Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 27th October 2017

Liked 460 Times in 242 Posts
Re: Cameras and Aircraft (again)

Apart from "'cause they can", why on earth do camera manufacturers charge so much for their batteries. Surely they know that many people will buy/try the cheaper batteries available purely because of the cost. If the original batteries were brought down to a 'reasonable price', say half what they charge now, people would have no hesitation in buying them. Same as printer ink .... but don't get me going on that as well
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I've just looked out my Miranda 35 GT film camera (60,s era) - hence my cheapskate remark - and found I still had 3 film cannisters with used film plus one still in the camers???.

The big Q is, do I attempt to have it/them processed? May have photo's from my time spent in Singapore, Malasia, Borneo 64 - 67 and Kuwait 70 -74.
Yes, please. THen we all will know what they were like during that period.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wally (4th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 460 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
In the case of printers, the situation has now become totally ridiculous in relation to "original inks". Manufacturers are simply making more profit from the ink than the sale of the printer. Last Xmas, Tesco's had a printer on sale for around 17 complete with 4 ink cartridges ( prob less ink than replacements ). The price for 4 replacement ink cartridges was, from memory around 15.

Camera manufacturers are well aware that many users will only purchase original equipment as opposed to 3rd party alternatives which means they can price accessories such as batteries at any level they wish to. Like printer manufacturers they possibly make as much profit or more from the accessories as they do from camera sales.

I have used compatible inks and 3rd party batteries for years now, saved a fortune, and never had a problem with any.

John
Hi John

Yes, the printer is sometimes virtually given away in the hope that people will buy the original inks for the life of the printer. It's almost worth buying a new printer when the inks run out in some instances . I also dislike the 'all in one' ink cartridge printers that manufacturers are so happy to push on us. The black ink runs out .... go buy another ink cartridge, regardless of whether the cyan, magenta or yellow are virtually full

As far as batteries are concerned, I still think that manufacturers would make much more profit, via much higher sales, if they halved their battery prices. I would certainly buy originals .... but only if the price was right.

I, like yourself, have always used third party batteries for both my and my wife's cameras and inks (for my 5 cartridge printer) for a very long time. Yes, I've had battery failures but only after the battery doesn't owe me anything anyway. If a third party battery lasts, say, three years and costs less than a quarter of an original, then 12 years later I'm still ahead. Third party inks have never (touch wood) caused me any problems.
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
In the case of printers, the situation has now become totally ridiculous in relation to "original inks". Manufacturers are simply making more profit from the ink than the sale of the printer. Last Xmas, Tesco's had a printer on sale for around 17 complete with 4 ink cartridges ( prob less ink than replacements ). The price for 4 replacement ink cartridges was, from memory around 15.

John
My father once brought me a second hand printer that was unused just came without ink. When I investigated the 6 replacement cartridge from the OEM where 16 each (Total 96) while a new printer with the inks was 86. I got 3rd party inks for it - all 6 for 18 and it worked well on these for several years.
Old 4th November 2017

Thanked 1,113 Times in 698 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixkh View Post
Yes, please. THen we all will know what they were like during that period.
Have had a conversation on Friday with a friend... who has a friend that might do the bix? Will find out later nexr week and see what is involved. I have to admit, I too am curious as to what might be in the mix. I'm almost 100% certain that the films are positives / slides? So once again, this might need sorting out if they come out OK ifor transferring to digital? In the mean-time my eyesight, hopefully will continue to improve over the next two months.

With luck, it looks like the Canon beastie will be coming back out of retirement as I don't have the Oly gear set-up to do the conversion.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 5th November 2017

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Wally - it will be worth trying to process the films. Be prepared for disappointment though as they may have faded away to nothing, but you will never know unless you try. If any are Kodachrome I'm not sure whether it is possible to develop them at all now, it used different chemicals which were toxic and bad pollutants, I think.

We have a photo lab here in Salisbury that will hand-develop films, and they like a challenge! It is Salisbury Photo Centre, they are good folks and do a lot of work for the local pro photogs. Website: https://www.fujilab.eu/ I reckon if anyone can savage old photos they can, and they could also do basic scans to make it easy to see what you've got.

Good luck whatever you decide ... John
Old 5th November 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Wrt Kodachtome just change the soup and develop as B&W https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...-64-in-b-and-w

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (5th November 2017)
Old 5th November 2017

Liked 712 Times in 478 Posts

Didn't know that, thanks Steve.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (5th November 2017)