken with my 'other cameras' - does anyone know if the Pen Flash is worth the outlay ? Looks expensive for what it is but somewhat frustrating indoors without one.

Thanks
Old 4th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the FL-14 on my E-P1, haven't used it much, but it does seem to do a pretty good job and just like the body itself, it's a lovely piece of kit and is perfectly balanced on the E-P1 body.

There are a few around used, I managed to get one for 90 from a seller on Amazon, whereas I didn't really want to pay 150 for a new one. There are other options, there is the FL-20 Oly flash for example, it is slightly more powerful, but nowhere near as nice on top of a PEN, either to look at or handle as it is taller and less well balanced.

It might be worth putting a "Wanted" add in the buy and sell part of this forum.

I'm pleased you like the E-P1, I really like mine too, although I do miss having a viewfinder mainly because I worry that I'm introducing camera shake by having the camera out there on extended arms. Have you found this to be a problem as I did wonder about that when you said that compacts weren't for you?
Old 5th October 2010
belpersnapper

Thanks Michael - I think I'd be a lot happier to pay 90 for a flash than the 140 ish I've seen them for.

I see that you can possibly get a flash trigger to use the flash guns I already have for the C*n*n - might be worth investing less than 20 for that option.

I got an optical viewfinder with my 17mm lens and with a bit of trial and error I use it most of the time. Only thing is there isn't any info in the viewfinder so you have to wary of camera shake without realising.

The Pen is all thats quirky - and I love it !
Old 12th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I want an E-5 and once street pricing has lopped a few hundred off it, I could just about fund it by selling my E-3, plus (sadly) selling my E-P1 plus lenses, flash and adapter. If you're interested, my posting is on the for sale part of this forum.